LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 Need new battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 08:42 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LS460 Need new battery

I need a new battery for my 2007 LS460. The aftermarket battery soecs call for a model 24 or model 27. I have tried these batteries at Pep Boys, Sears and Costco and they are all too tall. There is a bracket that goes over the battery and attaches to the back wall. The Bosch batteries at pep Boys are about 1/8 inch too high and the others are much too high. I was hoping to avoid going to the dealer to buy the battery. Has anybody replace a LS460 battery (any year). If so what battery did you get and did you have any problem fitting it in.
Old 09-24-10, 05:56 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I measured the OEM battery in my '07 LS460 and it is a size 34R (10.3" X 6.8" X7.9") (right hand POS terminal)
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (07-22-21)
Old 09-24-10, 07:02 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently dropped in a DuraLast Gold from AutoZone, its a perfect fit for the LS 460

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...32327_27122_0_
Old 09-24-10, 02:43 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmasten
I recently dropped in a DuraLast Gold from AutoZone, its a perfect fit for the LS 460

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...32327_27122_0_
Thanks for responding to my post.

I am struggling trying to find a replacement battery for my 2007 LS460 - I've been to Pep Boys, Costco & Sears I went to Autozone to look at the one that you mention and have a few questions.

1) It seems to me that the terminals of the battery are reversed. My OEM battery has terminal in the back (near the backwall) with the positive or the right side looking from the front. This Autozone battery has the positive on the left side. Did you turn the batter around so that the terminals were closer to the front of the car or did you get a Group 24 instead of 24F?

2) My OEM battery is clearish white and is flat on the top. It has a large bracket/clamp that fit over the top of the battery. Is this the same configuration as yours?

3) The Autozone battery (as well as most batteries) have two vent stacks that stick up about 1/2 inch above the top of the battery. This looks like it will interfere with the bracket. How did you get around this or did you get a new hold-down bracket?

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Marty
Old 09-24-10, 03:01 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melnick
Thanks for responding to my post.

I am struggling trying to find a replacement battery for my 2007 LS460 - I've been to Pep Boys, Costco & Sears I went to Autozone to look at the one that you mention and have a few questions.

1) It seems to me that the terminals of the battery are reversed. My OEM battery has terminal in the back (near the backwall) with the positive or the right side looking from the front. This Autozone battery has the positive on the left side. Did you turn the batter around so that the terminals were closer to the front of the car or did you get a Group 24 instead of 24F?
- I dont recall the group number but my + term is on the right as I look into the engine bay and the old + cable connected perfectly

2) My OEM battery is clearish white and is flat on the top. It has a large bracket/clamp that fit over the top of the battery. Is this the same configuration as yours?
- I used the same clamp, the battery sits inside of a black plastic boot to protect it from heat, but the clamp fit right between the two vent stacks the same as the OEM.

3) The Autozone battery (as well as most batteries) have two vent stacks that stick up about 1/2 inch above the top of the battery. This looks like it will interfere with the bracket. How did you get around this or did you get a new hold-down bracket?
- see 2 above. Its the same 2 vent stacks about 3/4" tall

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Marty
-the DuraLast Gold battery was exactly the same as the OEM.. it went right in with no issues. I was not aware there were two groups. I just asked for the direct replacement to the Lexus LS 460 battery and that is what they gave me.
Old 09-24-10, 03:10 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmasten
-the DuraLast Gold battery was exactly the same as the OEM.. it went right in with no issues. I was not aware there were two groups. I just asked for the direct replacement to the Lexus LS 460 battery and that is what they gave me.
Does your battery clamp-down bracket have 'feet' about 2 1/4 inches in from the front and rear edge of the battery? That's what I am concerned will cause interference.
Old 09-24-10, 06:50 PM
jc3103
Rookie

Have you tried calling Lexus? The battery should still be under the new car warranty. I have had many Lexus batteries replaced over the years. Even had Lexus on Call give me new ones if they were not 4 years old.
Old 09-24-10, 07:10 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

My car is less than4 years old but has $52K miles so I don't think it would be covered.
Old 09-24-10, 07:26 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melnick
Does your battery clamp-down bracket have 'feet' about 2 1/4 inches in from the front and rear edge of the battery? That's what I am concerned will cause interference.
yes it has the L bracket in the middle with the clamp down edges and then there are straight threaded bar to hold it against the bottom. By the way if you get a battery that does not fit, Autozone will gladly take it back and just give you the right one. Your other option is to call AAA if your a member and have them put one in to make sure its right.

Last edited by cmasten; 09-24-10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 07:26 PM
jc3103
Rookie

I'd give it a try anyway. Depends on the dealer. A good dealer would honor the warranty for 2000 miles over.
Old 09-26-10, 05:58 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Huzzah, huzzah!!! Bought the Autozone battery and it fit perfectly. It is made by Johnson Controls and has a 36/96 month warranty. One note - the battery that comes up in the Autozone search is a 24F. What you really need is a 24. The terminals are reversed on the 24F.
Old 09-29-10, 04:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

What you really need is a 24. The terminals are reversed on the 24F.

So the "F" stands for fouled up, or something like that.

Thanks for the info Mel!
Old 10-05-10, 10:43 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jc3103
Have you tried calling Lexus? The battery should still be under the new car warranty. I have had many Lexus batteries replaced over the years. Even had Lexus on Call give me new ones if they were not 4 years old.
yep.. just got my battery replaced for free!
Old 10-05-10, 11:35 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

battery under warranty..thats real cool right there. When mine goes out, I think I'll get the optima red top, been real pleased with how that battery worked on my other car
Old 10-05-10, 04:32 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
battery under warranty..thats real cool right there. When mine goes out, I think I'll get the optima red top, been real pleased with how that battery worked on my other car
Same here, I had one in my old SUV and it worked great...

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 Need new battery