LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Driver's Seat Problem LS 460 Sport 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 05:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I find the seat on my '07 to be acceptably comfortable. It is comparable to the seat on my Q45a. However, I must say the seat in my wife's Jag is superior to both.

If I found my seat as uncomfortable as you do, I'd check out the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar or whatever and get the one that has a comfortable seat. Life is too short to be miserable for hours every day in the car.
Old 10-11-10, 05:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

here's my comparison.

ls430 (not owned, but driven), awesome
sc430 (owned), awesome
gs400 (owned), great (until after 8 yr old and cushion probably compressed)
ls460l (owned), so-so, bottom feels stiffer than before
gs350 (owned), so-so, seats are pretty stiff

both my wife and i have sensitive backs (chronic problem), and both of us don't feel comfortable in long trips in the ls460l and gs350, something we didn't experience in our sc430.

and fwiw, we have no issue in our m3 seats
Old 10-12-10, 05:12 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seats in my LS Sport are nowhere near as comfortable or supportive as the ones in my 550i sport that I had before this car. Those were truly great seats. The seats in the Sport are also not as good as the ones I had in an Audi A6 that I owned. I"ve had three Lexus vehicles over the years (my current car, an LS 430 and a GS 400) and I can say that the seats in each were probably the worst feature of the cars. I almost bought a loaded Mercedes E550 (had it on order but cancelled because they renegged on the lease agreement) instead of the LS Sport and the seats in that, while not as good as the 550i, were also much better than the LS.

I don't understand how a car company that is all about comfort and quality can put such relatively inferior seats in their vehicles. They must have the technical ability to design better seats given the technology of their cars. Why don't they do it?
Old 10-22-10, 07:38 PM
aklein2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stanatl: I am going to get rid of the Sport. The seats are unbearable. I am going to take a terrible bath on that, I know, but life is too short for this. I will never buy another Lexus -- this after twenty years of owning them.
Old 10-22-10, 10:20 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aklein2
stanatl: I am going to get rid of the Sport. The seats are unbearable. I am going to take a terrible bath on that, I know, but life is too short for this. I will never buy another Lexus -- this after twenty years of owning them.
So sorry to hear that you are getting rid of the LS Sport - but perfectly understandable. You shouldn't be uncomfortable in your own car. As Nospinzone said, life is too short to be miserable in your own car. Luckily, the seat kind of works for me - it's not that supportive but it is not particularly uncomfortable.

Good luck with whatever car you decide to get. Take a look at the E550. It drove pretty well, has a lot of optional goodies and had a pretty good seat. As I said in a prior post, the seat I had in my 550i Sport was the best of any car I've owned. These cars are, however, not as roomy as the LS and will wind up costing about the same once you get finished putting options in them.
Old 10-25-10, 10:44 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aklein2
thats a big money loss when you could just take it an upholstery shop and have them experiment with the padding for much cheaper.
Old 10-26-10, 08:03 PM
cjohanne
Driver School Candidate

on my 08 ls460l i finally gave up after four visits to the dealership, replacing the padding twice and the seat twice. What i ended up doing is putting sheepskin seatcovers on it and it worked awesome. the seat is now comfortable. i shouldnt have had to do it with a $80k car, but i did and it is what it is. lots of frustration over my seat, it never got fixed, but the sheepskin worked out great.
Old 10-27-10, 10:22 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Where'd you get the sheepskin?
Old 10-27-10, 04:13 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

http://www.kingsautoupholstery.com/

located in VA, i have no idea where but your state is 1/10th the size of mine so its likely close by.

im telling you. if they can create full custom interiors, they can fix your seat by adjusting the foam or possibly even using different types of foam. this should cost WAY LESS than the hit you'd take by getting out of a brand new car.
Old 10-30-10, 04:47 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

im sure if you complain enough to Lexus corporate they would just do a buyback
Old 11-29-10, 10:44 AM
Mullery
Driver School Candidate

Default Driver seat problems on Lexus LS 460

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
My seat is fine. I have 6800 miles on my Sport and no issues.
You are lucky...I have been having drivers seat problems with my 2007 LS 460 for the past 3 years....an I can see that i am not alone. That seat *defintely* has problems. So uncomfortable for my lower back!!

1 more year and i hope I can afford to dump the car...never to buy a Lexus again.

BTW: Does anybody know if it is possible to get after market seats for the LS 460? Maybe I can hold on for 2 more years before dumping the car

Thanks

--Mullery
Old 11-29-10, 07:56 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

I see everyone complaining about the lower cushion being uncomfortable. And while I agree, my main complaint is the side bolsters are too narrow and basically cut into my back, creating a rather uncomfortable ride. I've been in a LOT of cars over the years, and this seat in an 86k lexus is more uncomfortable than every other car I've ever been in due to the side bolsters pinching me in. Anyone ever complained to Lexus about this aspect? It doesn't really bother me given it doesn't cause any "pain" like a lower back issue would, just annoying....
Old 11-29-10, 08:50 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dormie
I see everyone complaining about the lower cushion being uncomfortable. And while I agree, my main complaint is the side bolsters are too narrow and basically cut into my back, creating a rather uncomfortable ride. I've been in a LOT of cars over the years, and this seat in an 86k lexus is more uncomfortable than every other car I've ever been in due to the side bolsters pinching me in. Anyone ever complained to Lexus about this aspect? It doesn't really bother me given it doesn't cause any "pain" like a lower back issue would, just annoying....
Agreed. After getting in the car, I frequently have to adjust the bod back to the left on the seat because the right side bolster is hitting my back.
Old 11-29-10, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

After owning a GS350 for 3 years and then stepping into the LS460 I found the seats to be intially uncomfortable. When I first got the car I felt like I could not find a comfortable position. This issue has gotten better after 3 weeks of driving it , but I have an issue with the rear central part of the base of the seat feels harder than the rest of the seat. My brother drove my car over the last weekend and noticed it as soon as he got in the car. The problem is more apparent when the base of the seat is extended to the max. I would shorten the base but at 6'5" Its just nice to have a seat that supports more of my legs to bad its at the cost of comfort. I know there is a TSIB on the seat cushion. I mentioned it to my service rep and he said he has never heard of it. I gave him the number and he looked it up.

seat cushion TSIB: L-SB-0071-09. I hope this helps
Old 11-29-10, 11:02 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't get guys suffering for 3(!) years with uncomfortable seats. It seems to me that a $500(quote i got 3years ago to re-do my gs300 driver seat with 'tempurpedic' memory foam+new leather) solution is cheaper that taking a bath on the sale.

I test drove 08gs460 and 07ls460 last week. LS seat felt weird at first but after finding a sweet spot with extended bottom piece and lumbar support height i did not want to get out. Drove the LS for about 30mins so i know its not long enough to feel the real difference but i felt much more comfortable in LS than in GS. I'm about 6'1" and 190, skinny frame.
So the guys who are unbearably uncomfortable, how much do you weight/height?

Quick Reply: Driver's Seat Problem LS 460 Sport 2010