LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended warranty recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:53 AM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty recommendations

I have a 2008 LS 460. I have 43k so far in my car so I am thinking about getting extended warranty. Any recommendations and experiences on what you paid?
Old 11-05-10, 01:59 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

There are two places to check on the Lexus Platinum warranty. It's 7 yrs/100,000 miles.

They have offered the best prices I've seen...

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
1-800-530-5789

Troy Dietrich
Greenfield Toyota
413-772-0231
Old 11-05-10, 02:40 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are driving the most reliable car on the road. No need for an extended warranty. If something breaks, pay to fix it when it happens.... if it happens.....because statically it won't break and you will waste several thousand $$$$ on a warranty that you will never use. This isn't a Jaguar or Land Rover or BMW.
Old 11-06-10, 09:31 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

There are many different options on the Lexus platinum warranty, ranging from 6 years to 8 and from 75k to 125k I think.

I just got the 8 year 75k for my 07 LS460L (only has 24k now) from Jerry Johnson at midwest Toyota, he was best price by $200 from the other warranty discounters, which is a LOT less than list pricing.
Old 11-06-10, 09:36 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

And Miniz, I have to disagree with you there. There is just too much technology in these cars today. Toyota reliability aside, there is just too much "stuff" in these cars for the warranty to not be a great idea. I didn't hesitate to get it once I was fully aware of how much tech is in these cars. And when you consider the smallest thing at the Lexus dealer sets you back into the hundreds, spending $1765 for another 4 year 50k warranty (in my case) just seems stupid not to do it.

I should also add that I've NEVER bought an extended warranty for ANYTHING before in my life.
Old 11-06-10, 09:38 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Has your car had the VSR done yet? If not, you could be entitled to a FREER extended warranty from Lexus! (Power Train only, not Bumper to Bumper!)

Not 100%, but I don't see why you wouldn't be if you haven't had the Recall Corrected yet!
Old 11-07-10, 02:50 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have not had the VSR done yet, then I definitely recommend purchasing the Platinum Warranty BEFORE getting the VSR done.

I contacted Lexus USA and confirmed the following:

If you have the Platinum Warranty and then have the VSR done, Lexus, USA will send you a $500 gift card to be used for parts or service at your Lexus dealer, along with a $1500 coupon valid for one year, towards the purchase of a new Lexus. (This is basically equivalent to getting a discount of $500 off the cost of the Platinum Warranty).

If you do not have the Platinum warranty before you have the VSR done, Lexus will give you a 6 yr, 100,000 mile powertrain only warranty and the $1500 coupon.

FYI, I received my VSR recall letter this past Monday and on Thursday purchased my Platinum Warranty from Jerry Johnson. Once I receive the Platinum Warranty documents, I will call my dealer and schedule the VSR.

I can confirm what "dormie" said in his reply above- I checked the three highly recommended warranty sellers and Jerry Johnson offered the best price. He was very easy to deal with and returned my telephone calls promptly.

Reminder: All the warranties are based from the date the car was originally sold to the first retail customer.
Old 11-07-10, 07:56 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean1
If you have not had the VSR done yet, then I definitely recommend purchasing the Platinum Warranty BEFORE getting the VSR done.

I contacted Lexus USA and confirmed the following:

If you have the Platinum Warranty and then have the VSR done, Lexus, USA will send you a $500 gift card to be used for parts or service at your Lexus dealer, along with a $1500 coupon valid for one year, towards the purchase of a new Lexus. (This is basically equivalent to getting a discount of $500 off the cost of the Platinum Warranty).

If you do not have the Platinum warranty before you have the VSR done, Lexus will give you a 6 yr, 100,000 mile powertrain only warranty and the $1500 coupon.

FYI, I received my VSR recall letter this past Monday and on Thursday purchased my Platinum Warranty from Jerry Johnson. Once I receive the Platinum Warranty documents, I will call my dealer and schedule the VSR.

I can confirm what "dormie" said in his reply above- I checked the three highly recommended warranty sellers and Jerry Johnson offered the best price. He was very easy to deal with and returned my telephone calls promptly.

Reminder: All the warranties are based from the date the car was originally sold to the first retail customer.
I dont have the Platinum warranty and just received my letter stating that I will get the 500 credit card for parts and service and the they did include the 1500 cert for my next lexus. I am having my VSR work done next month. It may be that they are counting CPO as a premium warranty and as such giving the owners the 500 credit also. I bought mine Dec of last year CPO

Last edited by cmasten; 11-07-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 09:42 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dormie
And Miniz, I have to disagree with you there. There is just too much technology in these cars today. Toyota reliability aside, there is just too much "stuff" in these cars for the warranty to not be a great idea. I didn't hesitate to get it once I was fully aware of how much tech is in these cars. And when you consider the smallest thing at the Lexus dealer sets you back into the hundreds, spending $1765 for another 4 year 50k warranty (in my case) just seems stupid not to do it.

I should also add that I've NEVER bought an extended warranty for ANYTHING before in my life.
There is a lot of tech in this car, yes, but very few items actually break. As I said, this is not a Jaguar or Land Rover. Warranty companies aren't in business because they loose money. The house always wins and in most warranty cases, they do win. That's why they post amazing profits each and every year. Statistically, the LS has been and still is the crown of the reliability stats. Nobody said you must use a dealer to repair failure, either. Indy shops can repair your car for half the price of the dealer, should, in the rare case something fails. Keep track of what your repairs total in the warranty period. Chances are you will loose money on the warranty. I have asked people to do this before, and they almost always loose against the king LS. Now if you had a BMW 745, then chances are you would win.
Old 11-07-10, 10:10 AM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miniz
There is a lot of tech in this car, yes, but very few items actually break. As I said, this is not a Jaguar or Land Rover. Warranty companies aren't in business because they loose money. The house always wins and in most warranty cases, they do win. That's why they post amazing profits each and every year. Statistically, the LS has been and still is the crown of the reliability stats. Nobody said you must use a dealer to repair failure, either. Indy shops can repair your car for half the price of the dealer, should, in the rare case something fails. Keep track of what your repairs total in the warranty period. Chances are you will loose money on the warranty. I have asked people to do this before, and they almost always loose against the king LS. Now if you had a BMW 745, then chances are you would win.
I am right there with you, I think extended warranties are always a scam. And at the list price, I wouldn't have got the extended warranty, but with the big discount, and given it is factory backed, I didn't hesitate. My car has the air suspension, radar cruise control, power rear seats and side sun shades, etc... Just seems like something in that group in has to get messed up at some point. Plus they make this engine so that you can't even touch it. When you combine that with the $500 I will get back from Lexus for the VSR (assuming I do it, I'm not 100% committed yet), that makes a 4 year factory warranty only $1265, a steal)
Old 11-07-10, 09:19 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

I had the VSR done already. So far so good. Did not get the recall letter yet though.

Originally Posted by JSTALEX
Has your car had the VSR done yet? If not, you could be entitled to a FREER extended warranty from Lexus! (Power Train only, not Bumper to Bumper!)

Not 100%, but I don't see why you wouldn't be if you haven't had the Recall Corrected yet!
Old 11-10-10, 05:34 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Correct me if I am wrong but I asked Lexus about the extended warranty. Lexus told me that the extended warranty STARTS in the year the car was made. Lexus said if I buy a 4 yr. extended warranty for my 2007 today it will only last until 2011.(One more year) Lexus recommended to by at least the 6 year or 7 year. So it will cover really 2-3 years on your car. Sounds stupid to me but Lexus said you loose the first 3 years (2007) if you purchased the warranty today. So don't be fooled by a 4 year warranty. Sounds like it covers only one more year for $1765. Lexus said something like since the warranty was first offered at the time of purchase that is how they figure the years coverage.

jarm
Old 11-10-10, 09:12 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarm
Correct me if I am wrong but I asked Lexus about the extended warranty. Lexus told me that the extended warranty STARTS in the year the car was made. Lexus said if I buy a 4 yr. extended warranty for my 2007 today it will only last until 2011.(One more year) Lexus recommended to by at least the 6 year or 7 year. So it will cover really 2-3 years on your car. Sounds stupid to me but Lexus said you loose the first 3 years (2007) if you purchased the warranty today. So don't be fooled by a 4 year warranty. Sounds like it covers only one more year for $1765. Lexus said something like since the warranty was first offered at the time of purchase that is how they figure the years coverage.

jarm

Believe if you re-look at dormie's original post he bought an 8 year 75,000 mile warranty for the $1765. Minus the original factory 4 year warranty period would give him the additional 4 years of warranty coverage he is touting.

You are correct in that the extended warranty is somewhat misleading in that the extended warranty period does include the original 48 month factory warranty period and mileage from day one of purchase.
Old 11-10-10, 09:17 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm

jarm
I recently bought a 2008 LS400 CPO. All CPO automatically come with 3 yrs/100k warranty, I purchased an extra 3 yrs. It is from the date I bought the car. The mileage is total mileage on the car, but the duration of the warranty is from when I bought the car. So I am covered for 6 years from when I bought the car, or 100k total miles.
Old 11-10-10, 09:49 AM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexasTex
Believe if you re-look at dormie's original post he bought an 8 year 75,000 mile warranty for the $1765. Minus the original factory 4 year warranty period would give him the additional 4 years of warranty coverage he is touting.

You are correct in that the extended warranty is somewhat misleading in that the extended warranty period does include the original 48 month factory warranty period and mileage from day one of purchase.
Yup. I got the 8 year, and the car in service date was 12/22/2006, so I have another 4 years and a month of warranty coverage for the $1765, as well as another 50.5k miles of coverage because the car only has 24.5k right now, so effectively another 4 yr 50k warranty. And of course with the VSR done, it is only $1265, as I will for sure spend that at the dealer one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty recommendations