LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 10:26 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarls460
I just wanted to let eveyone one that has had Mark Levinson AMP issues that there is help out there. I sent my AMP to

United Radio
5705 Enterprise Pkwy
East Syracuse NY 13507
315-446-5570

They repaired it for 325.00 dollars and shipped it back with in a day of receiving it.

plugged it back in and back in business.

Oscar
My ML amp on my 2004 LS430 died today. Called them and it's $450 to repair. Local dealer said $685, so it's still worth it.
Shawn
Old 07-07-12, 05:50 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Sharp led tv died and I googled the problem and it's a dead diode. Bought the diode for $5 and soldered it in as a replacement. Prob solved. I bet this amp issue is something stupid like that. Just need some electronic guru to figure out which diode/resistor blows and replace those....$250 repair bill is just plain rediculous.
Old 12-21-12, 09:38 AM
svtservice
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Hi
We repair all types of Levinson Amps .... I can tell you that the $250 + price-tag is well worth it.
I can also tell you that there is no $5 component that needs changed either - or not normally.
The complete circuit board is covered in an epoxy resin glue which makes working on them very difficult - this has to be removed first ...... If the DSP processor (more often than not) has to be replaced , it's a very lengthy and tricky job ..the whole area is covered in glue - the processor IC has 208 legs each the width of a hair - to do this manually by hand is pretty much an art.
The Flash ROM may also need reprogrammed after repair - make sure you have the correct one ! - could be one of many.
Also - most of the general components are that small ( 1mm pitch ) that there are no markings on them ..... so unless you know what your looking at you've no chance of checking/replacing.

Why is there so few people repairing ALL faults on them ?? most companies would give up 5 minutes after opening the box !
The following 3 users liked this post by svtservice:
Kuja (04-19-20), matttrue (05-03-19), oldkystude (09-07-19)
Old 12-23-12, 06:59 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarls460
I just wanted to let eveyone one that has had Mark Levinson AMP issues that there is help out there. I sent my AMP to

United Radio
5705 Enterprise Pkwy
East Syracuse NY 13507
315-446-5570

They repaired it for 325.00 dollars and shipped it back with in a day of receiving it.

plugged it back in and back in business.

Oscar
wow thanks for sharing
Old 01-16-13, 06:19 PM
lsrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, oscarls460, for the information about United Radio! The ML amp in my RX400h has had no sound for some time. So I should send it to them for repair. But first let me find it in the vehicle. Still searching for information as I'm a new member to the forum.
Old 05-17-13, 08:10 AM
rpe94
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I have to remove the spare tire or any covering to access the amp? I have a 2007 LS460.

Originally Posted by dan15470
Just replaced my ML Amp as discussed in this thread. Amp is located on trunk floor to the right of spare tire. Once removed; chirping stops. VERY easy to remove and replace. United Radio is currently charging $400 to repair; but still beats dealer estimate of over $1200. United Radio turn-around same day - outstanding service!
Old 05-17-13, 08:12 AM
rpe94
Driver School Candidate

Plese share the Lexus Customer Service/Complaints number so we can all call. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Originally Posted by richardbw
I have a 2007 LS 460L and the Mark Levinson amp just failed, so the radio, hd player and bluetooth don't work. I've stopped the very annoying clicking sound that is diagnostic of the amp failure by removing the 30 amp fuse under the passenger side dashboard. I've had a lot of cars, of all price ranges, and this is the first time an amp has failed. Based on the numerous posts I've seen here and other sites, and my personal experience, I believe this is a design or manufacturing defect, as an amp shouldn't fail like this, particularly one that we've paid thousands of dollars for on a premium sound system. I'm talking to Lexus Customer Service and hope that they will recognize this as a design or manufacturing defect and replace the part.
Old 05-17-13, 10:18 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

This is clearly one of the top 5 most useful threads on our LS forum..hands down. The amp seems plenty easy to get too..just a matter of taking it out, mailing it, putting it back in...good for another few years or more hopefully..good stuff
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (03-26-20)
Old 05-17-13, 07:53 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpe94
Do I have to remove the spare tire or any covering to access the amp? I have a 2007 LS460.
there's a panel on the right side (passenger side) of the trunk. that's it
Old 05-24-13, 08:01 AM
rpe94
Driver School Candidate

Default AMP replaced for free - out of warranty

I told the dealership where I purchased my 2007 LS460 (which now has 45K mileage on it), that they needed to escalate the issue, which they did.

