LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dirty Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 06:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
anybody have an idea why i can't have a signature?

i'd like to add a pic.
You need to be here for 30 days & 30 posts before that feature turns on for you (spam prevention).
Old 02-20-11, 07:36 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You need to be here for 30 days & 30 posts before that feature turns on for you (spam prevention).
gotcha.

thanks.
Old 02-23-11, 07:32 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

great tip guys will do it after mine get dirty
Old 02-23-11, 09:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I picked up a can of it yesterday at Walmart. I have to try it but I am moving this week and have NO time
Old 02-23-11, 10:57 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Remember if your tips are really dirty (baked on carbon) you will need the sanding sponge to remove the build up, then finish the tips off with the Eagle One's Nevr-Dull for nice shine.
Old 02-23-11, 11:37 AM
kainedogg
Driver School Candidate

I use the buffing wheel attached to a drill for my Nissan's exhaust.
Old 02-23-11, 12:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up guys
Old 10-27-12, 05:51 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

great tip. i will give it a try too thanks
Old 10-27-12, 10:32 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This might be a stupid question, but do you clean the tips with them in place, or do you somehow remove them from the bumper for cleaning?
Old 10-27-12, 11:13 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much of a hassle to take them off, you can do it with them on, however if you're using the sanding sponge be careful not to sand your bumper.
Old 10-27-12, 08:39 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used scotch brite, but it didn't get as clean as Tee's with foam sander. I'll give this a shot. It looks like it'll do a better job.
Thanks Tee!
Old 10-28-12, 12:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tee
I have this

used it on my 430's aftermarket tips it worked great but not on the 460's tips. The first owner leased the car and by the looks never had them cleaned, the carbon looks cooked or baked on to the tips. I have to say the 460 puts out some serious heat compared to the 430, thx for the suggestion tho.
I use the same stuff. It works rally well. The key is to not let it get to bad .
Old 10-28-12, 06:49 AM
btdt22
Driver School Candidate

Very fine wet/dry sandpaper worked fine for me. Took only minutes. Look in the body repair section of your local auto parts store
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-15-18)
Old 10-28-12, 07:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You have remove the bumper to remove the exhaust tips.

The sanding sponge will remove the baked on caked up carbon, to avoid sanding your bumper put painters tape around but you can free hand it if you are careful. Once you get them clean hit with the Nevr-Dull and stay on top of them so they don't get in bad shape, like I8ABMR said that is key and makes cleaning them cake!
Old 10-28-12, 03:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I didn't see this thread when it was first posted. I could have saved you guys a lot of grief. I no longer use any abrasive on any polished surface, although the exhaust tips are not that visible so its not a big deal. The product you need is Wham Bam. I know what you thinking, forget the name, use it and watch the results.

I have had several Harley motorcycles. If you ever look at the exhaust pipes on any motorcyle, right where the pipe starts at the head and at least for several inches down you will see heat discoloration (unless of course there's a chrome outer shell). About 12 years ago at Laconia (NH) Bike Week I saw a guy who had a vendor booth demo this product on a bike. He rubbed this product on the exhaust pipes and after repeated applications the heat discoloration came right off. I would have bet a year's pay you couldn't remove that discoloration. I had tried everything with absolutely no results. Even though I saw it with my own eyes I didn't believe it. I was thinking maybe it was a set up and the other guy with the bike was a shill.

I told the guy I didn't believe it and he invited me to bring my bike over. I did and he rubbed this Wham Bam product on one of my exhaust pipes. It took a while. He didn't have to rub hard, but he did have to rub repeatedly. Sure enough the heat discoloration was gone. I still didn't believe it and thought the discoloration would come right back. Well it didn't and I have been a loyal customer ever since. I've since used this on some badly discolored home heat registers with excellent results (and this was after a professional couldn't do anything with them and various other metal polishes didn't work).

I have bought this at bike shows (only a couple times because a bottle will last a long time if you are just doing occasional small jobs). However, here is their website - http://thepabamguy.com/. The product you want is the WhamBAM All Metal Polish.

I know this probably sounds like a sales pitch, but I have no financial interest in the company. It is simply the most extraordinary metal cleaner I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Dirty Exhaust Tips