LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

change trans oil&filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 09:59 AM
sulaiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change trans oil&filter

any body change transmission filter& oil .how often? i have ls460 2007 now 71k mile. I ve checked the manual no mention of changing the trans fluid or the filter only inspection trans for leaks..my dealer insist of changing trans fluid &filter every 70000 km asper lexus recommendation .BY the way my country very hot & dusty may be this the reason..........???????????
Old 12-03-10, 12:34 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The tranny's fluid has to be checked for leakages, but not changed. It's completely sealed and doesn't require change.

This issue has been discussed here before. You may use the search engine here and have a look at a Lexus document that talks about this issue in detail.
Old 12-03-10, 01:32 PM
sulaiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same

Jf nash can you check your pm
Old 10-11-14, 07:34 PM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have just changed the transmission filter and fluid.
it is NOT "completely" sealed, check my other thread for the gruesome images of metal shavings on a 92,000miles LS460 transmission pan.
Old 10-11-14, 07:54 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Link to the other thread?
Old 10-11-14, 08:42 PM
Persocon
Driver

Originally Posted by greg3852
Link to the other thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-bollocks.html
Old 10-11-14, 10:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice bucket of coffee ya got there! LOL.

I had my dealer change out my fluid for 148 bucks taxes in. With the requirement of Techstream to do this job and all, I figured I'd let them do it.
Old 10-11-14, 11:53 PM
Persocon
Driver

that is a very good deal!
my local dealer wants $380 for a drain and refill, which does nothing considering there is still 7 quarts of dirty filthy fluid with lots of metal shavings in there. And that doesn't include changing out the who knows how clogged filter, (probably all by-pass now).

does your $148 deal include changing of the filter? and also hooking it up to a machine to replace all 10 quarts of fluid inside the torque converter and everywhere else?

It actually does not require tech stream to do this job, there is a shifting sequence to put the transmission in fluid temperature detection mode.
Old 10-12-14, 05:54 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I changed mine out at 73k miles, the fluid was dark...which made me think I had to drop the pan and change the filter (which I did), but in all honesty everything was very good in there (magnets weren't covered very much).

At the dealer the parts guy told me this fluid changes it's color very fast - to dark - I'm not sure if I believe him because he thought the car had a metal strainer for a filter (when it actually has a replaceable paper filter). The guy told me "all lexus cars have the strainer". I told him I had the pan off and it definitely was a paper filter, which I got at a local parts store for $50 bucks, including the new gasket.

One thing is certain, I would not let this fluid go past 100k. I read somewhere on the internet that in the Middle East they change the tranny fluid on these cars very 50k, probably due to the heat. And I will say this, I have never seen tranny fluid get that dark before as it had on my car with only 72k on it. There is a thread on this site where a guy sent his fluid to black stone laboratories to have it tested at 100k...the fluid increased in viscosity, it had high levels of aluminum and other metals in it (probably due to planetary gear set wear, clutch material, etc). All in all the tests weren't all that bad...acidic levels were relatively low, but personally I'd want to change it just to gradually get some of those contaminants out. I understand that abrasives aren't necessarily a bad thing to clutch packs, but excessively high levels aren't good for a valve body either, especially if they block a solenoid.

So I did the tranny fluid change, with filter and new gasket. I got every drop of fluid out - more so by accident - because I initially did a drain and refill...changed my mind and decided to drop the pan a week later. Then a week latter I was concerned I didn't fill it properly and ended up changing even more fluid. I will be doing 30k drain and refills from here on out. I will never drop that pan again. Nor will I ever put myself through the fluid level check procedure (heating the fluid up, jumping the connectors at the DLC, shifting it 6 times through the gears, pulling the over flow plug, get the fluid to lightly stream out). I will simply drain it, measure what I took out and fill the same amount back in through a pump.
Old 10-12-14, 09:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Persocon
that is a very good deal!
my local dealer wants $380 for a drain and refill, which does nothing considering there is still 7 quarts of dirty filthy fluid with lots of metal shavings in there. And that doesn't include changing out the who knows how clogged filter, (probably all by-pass now).

does your $148 deal include changing of the filter? and also hooking it up to a machine to replace all 10 quarts of fluid inside the torque converter and everywhere else?

It actually does not require tech stream to do this job, there is a shifting sequence to put the transmission in fluid temperature detection mode.
No, it did not include dropping the pan or changing the filter, but DID include flushing of all fluid.

So I did the tranny fluid change, with filter and new gasket. I got every drop of fluid out - more so by accident - because I initially did a drain and refill...changed my mind and decided to drop the pan a week later. Then a week latter I was concerned I didn't fill it properly and ended up changing even more fluid. I will be doing 30k drain and refills from here on out. I will never drop that pan again. Nor will I ever put myself through the fluid level check procedure (heating the fluid up, jumping the connectors at the DLC, shifting it 6 times through the gears, pulling the over flow plug, get the fluid to lightly stream out). I will simply drain it, measure what I took out and fill the same amount back in through a pump.
LOL. Which is why 148 dollars looked so good! All done to Lexus spec.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-12-14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 05:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

How many quarts of fluid did they use for the flush?
Old 10-12-14, 06:10 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
How many quarts of fluid did they use for the flush?
No idea, but it was 50 dollars of WS fluid in bulk.
Old 10-12-14, 10:58 PM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone post a DIY on just drain and refill with pics? Thanks.
Old 10-13-14, 07:27 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No idea, but it was 50 dollars of WS fluid in bulk.
Hmmm.......... at 10 bucks a quart for WS, sounds like they only did a drain and fill (?)