Division Manager provided a good will replacement of the amp for me - no charge. This is what I call excellent customer service (although I shouldn't have had to tell them to do it - they should have just been proactive and made the calls themselves without being requested to do so).
Old 06-27-13, 04:55 AM
hhink
Driver School Candidate

Yes, from what I'm finding here, I believe there IS a widespread problem with this amp. I bought my 2006 Lexus IS250 brand new with the upgraded, Mark Levinson "premium" audio system with navigation, which has the higher powered 300W ML amp. My amp has now gone out due to overheating from the diagnosis I had done. Since my car is now outside of warranty, I initially took it to a local radio shop, who won't touch it because they state Lexus makes all their components proprietary, so that nothing else will work with the system except another ML amp. And, as I'm sure you all know, Lexus dealers won't even 'fix' the amp, they can only replace it. My dealer wants $1300 to replace the blown amp. Are you kidding me??? I saw someone else post here about how Lexus finally agreed to replace his amp even though his vehicle was outside of warranty, so I called the company (not the dealer) to see if they would look into this problem. I explained I would not even approach them about this, since my warrantee has expired--but when I saw how many others were having the same problems, I felt they should be reviewing these claims and taking them into consideration. When I talked to Lexus, they would not even review my problem yet as I had not had the car to a dealer for a diagnosis. They would not accept the diagnosis from the local shop. So I took it to the dealer, and they said the same--it needs a new amp.

I call back to Lexus with those results, they tell me they will have a Case Manager call me back in 2 days. A week later, I call them, and they tell me somehow my case was "accidentally" closed. They said they would refer it back to a Case Manager and I'd be contacted within 2 days. I get a call a few hours later, and the girl asks why I'm calling them about this. I told her my file should be clearly documented already, but I went over the whole story again--how I ordered this car brand new in 06, and paid over $2000 additional to have this "premium" sound system, and with the quality Lexus attests to have, I assumed certainly that my radio would not fail after 80,000 miles. She tells me they don't have to do anything as my car is outside of warranty. I explain to her how it looks for me to be driving a luxury Lexus, which is in excellent condition, yet having to have my iPhone in my lap while I drive listening to Pandora through the little speakers. I explained I am not only embarassed, but both Lexus and Mark Levinson should be, and I feel since this is not what you would consider a normal 'wear and tear" or "maintenance" item, that the company should be looking into whatever design defect is causing these issues and out of good customer service and in interest of protecting their image, they should be taking care of this problem for us. She finally offered to give me $200 credit at my dealership to have them replace the amp, which is still going to be $1000 out of my pocket. I asked if I could get the $200 towards having the amp fixed, if I was able to find someone (like United Radio out of New York) that would repair mine. She said no. I could only have the $200 credit at a dealership. She kept telling me I would have to take it there to have it repaired. I told her she obviously is not educated on what their dealerships will and won't do, as I told her over and over the dealerships won't even repair them, they will only replace them. So, I tell her I would like to speak to her supervisor as I am not satisfied with her assessment. She tells me she is over the entire region where my dealer is, and she has final say. She would not let me talk to her boss.

I called back the next day, and asked to speak to this Case Manager's boss. Again, they tried to dissuade me from being able to get through to this person. I told this person I am quite sure the "Kelly" I talked to was not the CEO of Lexus Corp., therefore I'd like to speak to whomever "Kelly" reports to. She finally told me she would have Kelly's boss call me. 2 days later, I get a call from "Kelly" again, asking me why I want to talk to her boss, telling me her boss is already aware of my issues and agrees with her decision. I told her I do not want to speak to her again, I was told her boss would call, and her boss is who I would like to speak with. This was 2 days ago and I am still awaiting a call from her boss.

This treatment, from Lexus who is supposedly a superior auto company, with purported top-notch customer service and quality, is not impressing me. In addition to the multiple times I have had to take my IS250 back in for recalls--this reaction from them is not inspiring confidence in this manufacturer. Also, I have called United Radio, and they tell me the upgraded 300W amp will likely cost me over $500 for them to repair.
Old 06-27-13, 05:01 AM
hhink
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson 300W amp failure

Yes, from what I'm finding here, I believe there IS a widespread problem with this amp. I bought my 2006 Lexus IS250 brand new with the upgraded, Mark Levinson "premium" audio system with navigation, which has the higher powered 300W ML amp. My amp has now gone out due to overheating from the diagnosis I had done. Since my car is now outside of warranty, I initially took it to a local radio shop, who won't touch it because they state Lexus makes all their components proprietary, so that nothing else will work with the system except another ML amp. And, as I'm sure you all know, Lexus dealers won't even 'fix' the amp, they can only replace it. My dealer wants $1300 to replace the blown amp. Are you kidding me??? I saw someone else post here about how Lexus finally agreed to replace his amp even though his vehicle was outside of warranty, so I called the company (not the dealer) to see if they would look into this problem. I explained I would not even approach them about this, since my warrantee has expired--but when I saw how many others were having the same problems, I felt they should be reviewing these claims and taking them into consideration. When I talked to Lexus, they would not even review my problem yet as I had not had the car to a dealer for a diagnosis. They would not accept the diagnosis from the local shop. So I took it to the dealer, and they said the same--it needs a new amp.

