LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Emergency Trunk Opening Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 04:53 PM
danaversa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lexus 460 trunk is locked in open position??????????????
Old 01-11-15, 06:22 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I think the news for you is bad.

You could operate the manual release inside the trunk to see if that helps.

Or, you could disconnect the negative battery terminal for few minutes.

If those don't help then a new trunk latch mechanism may be necessary.
Old 06-04-16, 07:16 AM
NedTheNerd
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for this. Disconnected cable in the boot (trunk) while wiring a tow-hitch. Shut lid because the instructions were on my laptop in the boot and the car was on a public road. Boot then wouldn't open electrically ;-(
Without your help I'd be still trying to get back in - probably with a crow bar.
Barry
Old 09-22-16, 12:43 PM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, thanks for this thread and the responses so far! I have a new (to me) 2007 LS-460, purchased from a Lexus dealer 800 miles away. All was fine the first week (opened & closed the trunk daily with no issue), but the trunk will now not open. I've tried using the key, both fobs, the inside release, toggling the glovebox cancel switch. Today, I disconnected the (-) terminal on the battery for 1 minute, but still no luck.
The real issue is that I have 4 speakers in the trunk that need to go in for repair, and of course they are too big to fit through the back seat access hole. The soonest appointment from the dealer is next week.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-16, 04:38 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

At least the mechanical key should work and it's odd that it doesn't.
Old 09-27-16, 09:25 AM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

Update: Turns out it is the luggage closer assembly, part number 64650-50040.

Dealer completed the work for just under $850.
Old 09-27-16, 09:44 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDOS
Update: Turns out it is the luggage closer assembly, part number 64650-50040.

Dealer completed the work for just under $850.
Wow, that's pricey. Fixed under warranty, I hope.
Old 09-27-16, 09:59 AM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

No, unfortunately, this one was out of pocket.
Since the part alone is $400 on eBay, I feel OK. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171961463939?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITEspecially since I can get into the trunk now!
Old 09-27-16, 12:10 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDOS
No, unfortunately, this one was out of pocket.
Since the part alone is $400 on eBay, I feel OK. Fast Shipping New Lexus Trunk Latch LS460 07 12 LS600HL 08 12 64650 50040 | eBay
Especially since I can get into the trunk now!
That's too bad. Considering you only bought the car very recently (less than a month?), I would have thought you had at least a very short-term warranty. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-18, 06:10 PM
franktx1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Old school trunk opener

The original post says that you cannot open the trunk release from the hole in the back seat because the reach is 45 inches.
I am a bit of a contrarian so as I peered the opening of the back seat with a flashlight, I had a thought.
I took a push-broom handle, inserted through the opening in the seat back (behind the cup holder, armrest) until it reached the handle.
I inserted it above the emergency release handle and gave the handle a push upward from my end and it popped right open.
Easy peasy.
The following 2 users liked this post by franktx1:
dlbuckls10 (01-26-18), tomgarv (03-04-24)
Old 01-26-18, 11:54 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Added this thread to the FAQ sticky under 'Body' for future easy to find when needed.
Also add it to the RTFM thread!

Old 04-24-20, 10:09 AM
sjzack
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stuck trunk lid

Originally Posted by etbrown4
Notwithstanding all the good comments above, my solution to a jammed truck release is entirely different and worked for me. (Each situation may be a little or a lot different)

I found that with a jammed latch, caused by having too much stuff in the trunk and forcing the trunk to close under pressure, the solution in my case was electronic.

I tried the mechanical spare trunk key until my hand could not take it any more. I was able to force the key to turn clockwise and the trunk and lock would pop, rising only may be 1/16", or so little you could barely tell it.

I found that pressing the dash trunk release or the button under the trunk lid would only sound the tone and nothing else. I reasoned that the electronics might be jammed and needed to be cleared.

Removed one battery cable under the hood, waited 30 sec, reconnected the battery, pressed the deck lid button and bingo, the trunk magically opened!

$1000 cost saved, and a week 400 mi. away from home, with all luggage in the trunk saved.

Why Lexus dealer did not know this trick, who knows?
Why the solution is not in the Lexus manual, who knows?

I'd say that it's either about the money (the typical $1000 service) or ignorance, and neither is acceptable to me.

I hope this helps many others, and shame, shame, shame, on Lexus.
And while this didn't prevent me from scratching and denting the trunk lid trying to force it open before I read it, it DID work for me! Thanks for posting! You saved ME a $1K service call to Lexus, too!

Last edited by sjzack; 09-14-20 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 05:04 PM
davidcvigi
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First check for trunk not opening!

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Occasionally, but not often, we see reports of desperation trunk entries. Here is a plan that should help you if you find yourself in that dilemma.

If you are not able to open your trunk in the usual manner, by using the remote key or dash button or the button on the trunk lid, here is a way that will work, even if your trunk is jammed or the car battery is dead.

This does not depend on any of the car’s electronics. This procedure does not care if the car battery is dead or the remote-key battery is dead. It is a pure mechanical operation that uses the mechanical key and the mechanical latch that is in the trunk lid.

If you have ideas of reaching through the trunk extension door in the back seat, to the emergency release lever in the trunk, forget about that. The required reach to do that trick is 54” so just measure your arm and if it is too short (it will be), then move on to what follows.

The remote key (or electronic key) has a mechanical key stored in it.

You need to remove the mechanical key from the electronic key.

Insert the mechanical key into the slot on the trunk lid.

Operate the mechanical key and the trunk lid should pop up. To operate the key it must be turned about 35 degrees clockwise. The key may need to be operated forcefully so if you don’t have the hand strength to turn it then you will have to find someone with good hand strength to help you. A tool should not be used to turn the key as that might bend it or break it.

If you are unable to operate the key then you will need to apply some downward pressure to the trunk lid while you operate the key. The downward pressure required may be something like someone pushing down on the ridge on top of the trunk over the license plate with their full bodyweight while someone else turns the key. The downward pressure will very likely allow the key to be operated.

If the trunk doesn’t open when the key is turned then something, like a luggage strap, has probably been forced into the latch mechanism. The way to overcome this is to hold the key fully operated while someone lifts the trunk lid by grasping the lip over the license plate and pulling up.

I am confident that this will get you into the trunk without using a “Tire-tool Key” or making a trip to a Lexus dealership.
There is an automatic disable button in the glove compartment, on the left-hand side, that may keep the button in the car, the button on the ket and the button on the trunk lid from operating to open the trunk; before anything else, check inside the glove compartment for this button, on the left side with the glove compartment opened, to see that the trunk release button is not engaged, thus disabling any of the customary means of opening the trunk. This "magic" solution is free and solves the problem immediately!
The following users liked this post:
tomgarv (03-04-24)
Old 09-11-20, 05:31 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by davidcvigi
There is an automatic disable button in the glove compartment, on the left-hand side, that may keep the button in the car, the button on the ket and the button on the trunk lid from operating to open the trunk; before anything else, check inside the glove compartment for this button, on the left side with the glove compartment opened, to see that the trunk release button is not engaged, thus disabling any of the customary means of opening the trunk. This "magic" solution is free and solves the problem immediately!
Here is some additional information on the trunk valet parking lock feature: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-not-open.html
Old 09-14-20, 05:02 AM
sjzack
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Note that in my case, I was unable even to open the trunk even with the key. The only thing that worked for me was the battery reset. It's because the broken sensor hinge ring, prevented the release mechanism from completing its orbit and thus blocked that latch. Resetting the car battery makes that mechanism perform a full revolution, which enables the trunk to release.

Quick Reply: Emergency Trunk Opening Procedure