LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 ls460 oil changes every 5k on synthetic oil???

Old 05-24-10, 02:57 PM
EL460L
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 ls460 oil changes every 5k on synthetic oil???

Can someone please tell me why you would need to change the oil every 5k miles when you are using synthetic oil? Is it because of a cheaply made oil filter or is Lexus just trying to make more money off of oil changes. BMW and Porsches use synthetic and they do not require oil changes at every 5k. My Porsche requires it every 15k miles as synthetic oils are supposed to hold up and not break down. Porsche and BMW's are racing cars so I would assume if anything they would require more frequent changes. Someone please advise if they use more expensive aftermarket oil filters and change the oil less frequently. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-10, 04:25 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

For 2010 Lexus went to oil changes every 10,000 mileswith full synthetic oil. I still plan on changing mine every 5000 miles.
Old 05-24-10, 10:17 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I change my oil every 10,000 kms, which is about 6K miles. Yes, you could run the oil out to 10K miles, however since I do my own oil & filter changes, I notice the color of the used oil is opaque. If I can't see through it when it's draining into the pan, then its time for a change. The denser the oil becomes with combustion particulates (carbon), the greater the wear on moving parts, lowering the engine's efficiency, ultimately lowering your MPG.
Old 05-25-10, 08:59 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny
If I can't see through it when it's draining into the pan, then its time for a change. The denser the oil becomes with combustion particulates (carbon), the greater the wear on moving parts, lowering the engine's efficiency, ultimately lowering your MPG.

...to a point. It also means the 'detergent' in the 'detergent oil' is doing it's job.

If you want to see clear oil when you drain start using non-detergent oil...if you can still find it.

Many moons ago there was an aftermarket Frantz oil filter. It's distribution was mostly just an early pyramid scheme. Just a stainless steel in-line cannister that held a press-fit roll of dual-ply toilet tissue...really. Their dealers almost always used non-detergent to show prospective buyers 'how clean the oil was'. Actually it worked well, theatrics aside. It was in line with the OEM filter and you could actually see metallic particulates residing on the end of the roll when removed for changing, particulates the OEM filters had passed. The TP also had the natural characteristic of absorbing water (mostly condensate) which the OEM filters wouldn't. This prevented a lot of corrosion and varnish build up, especially on short-trip vehicles.

A lot of long-haul trucking companies were using the five-stack versions.

I can remember when Mobile One synthetic first came out. The container said it was good for 25,000 miles. Unsubstantiated assertions from Detroit and oil producers brought that claim to a halt.

Whit
Old 05-25-10, 10:04 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I use synthetic and have it changed every 5K.
Old 05-25-10, 11:19 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
I use synthetic and have it changed every 5K.
OT here, but your LS is a fatastic looking car.
Old 05-25-10, 11:28 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper oil change intervals are going to be different for every driver. Factors such as stop and go driving, many short trips, driving style, etc. can make a huge difference in the performance of your oil. 5K miles may not be often enough and 10K miles may be too soon. Unless you are performing oil analysis to determine your oil change interval then following manufacturer recommendations will usually be fine. In the grand scheme of things changing your oil is extremely low cost maintenance.
Old 05-25-10, 12:27 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I can remember when Mobil One synthetic first came out. The container said it was good for 25,000 miles. Unsubstantiated assertions from Detroit and oil producers brought that claim to a halt.

Whit
Last time I checked, Mobil was an oil company.
Old 05-25-10, 04:13 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

Anyone tried Pensoil Ultra?..... I've been using that on my LS430 since its been out... I change mine every 5k as well.....
Old 05-25-10, 11:24 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Many moons ago there was an aftermarket Frantz oil filter. It's distribution was mostly just an early pyramid scheme. Just a stainless steel in-line canister that held a press-fit roll of dual-ply toilet tissue...really.

Whit
Thanks for the memories, Whit!

I remember this filter very well. Although I never used one, back in the late 70's, one of my fellow draftsman, an old timer did on a very high mileage, but pristine 60's Plymouth Valiant. The rig certainly was a fascinating one that bordered on black magic. But it certainly seemed to do the job, and was great coffee break conversation...
Old 05-27-10, 11:10 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
It is now Exxon-Mobil and they are a oil company and sell gas and oil filters too. Not sure where you were going with this D?
Old 05-28-10, 08:41 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
Excuse me all to hell, guess I should have said 'competing oil companies, not yet making synthetic oil'... better?

;->
Whit
Old 04-25-12, 08:16 AM
bkakdins
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 LS460 Oil Filter vs Oil Filter Kit

As suggested I went out to irontoad.com to buy two air filers and an oil filter. All they list is an oil filter kit that has two O rings, cartridge filter, and drain adapter. It looks like a do it yourself filter. Is there a conventional oil filter for the LS460 or is replacing the filter cartridge the only way to go?
Old 04-25-12, 09:29 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bkakdins
As suggested I went out to irontoad.com to buy two air filers and an oil filter. All they list is an oil filter kit that has two O rings, cartridge filter, and drain adapter. It looks like a do it yourself filter. Is there a conventional oil filter for the LS460 or is replacing the filter cartridge the only way to go?
It's the only way to go, they don't use a screw on filter. You can purchase oil filters at any
Toyota dealer as well. I take mine to Toyota for oil changes. The Lexus dealer is 120 miles each
direction from my home.Don't forget to change the crush washer on the drain plug each time you change your oil.
Old 04-25-12, 09:33 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with toilet paper filters is/was that they also filtered -good stuff' out of the oil. The zinc and dispersant particles that are there for a reason were too large to make it through the filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 ls460 oil changes every 5k on synthetic oil???