LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Installing Akebono ACT pads - fronts

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 10:14 AM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing Akebono ACT pads - fronts

Hi all,

I did my front breaks (pads+rotors) 5k miles back with OEM parts. Have this constant squeal from the front left corner I think is pad related. Have now got the Akebono pads from Rockauto and would have few questions I did not find answers with searching the forum.

1. The Akenbonos seem to come with one anti-squeal shim already attached to each pad. Should I use the no. 2 shim from the original pads also or just go with the Akebono as is ?
2. To which surfaces have people added break lube between the pads and the shim ? I think Lexus advises only to lube the surface between the pad and the first shim.
3. Have you used the break lube that comes with the akebonos or something else ?

Might seem a bit too specific but I wanted to get it right the first time with the Akebonos since had the struggle with the OEM pads and shims.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-17, 12:57 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

I thought that the general consensus now is that Centric Premium rotors and Centric Premium Posi-Quiet pads provide the best results. I would use the newer shims as long as they fit for better elastic support to the pads. From my readings and YouTube videos, both shims are lubed. For brake lube, I would use any anti-heat synthetic lube, although I prefer Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant.
Old 11-19-17, 02:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I just did my front and rear akebonos, and did not get a squeal

I did not use the old shim, as the new pads came with it, I did make sure to use the grease they supplied before installing the pads

I would take them out, and recheck everything, and re apply more of the grease
Old 11-20-17, 08:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You should apply grease to any contact points between pads, shims and calipers. I apply a small amount to the caliper piston where it contacts the back of the shim/pad. You also need to grease the caliper pins before you insert them into the caliper.
Old 11-20-17, 10:05 AM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the input.

Any opinion about the shims ? Should I just go with the single ones that came with the pads or add the outer OEM on top ?
I was thinking of trying with the single ones and then if any squeal occurs adding the outer one.
Old 10-21-22, 01:39 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
I thought that the general consensus now is that Centric Premium rotors and Centric Premium Posi-Quiet pads provide the best results. I would use the newer shims as long as they fit for better elastic support to the pads. From my readings and YouTube videos, both shims are lubed. For brake lube, I would use any anti-heat synthetic lube, although I prefer Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant.
Not to necro-bump, but since this still comes up in search results, it's fair game.

Here's the TDS for 24125
Here's the TDS for 80653

The latter is silicone-based, and per the TDS, "It is compatible with internal and external brake rubber and plastic hardware, including ethylene-propylene rubber."

The former is synthetic, and the TDS makes no mention of compatibility.

What I typically do is, apply Toyota (red) Rubber Grease to where the rubber piston boots contact the back of the brake pad, then fill in the rest with the (silicone-based) 80653.

50k miles so far since I first swapped out the factory pads and no piston boot swelling that I can see.

I just installed Akebonos, and before that I had EBC Yellowstuff. I left the OEM shim kit off the Akebonos, but I did include it with the EBC's.
Old 10-04-23, 06:19 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Not to necro-bump, but since this still comes up in search results, it's fair game.

Here's the TDS for 24125
Here's the TDS for 80653

The latter is silicone-based, and per the TDS, "It is compatible with internal and external brake rubber and plastic hardware, including ethylene-propylene rubber."

The former is synthetic, and the TDS makes no mention of compatibility.

What I typically do is, apply Toyota (red) Rubber Grease to where the rubber piston boots contact the back of the brake pad, then fill in the rest with the (silicone-based) 80653.

50k miles so far since I first swapped out the factory pads and no piston boot swelling that I can see.

I just installed Akebonos, and before that I had EBC Yellowstuff. I left the OEM shim kit off the Akebonos, but I did include it with the EBC's.
I ended up with some swelling of my piston boots using 80653, even though my research told me this shouldn't happen. Sticking with red rubber grease only, going forward.
Old 10-04-23, 07:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,698 Likes on 2,284 Posts

Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant is fortified with
a high concentration of a unique, high temperature ceramic
boundary lubricant that stay in place and protect at extreme
temperatures from -50F to +3000F
Aluminum has a melting point of 1,218 °F cast iron 2,200°F. So your caliper will turn liquid but the grease will be just fine. Total nonsense Permatex.