LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 04:21 PM
gb403
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my car this afternoon and all seems well. It runs fine, was clean and filled with gas. So as far as I am concerned they did a fine job although it took a bit longer than I anticipated 6 days inc. the weekend.
Old 10-25-10, 05:29 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gb403
Picked up my car this afternoon and all seems well. It runs fine, was clean and filled with gas. So as far as I am concerned they did a fine job although it took a bit longer than I anticipated 6 days inc. the weekend.
That was a long time, mine took two days...

Glad you're happy with it!
Old 10-25-10, 06:18 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow 6 days must have been in line with other cars in front. Guys I just got back in town this evening from Middletown DE seeing some friends over the weekend and I put over 1,400 miles on engine after the VSR work. She was flawless, matter fact even better than my last road trip this summer to Myrtle Beach! Glad I got the work done, one thing I don't have to think about whenever I see my car or in it.

Last edited by Tee; 10-25-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 08:33 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just scheduled to have the valve springs replacement done, the service advisor said it will take 5-7 days to complete. Now I'm wondering if the techs are doing these in an assembly line. The service manager had also e-mail me that they have 4 master techs doing the valve springs. He said they have done over 20 LS's already.

Do you guys think that's enough experience? Like what Nospinzone said, I'm also worry that if I wait too long the techs will become so tired of doing these that they become complacent from being too repetitive.
Old 10-25-10, 09:10 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
I just scheduled to have the valve springs replacement done, the service advisor said it will take 5-7 days to complete. Now I'm wondering if the techs are doing these in an assembly line. The service manager had also e-mail me that they have 4 master techs doing the valve springs. He said they have done over 20 LS's already.

Do you guys think that's enough experience? Like what Nospinzone said, I'm also worry that if I wait too long the techs will become so tired of doing these that they become complacent from being too repetitive.
5-7 days to complete? .. no idea where they come up with that time frame, its about 1.5 days worth of effort and 2 tops.. What dealer are you taking it to?
Old 10-26-10, 02:01 AM
raw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this forum. Especially for the photos and input from TT. Thanks to Jason for uploading the scan of the letter. It really is awesome to have a place like this to come to and discuss issues with people in the same boat!

I was wondering if anyone has a letter from corporate saying anything about the $500 credit. I was planning to get the platinum coverage for my LS600hL right before it gets to 50k miles but if there's a $500 credit out there, I might just get it now before I have the recall work done.

Also, any idea if the $1500 certificate can be used by anyone or does it have to be used by the same owner? That is, is it transferable? I was thinking about selling it on eBay or craigslist. I prefer buying used cars that were just driven off the lot since they depreciate significantly.

Last edited by raw; 10-26-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 07:20 AM
JKN2000
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I dropped off my car last weds morning 10/20 for the recall and they said as of today, 10/26 should be ready. So if I take delivery today, it will be 6 days as well for me.. Hope the outcomes are positive like noted throughout for the folks that allready had the valve springs done.
Old 10-26-10, 07:22 AM
Patric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raw
Also, any idea if the $1500 certificate can be used by anyone or does it have to be used by the same owner? That is, is it transferable? I was thinking about selling it on eBay or craigslist.
The verbage on my certificate states;

This certificate is transferable within a customer's immediate family (spouse or children) residing at the same address. Limit one certificate per new Lexus. Certificate may not be duplicated and used on multiple transactions.
Old 10-26-10, 07:55 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

lots of "experience" isnt really necessary, valvesprings are a pretty mild job.
Old 10-26-10, 08:54 AM
slam_w2k
Driver School Candidate

I got my car back after 5 days over the weekend. I think the idle RPM is higher and is noisier, but on the highway the car seems to be quieter. It may have to do with resetting the ECU. I didn't buy a extended warranty yet as the car is still under the new car 4 years. I plan to buy the Platinum plan once my standard warranty is up. I wonder they will lower the cost of the "Platinum Plan" since they are giving me the extended "Powertrain Plan"?
Old 10-26-10, 02:05 PM
JKN2000
Driver

Just got the car back.. It does seem smoother and quicker on freeway driving. However, does seem a bit jerky when u step on the accelerator when at a stop... Don't know if anyone else has that?
Old 10-26-10, 03:08 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Maybe Tex can chime in, but the only thing that would affect how the car drives would possibly be an ECU reset due to unhooking the battery for safety before tearing into the motor. Valvesprings arent going to cause the car to drive differently.
Old 10-26-10, 05:19 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by trickledwn
Got my letter today. It's for my wife's 2008 LS460. Only 22,000 on the clock. We're both very **** about this car and are somewhat concerned about taking it into our dealer (Lexus of Orlando). Would like to know how gb403 and nsaldanh make out with their experience.
hey trickledwn - Lexus of Orlando called back yesterday. Apparently they have a tech who comes in and he only works on the LS 460s Monday through Wednesday. I have an appointment for November 15. They had a slot open next week - but I could not take it in next week.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tx
Old 10-26-10, 06:15 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by cmasten:
5-7 days to complete? .. no idea where they come up with that time frame, its about 1.5 days worth of effort and 2 tops.. What dealer are you taking it to?
It's Lexus of Westminster, CA
Old 10-26-10, 08:31 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's Lexus of Westminster, CA
Ok thanks I take mine to Crown and they tell me its 2 days max and their average, but they also have 4 master mechanics that can work on them. I know they are busy, because they sell a lot of LS, I have to wait 6 weeks to get in.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement