LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 03:52 PM
richardbw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Amp Failure

I have a 2007 LS 460L and the Mark Levinson amp just failed, so the radio, hd player and bluetooth don't work. I've stopped the very annoying clicking sound that is diagnostic of the amp failure by removing the 30 amp fuse under the passenger side dashboard. I've had a lot of cars, of all price ranges, and this is the first time an amp has failed. Based on the numerous posts I've seen here and other sites, and my personal experience, I believe this is a design or manufacturing defect, as an amp shouldn't fail like this, particularly one that we've paid thousands of dollars for on a premium sound system. I'm talking to Lexus Customer Service and hope that they will recognize this as a design or manufacturing defect and replace the part.
Old 04-22-12, 04:41 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbw
I'm talking to Lexus Customer Service and hope that they will recognize this as a design or manufacturing defect and replace the part.
Please provide us with an update after you complete your discussion with Lexus.
Old 04-22-12, 07:18 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbw
I have a 2007 LS 460L and the Mark Levinson amp just failed, so the radio, hd player and bluetooth don't work. I've stopped the very annoying clicking sound that is diagnostic of the amp failure by removing the 30 amp fuse under the passenger side dashboard. I've had a lot of cars, of all price ranges, and this is the first time an amp has failed. Based on the numerous posts I've seen here and other sites, and my personal experience, I believe this is a design or manufacturing defect, as an amp shouldn't fail like this, particularly one that we've paid thousands of dollars for on a premium sound system. I'm talking to Lexus Customer Service and hope that they will recognize this as a design or manufacturing defect and replace the part.
Great sense of humor here. Welcome to Lexus-land. Glad you joined Club Lexus.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 04-22-12, 07:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Does anyone know if the amp is covered under the extended warranty......I would assume it is
Old 04-23-12, 06:07 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Only under the Platinum Warranty this is covered - Stereo Component Amplifier.

As I mentioned a year ago in post #7, Lexus may need to warrant these for a longer period or face a possible class action suit.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 04-23-12 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (09-09-19)
Old 05-03-12, 09:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

$325? I rather buy a better aftermarket amp and get it rewired, much worth it.
Old 05-04-12, 10:38 AM
dbalch
Driver School Candidate

Default Retrofit ML / NAV amp to non NAV equipped car

I have a '07 LS460 that did not come with NAV/ML (std radio). Those units are available through auto salvage .com sites. Is it possible to drop one of those units in, and enjoy those features without a lot of special wiring etc? If so, what is the unit number specific to that year/model?
Thanks!
Old 05-04-12, 11:01 AM
09LS460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
$325? I rather buy a better aftermarket amp and get it rewired, much worth it.
I haven't physically looked at the amp, but I guarantee that you cannot just drop any single amp in and have that run your entire car's worth of speakers. Plus, you'd be spending a LOT more than $325 for multiple amps, custom installation, etc.....
Old 05-08-12, 08:21 PM
richardbw
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Does the Right Thing.....

I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction and told them of the amp failure problem, and my belief that it was an engineering design flaw based on what I had seen on the web. They were very courteous and got back to me in a few days and said they would cover parts and labor for replacing the amp, even though my 2007 LS460L was out of warranty.
Old 06-12-12, 06:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

DAMN !!!! I was driving home today and I starting noticing a little rattle/distorion from the speakers at high volume. I have a feeling my amp is about to go. I read one other post about the same kind of distortion from the speakers but I wanted to see if anyone else knows this symptom. I also noticed that when I pulled into the cooler garage area it got a little better. I am assuming the amp is overheating and about to shut down. I want to take it in before it blows totally and I have no music. This is getting a bit common now.
Old 06-13-12, 05:10 AM
vancouverl
Driver

Be carefull as ive had a amp changed only to find it was speakers that had blown .Lexus Platinum extended covers all components ,good luck !
Old 06-13-12, 10:03 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a single amp shouldn't be powering all the speakers in the ML system.

fail by design.
Old 06-13-12, 10:15 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ehaze
a single amp shouldn't be powering all the speakers in the ML system.

fail by design.
co-sign to this statement. if and when I do get around to it, i'll be replacing all my speakers with multiple amp sources.
Old 06-13-12, 10:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vancouverl
Be carefull as ive had a amp changed only to find it was speakers that had blown .Lexus Platinum extended covers all components ,good luck !
I think its the amp because its doesnt do it all of the time and it gets worse when the car is hot from sitting in the AZ heat. I even hear the buzzing noise when the volume is low
Old 06-30-12, 03:23 PM
oakpal
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Lev Nav system-sound cuts out

I have a 2004 with the ML and Nav system. The sound has started cutting out, all channels. I moved the fader control to the front speakers and the sound is fine, left and right. If I add the read speakers, the sound starts cutting out. If you turn the volume control down is works for all channels.
If the volume is turned up past 1/4, the sound cuts out. I presume this is a power amp issue but since it works on the front channels, I am not sure. The power supply for the power amp is working I guess since there is full front L/R sound. I also guess the subwoofer is driven off of the read channels. I am also getting DVD ERROR when I insert the magazine. Not sure if these are related as the system has a communication bus that talks to all of the components.

Any guesses??

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Repair