LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 12:22 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the vendor said: " Xentec "digital" slim ballasts, are all DC analog ballasts that's why the lights weren't lighting up to full brightness.You need a 35w AC digital ballasts "
Are the 35w AC digital ballasts the proper ones for an '07?

Last edited by LS2k; 11-24-13 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 11:53 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

I got this 35w AC digital ballasts

HID Xenon Conversion Kit 9006 6000K

and this is what it looks like when i tested it

When compared to the OEM bulb, it doesn't seems the HID is significantly brighter

Actually, i can't see an improvement over the previous zentex kit, what am i missing?

Did i get the wrong kit? Is this one defective or is this the type of brigthness to be expected from hid?

Last edited by LS2k; 11-30-13 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 10:24 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow, interesting. My HID fogs actually put more light on the ground than my headlights it seems
Old 12-02-13, 09:10 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Found a new vendor that has slim Analog ballast not full size metal but anyway he wrote: "I do not recommend the DC kits, simply because I know they have short life spans. All of the LS460's we've done locally, we used the 35w AC digital ballasts, without a problem." Now their AC digital kit is $50 +shipping so does it mean it's better quality and more likely to work?

So far i've tried 35w DC (zentex) and AC (Autovision) digtal ballasts but in vain (both look under-powered as seen from the pics) and despite the info above, i'm still not sure what do i need to make this works? Is that $50+ kit the right option?

Note: On the bright side, with all the practice i got, it now takes me 1 minute to reach the fog light from the driver side :-)
Old 01-01-14, 09:24 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Ended up getting a promax 9006 5000K kit with slim ballasts and everything is working as expected.
Old 01-03-14, 03:08 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
Ended up getting a promax 9006 5000K kit with slim ballasts and everything is working as expected.
Good deal....I hope you like the new found light
Old 01-05-14, 12:21 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Between the HID and the LEDs, i'm very pleased with the results. Thank you very much for all your help!
Originally Posted by CJITTY
Good deal....I hope you like the new found light
Old 01-06-14, 04:18 AM
MazzyMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

Just checking but would there be any issues installing 4300K HIDs for the fog lights?

My heaights have gone bonkers on me. The flicker together, sometimes come on sometimes can't even turn on. Be it on the ON or AUTO.

Btw the flickering is both together and not one or the other. Now it seems to not be able to come on.

I did post in another thread asking abouty headlight issues.

Just wanted to know if the HID fog lights were any cause.
Old 05-21-14, 05:38 PM
kimseongja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be installing a Maxlux 35Wt. 4300K. 9006 AC Ballast kit for my fogs to match my 4300k. headlight.
Currently, my HID bulb keeps going out and I would have to turn off and on- hoping the headlight stays on. it's '07 model. So, it's a first bulb replacement. Going with a OEM 4300k. Changed my mind against installing a Philips Ultinon 6000k bulb made for Japan and Euro. ( LEt me know if anyone wants to buy my Philips Ultinon bulbs). I just replaced a 6000k to 5000k on my '05 Prius. I'm getting much better lumens as well as more whiter light vs. blueish light. Also, if you live in a area with roads paved with asphalt vs. concrete, I would recommend lower 4300K. oem color. You get better lumens, better reflectivity. more light on the pavement with out the black absorbing the light. For concrete pavement, like here in Los Angeles, 5000-6000k will be fine.

As for the your headlight problem Mazzy, does it only happen when the HID fogs are on? If not, it may be the bulb. Which is a good thing vs. the more costly ballast. My Prius did the same. First the left light started to flicker. Then few days later, the right side. Then together. I tried the high beam ( Bi-Xenon) and that made it worse. The color was little dimmer on one. and few days ago before the new bulb replacement, the right one just died. With the bulb change, it is back to normal. Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by kimseongja; 05-21-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 05:13 AM
choNy
Driver School Candidate

anyone have any experience with Innovited HID Kits through Amazon? Thinking about going with them for my fogs with 4300k being the color. And on the listing, it says 9006(HB4), I'm assuming that'll fit still? And has anybody went with a 55w ballast instead of the 35w?
Old 12-30-14, 06:00 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had xenon depot. KB store. Volt kit 4300 on my gs 430 for 3 years. Never a problem.
I plan on using the same kit on Ls in the future .
Old 01-05-15, 12:45 PM
kimseongja
Driver School Candidate

Default Maxlux AC HID ballast going strong

Update on the Maxlux 35Wt. Fog light conversion:

It has been about 6 months now since the fog light conversion. No problem so far. Working very good.
It was a easy installation. take out the front wheels, access the fog housing through the front wheel liner. The headlight bulbs were changed at the same time. The ballasts were installed in front of the wheel, inside the liner. I'm in Los Angeles having little issue with rain intrusion. I may want to reconsider this location you are in a rainy part of the country. Or take additional precaution for waterproofing the ballast and the wire connection without compromising the cooling/heat build up.

4300K matches the OEM Philips 4300K headlight. The warm up time is little slower than the headlight. The HID fogs are putting out more than double the light intensity than the stock halogen. Also, due to the fogs being a reflector housing vs. projector headlight, it does spread more light. However, the '07 LS460 fogs do have a cut off to side sides as well as do a good job of spreading the light down to the pavement. It fills in the area behind the headlight beam. Overall, I would say the increased intensity is brighter but not blinding to the cars in the front due to fogs putting the light to the immediate pavement.

Next time, I would consider 5000K for whiter output. Many automakers are installing whiter 5000K as a OEM option. So, even with 4300K, it can look somewhat typical and yellowish on today's road.
I have 5000K in my Prius and it's perfect medium. 6000K compromised light on the pavement.

Maxlux is a AC ballast. Made in Korea not China. I'm not saying Chinese made goods are bad. They are hit or miss depending on the product.

The Maxlux conversion kit is available direct, AMAZON and on Ebay.
Old 01-05-15, 12:49 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to remove the front wheels.

Just turn the wheel all the way and you can get access.
Old 02-16-15, 03:23 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I follow CJITTY's DIY writeup (Thanks for that CJitty) and he makes it look easy and I probably won't have a problem once I get access into the fogs.

My problem is how in the heck do I get the slotted, plastic screws out of the liners?

I know how to get the actual metal screws out, but the plastic, slotted ones just want to spin and not come out like a screw should. Please tell me what I'm missing.

I did Google it and found one post on here, but it doesn't really explain it that well. I just thought that one of you might give me some advice on how to do it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-15, 03:36 PM
duckblue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FreddyG
My problem is how in the heck do I get the slotted, plastic screws out of the liners?

I know how to get the actual metal screws out, but the plastic, slotted ones just want to spin and not come out like a screw should. Please tell me what I'm missing.
I know this is quite a long time ago, but give the plastic slotted screw a quarter turn so that the slot is vertical to ground rather than horizontal and then it should pull straight out.

Quick Reply: HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460