I call back to Lexus with those results, they tell me they will have a Case Manager call me back in 2 days. A week later, I call them, and they tell me somehow my case was "accidentally" closed. They said they would refer it back to a Case Manager and I'd be contacted within 2 days. I get a call a few hours later, and the girl asks why I'm calling them about this. I told her my file should be clearly documented already, but I went over the whole story again--how I ordered this car brand new in 06, and paid over $2000 additional to have this "premium" sound system, and with the quality Lexus attests to have, I assumed certainly that my radio would not fail after 80,000 miles. She tells me they don't have to do anything as my car is outside of warranty. I explain to her how it looks for me to be driving a luxury Lexus, which is in excellent condition, yet having to have my iPhone in my lap while I drive listening to Pandora through the little speakers. I explained I am not only embarassed, but both Lexus and Mark Levinson should be, and I feel since this is not what you would consider a normal 'wear and tear" or "maintenance" item, that the company should be looking into whatever design defect is causing these issues and out of good customer service and in interest of protecting their image, they should be taking care of this problem for us. She finally offered to give me $200 credit at my dealership to have them replace the amp, which is still going to be $1000 out of my pocket. I asked if I could get the $200 towards having the amp fixed, if I was able to find someone (like United Radio out of New York) that would repair mine. She said no. I could only have the $200 credit at a dealership. She kept telling me I would have to take it there to have it repaired. I told her she obviously is not educated on what their dealerships will and won't do, as I told her over and over the dealerships won't even repair them, they will only replace them. So, I tell her I would like to speak to her supervisor as I am not satisfied with her assessment. She tells me she is over the entire region where my dealer is, and she has final say. She would not let me talk to her boss.

I called back the next day, and asked to speak to this Case Manager's boss. Again, they tried to dissuade me from being able to get through to this person. I told this person I am quite sure the "Kelly" I talked to was not the CEO of Lexus Corp., therefore I'd like to speak to whomever "Kelly" reports to. She finally told me she would have Kelly's boss call me. 2 days later, I get a call from "Kelly" again, asking me why I want to talk to her boss, telling me her boss is already aware of my issues and agrees with her decision. I told her I do not want to speak to her again, I was told her boss would call, and her boss is who I would like to speak with. This was 2 days ago and I am still awaiting a call from her boss.

This treatment, from Lexus who is supposedly a superior auto company, with purported top-notch customer service and quality, is not impressing me. In addition to the multiple times I have had to take my IS250 back in for recalls--this reaction from them is not inspiring confidence in this manufacturer. Also, I have called United Radio, and they tell me the upgraded 300W amp will likely cost me over $500 for them to repair.
hatetechno (02-05-22)
Old 09-13-13, 06:16 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrbillyboy
united radio/automotive fixed it but is now a flat$450.+tax if you are a nys resident just send the amp and they will call you and tell you if they can fix it and how much.don't send it to that guy in ga.
Actually it's $700+tax. Confirmed in this thread here. I've inquired about it twice to see if I would get a different answer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8138474
Old 05-04-14, 02:02 PM
Scls460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just joined and have a problem

I have just joined as a member. I recently purchased my 2007 LS460 L and this afternoon that beeping noise started and the radio shut down. This forum was EXTREMELY helpful since I had no clue as to where to start to figure out what was happening. That being said, has anyone recently had this same problem? My car has 66,000 miles and is out of warranty. Is United Radio still the best bet as far as getting the problem fixed, aside from the dealer? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. THanks.
Old 05-04-14, 02:08 PM
rpe94
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson Amp

I had it happen a year or so, ago. I insisited that a service Vice-President get involved, and they provided me a Good Will replacement out of warrant at no charge to me.

Originally Posted by Scls460
I have just joined as a member. I recently purchased my 2007 LS460 L and this afternoon that beeping noise started and the radio shut down. This forum was EXTREMELY helpful since I had no clue as to where to start to figure out what was happening. That being said, has anyone recently had this same problem? My car has 66,000 miles and is out of warranty. Is United Radio still the best bet as far as getting the problem fixed, aside from the dealer? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. THanks.
steedls400 (03-26-20)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Repair