LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation system replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 12:52 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
The problem I have is that Lexus will charge this lady umpteen-thousand dollars for a new nav. Then they will ship her old one back to Japan, where it will be fitted with a new touch screen, probably at a cost of a few hundred dollars or less. Then that one will go on somebody else's car as part of a warranty repair.

Kind of like when they used to charge $2,000 for a new engine computer if you lost all of your keys. The old one is still perfectly good, goes back to Japan, gets re-flashed at a cost of a few dollars, then it goes on the shelf to be sold to the next guy for $2k.

Look religiously on Ebay, they do come on there from time to time. Then sell yours on Ebay; even not working it may bring a few hundred bucks from someone who has something else wrong with theirs besides the screen.

And if you do bite the bullet and buy a new one from Lexus, DO NOT let them keep the old one.
IF the screen wasn't physically damaged, then you could get an exchange unit from the dealer for less than $2000. But Lexus won't accept physically damaged units as a core. I just look briefly (don't know for sure w/o a VIN), and the new nav display's MSRP is $13,817.85. Yes, it's very expensive. But you could keep your old one. Because it's new and not an exchange unit. Lexus set's the MSRP. I'm sure your dealer could work with you on it. That doesn't include the hard drive. It's sold separately. It's not like we pay $1000 for it and turn around and sell it for $13k. If it's expensive, then we pay a lot for it too (I work for a dealer). And no we can't get the touch screen part separately. Talk to your dealer and see if they can work with you on the price some or try to find one on Ebay like some members have suggested. Good luck.
Old 08-04-10, 01:25 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by betty1510
OK people!!! This is Betty1510! Adding to the fact that I didn't know anything about touch screens is that I also didn't know how this site worked so I am now tuning in on August 4th and reading all these comments. They have given me a lot of information and a lot of laughs. I will admit, some responders need to get a better attitude!!

I am still struggling along with my damaged navigational unit, operating most controls by hand and voice. However, I am also still trying to figure out the best way to correct the problem (aside from trading it in on something other than a Lexus!!!). I have written the person in charge of Lexus USA twice and have never received a reply from him. He did refer me to my dealership and I went back there but they said they had "exhausted all of their resources and could not help me". So I wrote Mark Hamblin, VP of Lexus USA, again plus wrote J. R. Roper, owner of our local Lexus dealerships and did not receive a reply from either. My contention now is that it should fall under the warranty because there was no notice on the screen or in the manual to NOT put anything on the screen. They have that annoying warning on the screen to "agree" but didn't put one on about the screen itself.

I have also contacted a local Lexus independent repair place and they have found a rebuilt one that can replace my current one for around $5,000. However, after reading these responses, I see that I need to make sure it would work in my car. I also gather from these notes that it may be possible to just replace the touch screen and would like more information on that. I will continue to look into all of this and would appreciate any help. However, I can do without accusations on my minimal understanding of touch screens and very much appreciate those of you who came to my defense.

BTW.....70 isn't as old as you think. You'll see when you get there. We just aren't as "up" on the new things as younger people are. We do try. I have three computers,a laptop, a Nintendo, Kindle, and recently an iTouch (which I am protecting the screen very carefully)!
Your post made me smile. I am 39, my Dad is 70, and my Mom is 68. My folks are very up to date with new gadgets. Everything is Mac. They also have an Acura NSX, which is tons of fun for them.

I wish I was able to offer you advice, but my Lexus is an older one and doesn't have these tech gadgets. I was sorry to read about your situation when you first posted it and I wish you the best getting it fixed. The independent shop may be a good bet if they'll do the work and know about the complexties of these units.
Old 08-04-10, 01:39 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Dear Betty,

Sorry about your misfortune. I think some of our friends here at Club Lexus "got carried away" with their comments to you. You didn't murder anyone and you didn't even damage THEIR beloved cars. IT WAS A MISTAKE...SHYTT HAPPENS! Give the lady a break guys!

A few thoughts: First of all, you are totally correct that even for us "young folks" (I just turned 50 and no longer view 70 as "old"...although 85 is!) the GPS truly sucks in Lexus cars. Why they can't just put in a TOMTOM type thing with an easy one touch "NAVIGATE TO" button is beyond me. I wouldn't even get the factory GPS if it wasn't more or less standard eq for high end luxury cars. Even if you CAN get the car without it, resale will be impossible. Like selling a car without A/C.

Anyway, you might just wanna live with it the way it is and either take your hit at trade in time (they dealer might find a cheaper way to make it all work if they have the incentive of selling you a new car) or drive the car until it doesn't matter. I don't really have any other bright ideas but just felt that you were unfairly beaten up and wanted to shed a little different perspective on it. Some of us are VERY PASSIONATE about our cars, so I can SORTA understand why a few might have gotten carried away. Anyway, the LS is still the finest mass produced passenger car ever built. So enjoy it even with the mishap.
Old 08-04-10, 04:18 PM
betty1510
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice letter...thanks! I think that I will probably live with it. The voice commands work pretty well and the Garmin works great! I have heard from Lexus corporate today who said they would give me $500 towards a new touch screen. I told them that I had read on this site that a touch screen can't be replaced so they are now calling the dealership to see if this is true.......I might have thought they would have known that one way or the other.......

Anyway, your letter made me feel better about just living with it...and about being 70!!!
Old 08-04-10, 04:58 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Hey, it's just a car and 70 is the new 50! Be well!
Old 08-06-10, 07:17 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

there is a company in upstate new york called United Radio www.***********.com they specialize in repairing factory radio issues.. only problem would be they would need screen in hand to give u an accurate estimate.. have the screen removed..(any car stereo shop should be able to do so..) send it out, they'll give u a repair quote..if u like the price then repair it.. if not they'll ship it back an then u can explore other options
Old 08-08-10, 05:55 AM
mjw1964
Driver School Candidate

The bigger story to me here is the piece of garbage Nav system Lexus puts ina 75k car. Betty wouldn't have even considered sticking a suction cup on the screen if the system was worth a hoot.

Lexus owners should be outraged.
Old 08-08-10, 01:23 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus seems to be in bed with Denso as far as electronics are concerned. So, even though it's a POS, I'm sure it's Denso's top-of-the-line POS.
Old 05-13-14, 06:52 PM
Phargraves
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Repair

This is for Betty I found a company here in Los Angeles

Lexus Navigation CD Changer DVD Display Cluster Repair

We repair all Models of Lexus Navigation CD Changer DVD Player

If you do not see the model of your unit here please call

818-785-8085
Old 05-16-14, 12:41 AM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phargraves
This is for Betty I found a company here in Los Angeles

Lexus Navigation CD Changer DVD Display Cluster Repair

We repair all Models of Lexus Navigation CD Changer DVD Player

If you do not see the model of your unit here please call

818-785-8085
Only 4 years late...
Old 05-16-14, 04:14 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aww Betty, ur a cutiepie:-). Reading your comments put a smile on my face. I hope everything worked out for you. Call Lexus corporate multiple times. U never know, u just might catch them on a good day and get exactly what you're looking for. Be well!!
Old 12-14-15, 05:42 PM
echen
Driver School Candidate

Default Cheaper option

If any 70 year old lady has this issue and lives west of Chicago, contact me and i could see about stopping by some Saturday afternoon to replace it. I estimate a digitizer part is well below $100. I can't believe Lexus would charge $3000 to fix it. Or just get the part and find some person with hands-on electrical knowledge to replace it.

Edwin