LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Opinion LS 460 Vs. Mercedes S550 4Matic, Views!

Old 01-10-11, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OBRon
Please tell me the difference between the standard and air suspension. I ordered a 460L with standard suspension but haven't gotten it yet. I'm under the impression that the standard suspension is soft and similar to the air when set to normal or comfort. Setting to Sport stiffens it.

I'm not interested in a firm ride because of my bad back. That's why I also ordered the standard 18" wheels.
no, noticeable difference if you ask me. air suspension has far better rebounce and the ride quality is definitely smoother. even my wife can tell that. setting normal suspension to soft still wont' get you the kind of air suspension ride
Old 01-10-11, 10:59 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

yeah thats important good thing I found out now!
Old 01-10-11, 11:55 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no, that's just avs. you need the specific height high button by its own
Just as Henry said!!!! What's new bro? How's the lil one doing? She and mommy doing okay? I'll be seeing you out in the OC in a few months!
Old 01-11-11, 10:52 AM
OBRon
Rookie

no, noticeable difference if you ask me. air suspension has far better rebounce and the ride quality is definitely smoother. even my wife can tell that. setting normal suspension to soft still wont' get you the kind of air suspension ride
I'm not sure what rebounce is--rebound? More responsive? One of the reasons why I wanted to steer clear of the air suspension is because it comes with VGRS and that was a recall problem last year. Basically, it's fly by-wire steering that further isolates the driver from road feel like the air suspension does.

I'm still scratching my head over what's best for me.
Old 01-11-11, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OBRon
I'm not sure what rebounce is--rebound? More responsive? One of the reasons why I wanted to steer clear of the air suspension is because it comes with VGRS and that was a recall problem last year. Basically, it's fly by-wire steering that further isolates the driver from road feel like the air suspension does.

I'm still scratching my head over what's best for me.
yes, basically the suspension response to the road.

i am not sure what you are looking for though. are you looking for smoothness or connection? if you have more feel, likely the ride won't be as smooth. that's what air suspension does, it disconnects you from the road (well, in some sense) so the ride is smoother.

vgrs recall was last yr, now it's good already. and it's just variable gearing. from my driving, with or without it doesn't really affect what kins of steering response i get (which is very few to begin with anyway)
Old 01-11-11, 11:18 AM
OBRon
Rookie

Well, I just got word that my new 460L just got off the truck at the dealership. Good thing, too, because it came from Newark and they're expecting a foot of snow there tonight. I'll pick up the car tomorrow afternoon. I asked the salesman if there was an appreciable difference between air in normal mode and standard and he says he can't tell. Everyone has different degrees of sensitivity. Sure hope I like my new ride.
Old 01-11-11, 11:24 AM
OBRon
Rookie

i am not sure what you are looking for though. are you looking for smoothness or connection? if you have more feel, likely the ride won't be as smooth. that's what air suspension does, it disconnects you from the road (well, in some sense) so the ride is smoother.

vgrs recall was last yr, now it's good already. and it's just variable gearing. from my driving, with or without it doesn't really affect what kins of steering response i get (which is very few to begin with anyway)
I sure appreciate your insights, rominl. I'm coming from a 1998 Mercury Sable LS so I'm sure the LS 460L will feel a lot better. You know, the L is less than 4-inches longer than my Sable but it weighs 1,000 lbs. more. I'll try to get used to it.
Old 01-11-11, 11:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you will love it . Congrats. I still get all giddy whenever I get behind the wheel. Its awesome to work your *** off all day and then get to climb into an amazing car like the LS at the end of the day. Makes it all better.
Old 01-11-11, 01:43 PM
bigblack06

for him I think comfort woul cover the entire thing for him. and I believe he would like something that keeps the driver in tune with the road.
Old 01-11-11, 03:40 PM
bigblack06

So decided to look at the benzworld forum and the truth really hit me, the Merecedes Benz S550 is a wonderful and sexy car but the amount of problems I saw on the site amazed, compared to Lexus the major issues with engine problems and the Service B which is required my father doesn't need all that headache so I think he should stick to Lexus LS460L. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 01-11-11, 05:59 PM
elite7
Driver

Looks like you are already going for the LS460 based on your post above but in terms of your question LS 460 Vs. Mercedes S550 4Matic? LS460 all the way. I went to a Mercedes dealership about a month ago just out of curiosity to see the S550 and i didnt like the S550 in terms of both the exterior and interior. I didnt even want to drive it. In my mind by sitting in the S550 and playing with the technology such as the jog wheel as well as the soft close doors the S550 was a major downgrade compared to my 2008 LS460.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I noticed in the link you provided for the LS460 it doesnt have the Mark Levinson radio. Definitely make sure you listen to the sound system in a Mark Levinson equipped LS460 and a stock LS460.

In my opinion i wont buy the Lexus LS line without the Mark Levinson because its worth every penny. I made sure it was in my 2005 LS430 and now my 2008 LS460.

Soft close doors are another really nice option.

Last edited by elite7; 01-11-11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 10:55 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by elite7
I noticed in the link you provided for the LS460 it doesnt have the Mark Levinson radio. Definitely make sure you listen to the sound system in a Mark Levinson equipped LS460 and a stock LS460.

In my opinion i wont buy the Lexus LS line without the Mark Levinson because its worth every penny. I made sure it was in my 2005 LS430 and now my 2008 LS460.

Soft close doors are another really nice option.
it does have Mark Levinson

Edit: Oh sorry we changed the Lexus to this one at the same dealership.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 01-12-11, 09:55 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
it does have Mark Levinson

Edit: Oh sorry we changed the Lexus to this one at the same dealership.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Nice choice . Yeah i see this one has Mark Levinson its pretty loaded with options. Good color combo. I have a black interior after only owning beige interiors and from now on i will be sticking with black.
Old 10-02-21, 09:15 PM
Style
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTALEX
Air suspension is a must that I agree with! The center console should have a ride height button! If it's there, your safe. Can't tell by the pics and the description doesn't mention it! HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE RIDE, not to mention you can lower or raise tour car if you also decide to add the Preatigous Society Car Module Controller. Best and first item I bought for it after I bought my LS. There are plenty out there so take your time looking! You will find one out there!
the ls I have has got to be the worst driving car I've ever owned coming back to this thread thinking about picking up an s class, lexus couldnt get any worse then 2007 ls460l huge difference in ride comment has me shaking my head like.. what an inconsistent piece of junk.
Old 10-02-21, 10:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Style
the ls I have has got to be the worst driving car I've ever owned coming back to this thread thinking about picking up an s class, lexus couldnt get any worse then 2007 ls460l huge difference in ride comment has me shaking my head like.. what an inconsistent piece of junk.
I'm actually somewhat dissapounted I'm the early LS460s also , they have some issues forsure

But , if your car droves that bad you most likely have control arm and or suspension issues

When everything's in working order they do drive wonderfully, that's what's good about them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion LS 460 Vs. Mercedes S550 4Matic, Views!