LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 08:26 AM
jc3103
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I haven't received a letter yet either, but when I took my LS460 to the dealer yesterday, the tech tried to get me to do the fix. I told them that I wanted to wait until they had some practice. Seems like they have teams that practiced on the LS's that they had in stock. Let's wait a few weeks and see if anyone has a problem.
Old 10-13-10, 08:47 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an appt. this Monday the 18th. They said it takes two days and have their top techs working on it.

So far, the feedback looks good
Old 10-13-10, 11:29 AM
slam_w2k
Driver School Candidate

No letter, but I am having it done next Thursday.
Old 10-13-10, 02:29 PM
gb403
Rookie

appt. set for next tues. the 19th, I'm not really worried as I had a valve spring break in my Ford pickup and it was replaced under warranty and had no further problems with it. I would think that Lexus didn't want to hear that after the replacement on their flagship auto they were incapable of doing it correctly. Oh and they will give me a free tank of gas. Seems they should be doing an oil change after opening any part of the engine.
Old 10-13-10, 08:03 PM
frunty
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the LS back after two weeks at the dealer, it would have been done sooner but apparently they broke part of the radiator somewhere in the process and replacements were on backorder. Not that the LS was ever lacking for power, but it seems to rev quicker and be a little punchier since the service was performed. No other perks aside from the full tank of gas and a car wash, but all in all things were handled well.
Old 10-13-10, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for those who commented that the car feels more responsive and faster after the recall, it's due to the fact that battery was likely disconnected and thus the ecu fully reset. it has absolutely nothing to do with the recall on the valve springs, changing them in this case doesn't make the car more powerful

the ecu on ls460 (and all lexus for that matter) is adaptive to the owners' driving habits. it will adjust a lot of throttle response timing and such. resetting the ecu will put everything back to factory spec, which is on the aggressive / more responsive side.

this is pretty commonly known to a lot of lexus owners, they disconnect batteries before going to the track or so to reset the ecu. and the adaptive nature of the ecu is pretty obvious. i drive client vehicles (a lot of ls460) for test drive all the time. sometimes their cars feel "slow", i have to step on it harder. sometimes the car is so responsive i drive like a mad man. it's all because of drivers' habit
Old 10-14-10, 05:52 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LS600hL is going in next week.

I wonder if the valve springs are different, considering that the engine size is different........

HBH
Old 10-14-10, 10:04 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All,

I just had the work done on both my 2007 vehicles, GS350 last Thursday and LS460 Tuesday.

I am providing some of the details on the LS460, I even took some pictures if you guys want to see (and I can figure out how to post them). I could write a book but will limit comments. If you want more let me know.

I worked on cars and rebuilt motors in my youth, I am as meticulous as they come, details matter.
Since early 1991 I have purchased 25 vehicles from the same dealer, so I managed to get good access to the process. Several months ago I got with my senior service advisor (he was a Lexus mechanic prior to this) and discussed the issue and my concerns/reservations. He took me back and introduced me to what was one of their most exprienced mechanics. We spent close to 45 minutes discussing each and every detail (at the time, they were still dropping the engine and trans to do the work). He had worked on over 30 LS460 engines for everything imaginable before this recall. They kept me informed about the new valve tools and after doing their loaner cars and in-house vehicles plus 12 others, IT WAS TIME.

I was allowed to watch the process and stayed through one bank (side) being completed all the while asking questions and took some pics.

1. While I have not seen mentioned before, the valve springs are not only a slightly heavier gauge, they are shorter in length. This requires that the hydraulic valve rocker stablilizers also be replaced as part of the recall. You also should get new valve cover gaskets.

2. The engine stays in the car, the motor mounts are lossened and the engine is "pivoted" to the opposite side of the engine compartment and slightly rotated up so the bottom row of valve cover bolts can be accessed and provide some room to work.

3. The actual work requires approx 6-7 hours of uninterupted time start to finish although it appears from the work order, Lexus allows for 13.2 hours. No way for an experienced mechanic.

