LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 06:07 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Team - the valve springs are above the heads. If you've ever looked at heads, on the bottom half you see the valves (some closed/some open depending upon the required action of that cylinder at that time [intake air or exhaust gases]). On the top half is the opposite side of the valves with their springs to ensure closed position in the cylinder combustion area when not depressed by the camshaft. The springs sit in slight cups to maintain their position in line with the respective valve.
Old 07-13-10, 07:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
They can get to the valve springs by removing the valve covers. The heads are mounted to the engine. If they had to remove the heads, they would have to replace the head gaskets. The valve covers are mounted to the heads. Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I tried to explain it to you.
Originally Posted by ls460love
Team - the valve springs are above the heads. If you've ever looked at heads, on the bottom half you see the valves (some closed/some open depending upon the required action of that cylinder at that time [intake air or exhaust gases]). On the top half is the opposite side of the valves with their springs to ensure closed position in the cylinder combustion area when not depressed by the camshaft. The springs sit in slight cups to maintain their position in line with the respective valve.
thanks for clarification.
Old 07-13-10, 08:44 AM
Patric
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The warranty on my 07 is set to expire in October of this year.

It will be interesting to see how this issue plays with obtaining an extended warranty from Lexus as I plan on keeping the car.
Old 07-14-10, 11:40 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Since my LS600hL is also part of this recall I wonder how much harder is will be to take apart that engine since it has all of the hybrid bits too.
Old 07-14-10, 12:59 PM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Hey all,
Here is a link to some photos of the LS460 internals for those who would like to see what is being discussed. You can click on each picture to make it larger.

The cut-a-way is looking from the back forward.

The one showing the head, valves, springs, and double overhead cams is probably most informative.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...999/photo.aspx

As you can see there are quite a few parts that must be removed to get to the valve springs. Additionally the cams have variable timing mechanisms in the front of the engine head bank.

I would like to hear from a Lexus mechanic on here (no guessing please) exactly how the engine will be lowered out of the vehicle and what specifically needs to be removed and replaced, ie:

Does the front steering linkage have to be removed?
Does the transmission stay attached to the engine?
Does the air conditioning compressor stay with the car or does it have to be purged, lines disconnected and recharged?
Does/confirm the radiator, coolant, and oil need to be drained and replaced?
Once the engine is out, pls explain what needs to be removed to get to the 32 valve springs.
Does the front cover of the engine need to be removed?
By what method will Lexus keep the valves closed while replacing the springs (dealer confirmed Lexus will not be pulling the heads )

Anything else to help understand what this procedure entails so we can be informed.
Old 07-15-10, 11:45 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

My 08 LS460 only has 8k miles, but I do notice that occasionally when I sit at a red light there seems to be a slight roughness to the idle. Is that considered a possible side effect of the spring problem?
Old 07-15-10, 12:07 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmaahs
My 08 LS460 only has 8k miles, but I do notice that occasionally when I sit at a red light there seems to be a slight roughness to the idle. Is that considered a possible side effect of the spring problem?

How would you describe the roughness? Do you feel it in the gear stick & steering wheel? Or in the entire car?

And at what rpm does your car idle?
Old 07-15-10, 04:30 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JFNash
How would you describe the roughness? Do you feel it in the gear stick & steering wheel? Or in the entire car?

LOL. You will know when the spring gets the dreaded plaque. The intensity of shaking and rattling will be such the likes you have never felt before.... it might jar loose your dental fillings. And the car will barely be able to limp to the nearest parking lot.
Old 07-16-10, 06:46 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

Originally Posted by JFNash

My car idles at about 600-650; I feel the whole front end of the car wobbling but again "very slightly." I only sense it because it just isn't the sewing machine smooth idle I always got in my 400. Also I don't seem to get it every time.
Old 07-16-10, 02:03 PM
garyr
Pole Position

I just found out today when I dropped my car off for a 30k service about the valve springs the Lexus dealer told me I would need, they were kind of scared to tell me. I will find out more info in a couple of days what the actual procedure is.

Generally speaking valve springs are a one day job and very easy to do. If they have to drop the motor like some have mentioned we are mostly all screwed.

I was a dealer trained mechanic (Ford & Nissan) 30 plus years ago.....If they remove the motor.. the car will never be the same as when built at the factory. You could be almost guaranteed a slight vibration, slight leak, an a/c that will never work like OEM. Possible cooling problems, hoses etc. let alone scratching the car and braking factory harness, rounding bolts and loosing tiny bits.

You may find the 1 out of 100 factory techs that does a perfect job like they do at the factorty..chances are not. Dealer mechanics are paid a flat rate meaning they get paid a certain time per repair, per job, per car so the incentive is to bang the cars in and out as fast as you can to make the most money. Warranty work from the dealer pays nothing so the mechanic has to make his 40 hours+ a week so they cut corners and blow stuff out, details fall by the way side. My guess is they will rotate these jobs through the shop so each tech gets one and slows him down. With a flat rate system you could physically work 40 hours but get paid for 80.

Ask your service manager if the techs are paid by the hour or are on flat rate. If your shop has a foreman, most knowledgeable but may be a butcher, they are usually on an hourly pay and it helps.

I would wait as long as possible to do this and let the shop do them for at least 6 months so they get it down and not screw up to much....My dealer seems to do nice work but no one is perfect.

I have had about 3 or 4 recalls done to date and a wind noise Lexus never fixed. Jim M solved it and I did the repair myself. It pisses me off to still see Lexus advertising "the pursuit of perfection" sorry... good car, not close to perfection or pursuing perfection.

You guys that have a leased a car, who cares what they do...if you paid cash like me and special ordered the car and plan of keeping it a while....this really sucks if they have to pull the motor. Again removing a valve cover and replacing valve springs is a nothing job....easy no problems.
Old 07-16-10, 02:49 PM
tclk
Driver School Candidate

I got a call back from Lexus corporate office today after I made an inquiry this Monday. I was told that not only is there no time limit for an owner to get this fixed but that the owner does not have to get the work done. She said further, that if the problem arises after the expiration of the factory warranty, that it will still be repaired free of charge. She said that there is a less than 1% change that it would happen.

I'll confirm this again after I get the recall notice. But this reply is exactly what I want- the option of not doing it until necessary. "why fix it when it's not broken".

This is a win/win for me and lexus as I won't put my car thru a invasion operation and they get to save money.
Old 07-16-10, 02:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tclk
She said further, that if the problem arises after the expiration of the factory warranty, that it will still be repaired free of charge. She said that there is a less than 1% change that it would happen.

I'll confirm this again after I get the recall notice. But this reply is exactly what I want- the option of not doing it until necessary. "why fix it when it's not broken".

This is a win/win for me and lexus as I won't put my car thru a invasion operation and they get to save money.
Emphasis added...I think this option will be considered by lots of owners. From the corporate side they want 100% no problems and the only way to do that is to recall all. But from the customer side, their 1 car is 100% the concern, not all the others out there. It will be a balance between "do i want to be 99.8% sure of my existing valve springs causing engine failure" (assuming accurate stats) or "100% sure on new valve springs', but having had the engine taken out and put back in? Probably lots will consider the existing springs fine, and perhaps even trade earlier than planned.

Good that they're giving customers the option. Sort of like with the pedal/override recall, which is more of a reactionary step to a possible issue, not a definite one. However here is a potential mechanical issue, and the pros/cons need to be weighed.
Old 07-16-10, 05:33 PM
g550
Driver School Candidate

Here's a twist to all you current owners..: I just purchased an 07 GS350 (LS page was more active on this recall issue!), but can't take ownership of the vehicle until the recall has been completed! It's now been over a week and still don't know when I can actually take ownership of my new ride...how frustrating is that?!!

Anyway, I was (am) hoping that the dealer will get some sort of indication of when the work will start, but as of now nothing. Perhaps corporate will allow them to release the vehicles early? Any ideas??
Old 07-16-10, 05:48 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The recall letter is going out around the middle of August. They are going to up the power train warranty to 6 years 100,000 miles. They are also working on a way of doing this work without dropping the engine. Lexus Corp. had a conference call yesterday. I also received a call from Lexus Corp. today as well. When I find out more, I will pass it on.
Old 07-16-10, 06:21 PM
g550
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Craig. Hopefully I won't have to wait until then to pick up the car.

Appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement