LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Using "EBAY" Key Fobs with the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 10:52 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Using "EBAY" Key Fobs with the LS460

If you are looking for an extra key fob for your LS you can save quite a bit of money by buying a used fob on Ebay. Keep the following points in mind:

The Fob you buy must have the same FCC ID as your existing fobs.
HYQ14AAB is the FCC ID for 07-09 LS460s, not sure about the 2010s.

Important: Some dealers will tell you that they can't program a used key to your vehicle. This is not true. It does however require a special procedure to program used keys, known as "All Keys Lost".

The "All Keys Lost" procedure first resets the engine immobilizer and then relearns the old keys and the new keys. This means you have to give your dealer ALL working keys you presently have as well as the new keys.

If they try to use the standard "Add a Key" function to add a used key it won't work.

If you want a working blade you will have to buy one, Ebay is a good source for those also, about $10 each. Your Lexus dealer, or perhaps a local locksmith, can cut the blade.
The following users liked this post:
GX4704ME (05-15-23)
Old 12-01-10, 06:19 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow..this is great info. Thanks!!!
Old 12-01-10, 07:38 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some good info to know. Why is it that we "sometimes" know more about the cars than dealerships do?lol Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-05-12, 02:23 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I think this is probably more of a limitation on how many keys the car can "learn." It's probably 2 or 3 or 4 max. The car doesn't forget keys unless it is instructed to. For instance, let's suppose that the car can only learn 3 keys and you have two key fobs and one of those billfold card types programed and you loose one. If you try to add a key then it would not be possible if the limitation is 3 keys. If the limitation were 3 and only two had been learned then the car could learn another key. A common design for dealing with the limitation is to clear the memory of all keys and start over. For those of you who don't understand, the keys are not "programmed" but instead the car "learns" the key. That means that any remote key, that is designed to work with the car, will work without modification, but only if the car allows it, through the learn process.
Old 10-05-12, 03:50 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by junkstocks
Has anyone bought a used 2008 LS460 smart key and actually had it reprogrammed using this process posted by jstjohnz? I believe his story, but i have a customer that was run ragged trying to find a locksmith that would do it for him! Even when I forwarded jstjohnz's advice to him. Any help?
Have your friend go to a Lexus dealer with all Fobs. They can clear the ECU memory using the "all keys lost" procedure and program at least 4 fobs.

My lexus dealer charged me $60 to program 4 fobs on my CT a few months ago.

Beware, not only is it important that the FCC number match your original fob but sometimes there are internal chip differences inside fobs with the same FCC number. Make sure the fob you buy came from the same Year LS.

Doing a search for fobs on the Sewel lexus site http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/2704.html it seems that 2007-2008 LS use the same fob with FCC # HYQ14AAB. There are also many other 2007-2008 Lexus models this fob works with per the sewel link.

The one for the 2009 LS has the same FCC number but the lexus part number is different so in all likelihood it won't work.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 10-05-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 03:55 PM
FLYCT

One other hint, put new batteries in your used fobs before going to your dealer to program the car to them.

A fob with a dead or vey weak battery will not be recognized and will act just like an incompatible fob.

JR
DavidinCT (03-07-21)
Old 10-05-12, 03:58 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think this is probably more of a limitation on how many keys the car can "learn." It's probably 2 or 3 or 4 max.

Right on. The dealer told me my CT has a limit of 5 fobs or snart keys.

JR
Old 10-06-12, 08:13 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my car with only one fob and. Out 2 "refurbished" ones off of eBay. Completely identical to the oem news and my dealer was able to program both of them no problem.
Old 10-07-12, 03:13 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes the ebay keys can be programmed normally, sometimes you need to reseed the smart access ecu (the lost all keys things you are talking about). and there's even a trick to doing that with ebay keys.

-the white number on the circuit board inside needs to be the same as your current key

-replace key battery on ebay key

-when the dealer reseeds the smart access ECU, they will then have to program the keys. the FIRST key to be programmed needs to be the ebay key, then the original keys afterwards. Sometimes it won't take the ebay key if you don't program it first after reseeding.

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
If you are looking for an extra key fob for your LS you can save quite a bit of money by buying a used fob on Ebay. Keep the following points in mind:

The Fob you buy must have the same FCC ID as your existing fobs.
HYQ14AAB is the FCC ID for 07-09 LS460s, not sure about the 2010s.

Important: Some dealers will tell you that they can't program a used key to your vehicle. This is not true. It does however require a special procedure to program used keys, known as "All Keys Lost".

The "All Keys Lost" procedure first resets the engine immobilizer and then relearns the old keys and the new keys. This means you have to give your dealer ALL working keys you presently have as well as the new keys.

If they try to use the standard "Add a Key" function to add a used key it won't work.

If you want a working blade you will have to buy one, Ebay is a good source for those also, about $10 each. Your Lexus dealer, or perhaps a local locksmith, can cut the blade.
Old 10-17-12, 06:48 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two 2008 LS 600 HL cars. I wanted to use the same key for either car and the dealer said it was impossible.
I have two keys with each car. Does this mean that I can use all 4 keys be programed for both cars?
That would be convenient for me.
Old 10-17-12, 07:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I have two 2008 LS 600 HL cars. I wanted to use the same key for either car and the dealer said it was impossible.
I have two keys with each car. Does this mean that I can use all 4 keys be programed for both cars?
That would be convenient for me.
It seems to me that if the key fobs share a common part # then there would be no problem doing what you want with the electronic key. However, the mechanical key that is embedded in the fob would be a problem and since that provides an important backup for getting into the car you may not want to make them common electronically.
Old 10-22-12, 07:15 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It seems to me that if the key fobs share a common part # then there would be no problem doing what you want with the electronic key. However, the mechanical key that is embedded in the fob would be a problem and since that provides an important backup for getting into the car you may not want to make them common electronically.
I have almost never used the manual key to open the car; therefore, it is not an issue. Only once did my wife leave the car running and I am not sure how, but the car got locked, when she pressed the lock on the remote (this is almost impossible to duplicate). How ever it happened, we had a running car, locked and the unlock on the key did not work. So, we had to use the manual key to open the car. Other than that one time, I never had to use the manual key to open.. and I have had LS 430 (the first keyless car - 2005? I forgot), a 2007 LS 460L and subsequently three LS 600 HLs.. That problem never happend to any of those cars..

Anyway, thanks to this forum, I now know that there is a way to program the keys.. I wish I had known sooner.. I have been debating about replacing one with a Jaguar XJ awd (jaguar is coming out with awd for the xj now).. I have not decided yet.. the 600 is an amazing car..
I saw the pictures of the 2013 LS.. I am not particularly excited about the new grille.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 10-22-12 at 07:21 AM.
tomgarv (03-08-21)
Old 10-22-12, 08:31 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I have almost never used the manual key to open the car; therefore, it is not an issue. Only once did my wife leave the car running and I am not sure how, but the car got locked, when she pressed the lock on the remote (this is almost impossible to duplicate). How ever it happened, we had a running car, locked and the unlock on the key did not work. So, we had to use the manual key to open the car. Other than that one time, I never had to use the manual key to open.. and I have had LS 430 (the first keyless car - 2005? I forgot), a 2007 LS 460L and subsequently three LS 600 HLs.. That problem never happend to any of those cars..

Anyway, thanks to this forum, I now know that there is a way to program the keys.. I wish I had known sooner.. I have been debating about replacing one with a Jaguar XJ awd (jaguar is coming out with awd for the xj now).. I have not decided yet.. the 600 is an amazing car..
I saw the pictures of the 2013 LS.. I am not particularly excited about the new grille.
I personally own a few vehicles in the Luxury category that aren't Lexus. Therefore, I am not against the idea of buying something other than a Lexus. But I do know a lot about what goes on in this industry. I am a former Jag owner (and loved them)....but I seriously advise against the new XJ. Jag has come a long way as far as finally making modern cars, but they've gone backwards on reliability and quality.

By the way, the new LS is not as imposing as it looks. I wish it was a lot more radical, but it just isn't. They also managed to make 19 inch wheels not look big. A lot inside the car is the same, with some nice updates. If you liked the old LS460, you will probably get along very well with the new one. Just go drive one. With your Lexus purchase history, I doubt they'll say no to you taking a demo for the weekend. It really is a nice car. Many Small changes really make it better than the old one. Quieter too. Just feels like more quality.
tomgarv (03-08-21)
Old 11-12-12, 04:38 PM
Rock583
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step-by-step remote transmitter post?

I saw a post on here somewhere from a Lexus tech with photos explaining step-by-step how to reprogram a smart remote. I thought I bookmarked it but cannot find again. After going to two dealers and being told used remotes cannot be reprogrammed, it would be very helpful to have the directions to inform the "experts". If anyone can find or knows where to look, it would be much appreciated. I have searched to no avail. Thank you!
Old 11-25-12, 06:02 PM
BoulderHC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Fobs can absolutely be programmed!

Used Ebay smart keys can absolutely be used. Just buy one with same FCC id.

Requires a Seed reset by dealer/shop with appropriate software or a (good) auto locksmith with similar tools.
You need the car, all existing working keys, and all keys you want to add.

The reset will erase all working keys from the cars database then each key is re-added to the car.
An extra benefit of the reset is if you bought a used car with only one fob the previous owner will no longer be able to start your car if they kept a fob and happen to stumble upon your car somewhere.

We program used fobs all the time for Lexus and Toyota's in Boulder, CO...for a lot less $$ than the dealers.
Note, we cannot cut the "side cut" mechanical keys, but we can do the electronic programming.

Some dealers tell you it cannot be done because they don't know how or they just want to charge you for their new fobs.

Here are independent shops that I know can program smartkeys, please add to this list if you know of others.

Boulder CO
http://www.boulderhybrid.com

Berkeley, CA
http://www.kensingtonservicestation.com/

Last edited by BoulderHC; 11-25-12 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Using "EBAY" Key Fobs with the LS460