LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Instructions For The "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 08:01 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socallex
I believe that your service adviser hold the keys to what gets done. My friend has an 07 who uses another service department was told they don't know what he's talking about and blew him off. I have an 08 that has had both front window seals replaced and the front windshield had deflectors added as well (under warranty). It helped considerably but I swear i have some days that are better than others. I can't tell if it is temperature related yet, but do notice cross winds. I also believe that since the cabin is so isolated from road noise it make the wind noise more noticeable. I need to seal up the triangles but haven't got around to it.

Bottom line is dont let your service advisor to dictate your solution
Can I ask what dealer did your window replacement? And what are windshield deflectors?
Old 03-27-11, 07:05 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GOOKSPEED
Are you still covered under warranty? What repairs are you getting done?
I am at 52K, but had a complaint on the books at 48K that wasn't thoroughly checked out..after doing more research onthis thread, I went back and assume I got a goodwill situation. All my TSIB wind noise repairs including new lamisafe windows were N/C $0.00
Old 03-27-11, 01:29 PM
socallex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it done at Thousand Oaks Lexus. They put black plastic pieces around the front windshield. Some folks find it unsightly but I didn't find it too bad. Wind noise or any rattles drive me crazy. I was worried about rattles after they worked on it but I figured I could bring it back if they developed. I'm fortunate because the dealership is fairly close.
As others have mentioned you need to know what to ask for and don't assume they know what to fix to apply.
Old 03-27-11, 01:57 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by socallex
I had it done at Thousand Oaks Lexus. They put black plastic pieces around the front windshield. Some folks find it unsightly but I didn't find it too bad. Wind noise or any rattles drive me crazy. I was worried about rattles after they worked on it but I figured I could bring it back if they developed. I'm fortunate because the dealership is fairly close.
As others have mentioned you need to know what to ask for and don't assume they know what to fix to apply.
Thanks. TO is a little far for me, I'm pretty much equidistant from Valencia, Keyes Van Nuys and Vista Woodland Hills. I think I will try Valencia, they seem to get universally good reviews on dealerrater and when I first got the car (not purchased there) they programmed the extra key fob and turned off the seat belt alarm for me. The SA I worked with seemed like a good guy. I have to take it in for the 30k service soon, I will ask for the Lamisafe window replacement. As others have stated, I'm just afraid they will cause more problems when they take the doors apart. But hopefully they know what they are doing.
Old 05-13-11, 07:08 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having trouble finding the exact sealant jmcraney used.

I've checked the home improvement and hardware stores around me.

I found a small tube of this stuff at Walmart tonight.

Premium Waterproof Silicone Window/Door/Attic/Basement 3 Hr. Rain Ready Sun/Freeze Proof

it's got a Stock GE No. as GE500

anybody have any reason why this wouldn't work as good as the one listed by jmcraney?

Old 05-13-11, 07:38 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I made sure I got the adhesive silicone..some silicone doesn't have adhesive properties I think. I went with the black silicone permatex or something like that from autozone.storng as hell and looks better than the clear stuff to help blend in better
Old 05-13-11, 07:52 PM
marky2mark
Driver

I used this one...I think it's the same one in JMc's instructions except they changed the packaging. It worked great....stock number is GE360

Instructions For The "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix"-imag0063.jpg
Old 05-13-11, 08:05 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I made sure I got the adhesive silicone..some silicone doesn't have adhesive properties I think. I went with the black silicone permatex or something like that from autozone.storng as hell and looks better than the clear stuff to help blend in better
thanks for the input.

yeah now that i think about it the one i got isn't really a glue, but a sealant... so it might not have much adhesive.

i think marky mark is right... they may have changed the packaging on the stuff we need. i'll see if i can find his suggestion.

thanks.
Old 05-13-11, 08:12 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Another tip...if you are clumsy like me and get some silicone on the paint...I used Goo Gone, took it right off and didn't harm the paint.
Old 05-14-11, 08:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

The manufacturer changed the packaging about 18 months ago for the sealant that I recommended. The stock number is still "GE280."

I thought interest in this would have faded away long ago but since it seems to still be active, so I have revised the picture to show the current packaging.

Lots of other products will probably work good too. I am remain confident that the GE280 is a very good solution.

The Permatex product has good characteristics too except it is much harder to get off if you have to remove the trim for some reason.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-15-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 09:25 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this something that can be repaired at a Lexus dealership yet? Or is my only option still to this day to do the repair myself?
Old 06-08-11, 11:12 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Is this something that can be repaired at a Lexus dealership yet? Or is my only option still to this day to do the repair myself?
I watch this subject in several forums and I have not seen a single report of this type of repair being done as a Lexus TSIB. I think if Lexus has a fix for this we would know about it here, in this forum. Lexus has apparently advised their dealers that they must not do this sort of repair, possibly because of the large number of Lemon Law buybacks related to the wind noise problem.

The DIY fix is not for everyone - some people don't do those sorts of thing. But you should try to get it done as the payoff relative to the cost/effort is very big. It substantially increases the pleasure of driving and ownership.
Old 06-08-11, 11:29 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

That's amazing.. So if I were to bring the car to my dealership, they'd say something like "it's a characteristic of the car" and send me on my way? Really amazing... I'm sure I can accomplish the task - I just don't like the sounds of leaving it apart for several days (or a week? I forget) to determine if I patched it up right before I put the black piece back on...
Old 06-08-11, 01:00 PM
marky2mark
Driver

I didn't leave it apart for a week....put the metal pieces on Saturday afternoon, let it sit overnight. Took it out for a drive on the freeway Sun morning to make sure it didn't sound any worse than before. Put the black trim pieces back on Sunday and let it dry overnight again.

I'm not a big DIY person and it took me maybe 30-40 minutes for each side and I was VERY meticulous to make it look perfect. You would never know by looking at it that anything was done.

A couple tips....I used Jeff's recommendation of using a sharpened paint stirrer to get the black trim pieces off. Just slide it under the trim piece and keep sliding it around loosening the glue until the thing comes off. If you try to get it off with your fingers you might break it. Although they are pretty sturdy.

ALso if you get any silicone glue on the paint, you can use Goo Gone to get it off, it will take the glue right off and not harm the paint. At least that's what I used.
Old 06-08-11, 02:12 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you. I'll definitely be doing this very soon...

Quick Reply: Instructions For The "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix"