Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Vibration while driving.

Old 12-09-10, 01:30 PM   #1
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

Default Vibration while driving.

Hey guys I have been noticing some vibration from the rear of the car while cruising between 75-78 mph. I had the tires balanced at Lexus 2 weeks ago and the car feels better but not perfect. I called the service advisor and he said the read out on the balance sheet showed that the tires were balanced perfectly but they will look at it again. Are there any other members who might have an idea of what else it could be? My issue is that I am going to have a set of 22's installed on Monday and I want to make sure nothing is wrong with the car itself because once the aftermarket wheels go on the dealership basically washes their hands of the vibration issues. The tires on the stock wheels are brand new and maybe have 1000 miles on them. Do you guys think its just a balance issue ???
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 07:03 PM   #2
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

if the wheels are road force balanced already then i think they should be good. can you qualify more about the vibration? how is it from the rear? to be sure the tires don't have bubbles and wheels not bent right?
Old 12-09-10, 07:56 PM   #3
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The vibration is mild to moderate. I can see the passenger seat kind of vibrating at those speeds ( only noticeable when the sunlight is shining into the car ). My GS used to the same thing but the LS is on stock wheels( right now ). My service advisor said he will look at it but still insisted that the balance paper work showed that the tires were balanced perfectly. As far as a dented wheel I am assuming they would have noticed something like that when balancing the wheels. I am going to be installing my new 22's this monday so I am hoping that the issue will go away with a fresh new set of wheels and tires. If not we all know what happens when we complain about vibrations with aftermarket wheels at the dealership.. My service advisor is top notch but I know they can only do so much.

BTW is it even possible to dent a wheel with a 50 series tire. You never know though. The car did come from Nebraska so I know the car may have had a couple of run ins with some ruff roads. You never know.

As always , thanks for your help Henry

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
Old 12-09-10, 08:17 PM   #4
Nospinzone

From what you state it almost certainly has to be a tire balancing issue. I would bet anything that your new wheels and tires (properly balanced of course) will solve the problem.

And yes, you can definitely dent a wheel with a 50 profile, even a 75 can be dented.
Nospinzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 10:24 PM   #5
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha i have seen stock 16" wheels got bent from hitting pothole. but of course, that's a bit extreme.

i can't think of anything else that can cause the vibration, but if it's anything other than the wheels (knock on wood, suspension?), then the 22s will likely "magnify" the problem so you will notice it even more
Old 12-10-10, 12:25 AM   #6
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

what I am really hoping to avoid is having to take off the the 22's and put on the stock wheels so they can figure out if it is a suspension issue or something random. Are you aware of any suspension issues with the LS that could be causing this? My service advisor says these cars are bullet proof

Old 12-10-10, 12:39 AM   #7
rominl
exclusive matchup

i wouldn't say the car is bullet proof, but i haven't really heard of any common problem on the suspension though (regular setup)
Old 12-10-10, 08:50 AM   #8
10LxLS460L
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration In Rear On New LS460L

My wife took possession of a new 2010 LS460L (less than 40 miles on the car) this week after test driving the vehicle around the dealership. When she was driving home she noticed a vibration in the car on the highway at speeds of about 65-70 mph. I drove the car and noticed it as well. We took it back to the dealership. They rebalanced the tires and the vibration did not go away. The vibration was coming from the rear so they moved the rear tires to the front. The vibration did not go away. Then they took tires and wheels from a vehicle with no known vibration issues and put them on the car. The vibration went away. The dealership said the tires were out of round and most likely due to the car sitting for an extended period of time (donít know how long that was). Needless to say, I was relieved it was nothing more than the tires. I wanted to post this to inform others that a perfectly balanced tire and flawless wheel can still present vibration problems when it may possibly be out of round tires.
10LxLS460L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 06:21 AM   #9
iceman76
Driver

Eyston Ashan Austin Eyston Austin vinative

So possible out of round tires for the OP. Wow, never heard of it, but it does make sense.
iceman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 09:08 PM   #10
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am installing the 22's the day after tomorrow. I am praying all will go smoothly. I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 245/30/22 and 295/25/22.

Old 11-11-14, 04:28 PM   #11
bob3636
Driver School Candidate

My car was completely fixed with the new tires and road force balancing. It took a week to get the balance correct. I am scared of what will happen when these tires eventually wear out.
Get a copy of the technical service bulletin # L-SB-0147-08 (Abnormal Driveline Drone/Vibration Between 55-65 MPH) and bring it to the dealer. That is what I did.
bob3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-14, 07:30 AM   #12
waynedog
Driver

I have another recent thread (CPO process - tires?) on the same issue. My tires are virtually new Micheline Pilot Sport tires that the dealer has road forced balanced 3 times. They even took each wheel off and repaired any imperfections. Vibration is reduced but still there. They say it is the tires, they are not perfect and that is the best they can do without replacing tires (at my cost). Have been discussing the the dealer GM and will go meet with him and have him ride with me. Have been driving on Michelins for 30 years and never had this problem before.
waynedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-14, 06:46 AM   #13
DavidinCT
Lead Lap

TheCoolDave DavidinCT DavidinCT
Send a message via ICQ to DavidinCT Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman76 View Post
So possible out of round tires for the OP. Wow, never heard of it, but it does make sense.
I guess you really do learn something new every day....

2001 LS430 Blue Onyx Pearl, Navigation / Mark Levinson
2nd LS, Lexus owner from 1999
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-14, 06:46 AM