4. The work was not as intrusive as I had feared, being limited to what is under the valve covers. Getting to the covers is a chore. Then the variable cam timers and mechanisims have to come off the 2 cams. Care must be taken to mark these as well as timing chain positions for reassembly. The cam caps are removed from the 2 overhead cams and the cams lifted out. Then lift off the rockers and remove the old stabilizers. Compressed air hose adapters are screwed into where the spark plugs were removed to pressurize the combustion chambers to keep the valves from falling down inside once the springs are removed. The new tools Lexus created are for removing and replacing the valve spring keepers and retainers. This is the easy part.

5. Once all 16 springs and stablizers per bank are replaced it is reassembly time. Care must be taken to line up the cam ends back into the variable cam timing mechanisims while maintaining timing chain markings. The cam shafts do not have separate bearings so there is no concern about proper clearances in the journals, they just bolt back in place with proper torque settings.

6. Valve covers receive a new gasket (it sits in a machined groove) and re-installed along with all the other items that were previously removed (ie: each bank has its own fuel pump that sits on the back half of the valve cover).
There is nothing done that could contaminate the oil or mix oil with coolant.

The process is really knowing how to take parts apart and how they go back. Other than some torque specs, pieces logically and easily go back together - there is no measuring, gauging, or leeway involved - attention to detail is the most critical thing.

What Lexus Corp is providing - Certificate for $1,500 off the purchase or lease of a new Lexus within 12 months.

If you have already purchased an extended warranty - $500 card, good for Lexus products or services.

If you have not purchased an extended warranty - an extension of the powertrain warranty from the original 72months - 70,000 miles to 72months -100,000 miles (no time extension).

Hopes this helps, post any questions (though I will be gone next week).

Last edited by TexasTex; 10-14-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 10:45 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the detailed observation TT.

I've already purchased an extended warranty, so a $500 credit would be nice.

Do you have any info from corporate on these "credits'?
Old 10-14-10, 11:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so is it confirmed that you get 1500 coupon on next lexus? is this only for ls460?
Old 10-14-10, 11:37 AM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Nice write-up -- very detailed, thanks.

I just had my 07 LS460L in for 45K service and the recall work. So far, the car seems just fine but I haven't driven it hard or much yet... will report if there are any issues.

I never got a recall letter and haven't heard a peep about an extended warranty on the drive train or the $1500 for a future Lexus purchase....is this something that has to be asked for or should it be offered freely?
Old 10-14-10, 12:44 PM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading the actual Dealer's notification, and talking with Lexus CS the $1,500 certificate, $500 card, or warranty extension does not come from the Dealer. It will be automatically handled from the Corporate level after the service is completed, the paperwork documentation is submitted to Corporate for Dealer reimbursement.
Corporate will determine what you get based on what is registered in their systems.
I did not see anything limiting this to only the LS model. Therefore any model falling under the recall will qualify after the work is performed.
The $500 card is "Lexus" money - can be used for Lexus parts, service, etc. It is not a use anywhere gift card.
Also remember, the official recall is first starting. Very few people have actually received letters yet, we are ahead of the curve (which is why I had the work done before the recall crush hits and pressure mounts).
Old 10-14-10, 12:49 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

best insight into this situation yet, Thanks TexasTex! I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable about having this done. Like surgery I would rather not.. but if you have to have it, its nice to be at peace before you go in!

Also I wonder how a vehicle that is CPO is covered? Is it considered an extended warranty? it does increase the price of the vehicle and has a cost to the dealer for the cert.

Last edited by cmasten; 10-14-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 02:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

TexasTex, please let me know when you are in the Boston area so I can have you supervise the work on my car!

Very very nice write up, and please post pics.

(Here's a guy who can dismantle and re-assemble an engine blindfolded but can't post pics on a website )
Old 10-14-10, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thank you texastex, great info and really appreciate it. 1500, that gives me a lot more incentives to get lexus next yr

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement