LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series

Old 03-19-10, 01:00 PM
hotwillz33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series

Well here is the dilemma, I currently own a 745i and have gotten bit by the upgrade bug. I am wondering what the general opinion is regarding whats the better car. I do know of the wind noise issue having driven a LS. I am also a little thrown back by the lack of standard options on the Benz. So any opinions will be appreciated
Old 03-19-10, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

well, here's what i think

bmw 7 is a drivers car. more road feel, harsher ride, not as quiet as the other two, but handles much better, less roll

mb s class. a lot of presence, exterior styling is subjective, car feels "big" when you drive it, decent quietness and smoothness. interior is ok, i am not a fan of the head liner. handling is reasonable

lexus ls. quietest and smoothest of the 3 imho, i like the interior. but very little driving feel, pretty disconnected from the road. lots of body roll. good bang for the bucks

so i think it's more about what you want then to see which one is best for you. you should really drive all 3, very different cars
Old 03-19-10, 01:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

These are the same three cars I looked at when I bought my LS. The main knockout for the S550 was it cost $25,000 more at list price, and the Lexus dealer took more off list than the Mercedes dealer would. I really liked the 750i, but again it was higher priced and I was a little concerned about reliability. Of course it did handle much better than the LS, but then don't drive as aggressively as I used to.

All I can say is I have no regrets.
Old 03-19-10, 03:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LS 460 is the better deal as far as value for features, quality, etc., while the S550 is a LWB model (more directly compared to LS 460 L, which also has a standard features and amenities advantage, while styling, brand image etc. are to one's opinion). If wind noise is a concern, most of our forum indications are that an effective fix has been developed for that issue, detailed in the thread here. Also, as far as handling is concerned (although I have not experienced this particular variant myself), the LS 460 Sport is much more of a driver's car, and a worthy rival to the Germans (according to reviews); otherwise the standard LS 460 has a less sporty but more comfortable ride than certain rivals.
Old 03-20-10, 06:42 AM
cmbnova
Driver School Candidate

Default Comparisons

I have owned a couple of BMW 7 series and also a 430LS and 460...
-With current pricing, the Lexus has the advantage by far
-The BMW is a much better handling car--by far. If you like "driving", you will miss the BMW
-The BMW warranty is much superior. You will spend about $2000-3000 on the Lexus service during the period.
-I think there is actually a little more rear room in the regular LS vs regular 7 series (not stretched versions).
-Lexus dealerships are usually more customer conscious over BMW counterparts
-Personally I think that the BMW comfort seats are quite superior to the Lexus seats...BMW much more comfortable for longer trips
-The I drive on BMW is now easier so I think electronics are equal
-I personally prefer the BMW from a driving perspective--it is just a drivers car, but there is now a 20-30K price difference which gives one pause to think.
-Overall I think both are very reliable. I have never had a real maintenance issue with the Lexus models.
Old 03-20-10, 09:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cmbnova
I have owned a couple of BMW 7 series and also a 430LS and 460...
-With current pricing, the Lexus has the advantage by far
-The BMW is a much better handling car--by far. If you like "driving", you will miss the BMW
-The BMW warranty is much superior. You will spend about $2000-3000 on the Lexus service during the period.
-I think there is actually a little more rear room in the regular LS vs regular 7 series (not stretched versions).
-Lexus dealerships are usually more customer conscious over BMW counterparts
-Personally I think that the BMW comfort seats are quite superior to the Lexus seats...BMW much more comfortable for longer trips
-The I drive on BMW is now easier so I think electronics are equal
-I personally prefer the BMW from a driving perspective--it is just a drivers car, but there is now a 20-30K price difference which gives one pause to think.
-Overall I think both are very reliable. I have never had a real maintenance issue with the Lexus models.
one thing i don't completely agree is electronics, where i think lexus is still far superior and a lot more user friendly. i have tried the new idrive system a lot, it's better than the old one, but still very painful to use at best imho. on the other hand lexus is very easy to use, touch screen is just better than using a ****.

of course, we all know the lexus lock out, that's another thing to consider
Old 03-20-10, 10:57 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I have been shopping around for my next ride I have looked into all 3 of these rides and also the Audi 8! Well, for my birthday I'll be getting a new car(in August at the end of the month)I have looked into all the issues each car has. My list goes like this in terms of best to worst.

1.Lexus LS460: reason: reliability and price and bang for buck!!

2.Mercedes 550: reason; Benz is just the tops at glamour when it comes to its cars. Yes, they have some issues but, they have improveda bit and you know a Benz when you see it inside and out! Downside: Price and questionable reliabilty though its been improved!!

3.BMW 7 series: great looking car and handles like a dream. This car looks good inside and out but, has questionable problems inside and out as well and high repair cost as well as a low resale value. If based on looks and performance, get this car! If based on getting what you paid for get the Benz or Lexus instead!

That said, I looked and looked and finally saw what others here have seen. The Lexus is the WISE mans buy. It drives well and cost wise when it comes to repairs is cheaper, expensive but, cheaper than the Benz and BMW! Lexus can be had new as low as $63,000 or as high as $110,000 for the hybrid. Thats a range in price that is favorable and gives bang for your buck.

Ulitmately I say get what you want. Opinions are just that. I will get the LS 460 because I want it. I did the research and based on that the LS460 is for me. A friend of mines LOVES the Benz despite its issues. I respect his choice. WHY? Its sbout paying for and driving what makes YOU happy, not fellow members who arent chipping in. And the car we drive isnt related to wealth its related to choice. I own a car thats old but, still dont want to part with it because I love it.

I can get a new car today but, decided to make it a present for me because otherwise i'd stay in this LS430 I have now. The calming factor for me in getting another car is if like the car I own now it will be as reliable and if I do the services and take care of the LS460 i know it will.

All the best on whatever car YOU decide is best for you!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-20-10 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-20-10, 12:30 PM
Maurice
Driver

This month the Lease on my '07 - LS460 ended. After owning Lexi since 1992 including LS400, LS430 and LS460 - the LS460 left me with a bitter aftertaste due to severe wind noise, Toyota's arrogance that the wind noise is not a design issue and all in the minds of consumers, and the noticeable cost reductions from the 430 Model. Plus the fact that they lock you from using the NAV and Phone when moving.

The LS460 was very reliable nonetheless. And the Lexus service is often excellent, quick and friendly. But what used to be the best behind the car experience from dealer and manufacturer (Lexus) turned into what for me was just average.

I looked at the same cars you mention plus the Audi 8 and decided to go with the BMW 750. So far - I love it. After the LS, this is pure fun to drive. The iDrive is fine. Yes it takes a bit longer to get familiar with it, but it does tons of things and all works. NAV is good, real time NAV is at no cost (FM instead of XM). Voice recognition is better than on the LS. iPhone and iPod integration is excellent. And it does NOT LOCKS YOU when moving. I doubt I would ever get another Lexus if they do not give up on this. It includes maintenance for 4 years (I lease for 3). The dealer delivered it at my home.

I know all cars may have issues - and I will not know how I will feel about it in 3 years when this lease ends, but so far I am delighted with my choice.

I test drove all of them (including the LS 2010 - virtually identical to the '07, noise wind included). Granted - the 7 is not as quiet. But the 7 was the most fun to drive. The interior finishes are gorgeous. All are good cars, this is just my experience.
Old 03-20-10, 04:21 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I feel your point buddy. Always do whats best for you. We all dont have to buy the same cars. What makes it great is having people who have experiences with all different makes so when you need info, you have folks to ask questions to. The BMW is a fine car, very sporty and looks amazing!!!! If I need more info on the 7series, your my guy! HAHAHA! L.G.N.M
Old 03-20-10, 04:43 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I just traded my 2009 BMW X5. The resale is terrible on the BMW. My BMW was in the shop more than ten times in one year. BMW's electronics are terrible and unreliable. If you're looking for reliability and durability, buy the Lexus. The BMW does drive and handle better than the Lexus. If you value your time, don't buy a BMW. It will be in the shop a lot. This was my 4th and last BMW. Go over to the BMW forums and see what problems others are having. My battery wouldn't stay charged on it's own without a battery tender every night. BMW and my dealer said I didn't drive it enough to keep the battery charged. I don't have trouble with either one of my Lexus vehicles staying charged. Parts availability is a joke at BMW. I drove around for 3 months with a check engine light waiting on a part and another 5 weeks waiting on another part. Both times, I had to call BMWNA and complain. Just know what you're getting into with the BMW. The comfort seats with nappa leather in the BMW are great. Don't order it without comfort seats.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 03-20-10, 05:07 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

2010 BMW745Li $97,475 would sell for $95,500 plus dealer cost of $750.00

2010 Mercedes S550 $101,035 would not budge on price

2010 LS460L sticker $77,740 bought for $71,000 with pretty much the same options as the other two cars

Besides the price and great re-sale of a Lexus, the main reason I went with Lexus is their great reputation for reliability. I bought a 2009 "E"550 coupe for my wife and lemon lawed in 2 months time. Electrical problems galore. They offered me a new car which I kindly refused and bought the LS which I'm happy to say not one problem since my purchase.

Oh, and BTW, my 460L provides at least a 20% quieter ride compared to the BMW and 10% compared to the Mercedes cars I test drove. Test results where taken using a top of the line electronic db meter equipped with fast sampling.

Which ever you choose, all 3 very nice cars. Good Luck!

Last edited by OPSBD; 03-20-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 04:39 AM
PH1958
Driver School Candidate

I have been a loyal MB customer for a long time. Before my recent CPO 2006 S430 AWD, I drove a 1997 S320 as my commuter vehicle. I still own a 2007 GL450 and a 2005 SL500.

I owned the 2006 S430 AWD for two years. Despite the CPO warranty, the dealers could not resolve a continual "roll" from the driver's front wheel. The culprit was likely a grabbing brake or a bearing-related problem. I experienced other episodic events. I eventually gave up and traded in for a 2010 LS460L AWD in February.

Yes...the observations above are generally on-target. The overall comfort, (expected) reliability, and cost / value were compelling selling points.
Old 03-21-10, 08:25 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To most of the points noted above, a LOT of this also has to do with the competence of the dealer network. Lexus, Mercedes and BMW are all fine cars, but if your dealership is incompetent then your experience is not what it should be. I found Mercedes to be hit and miss.. as is Lexus. I have good luck at one dealership for an issue, I may have a a bad experience at another. I left Mercedes cars and came over to Lexus for this reason.

The manufacturer is supposed to control this, but my experience for Lexus has not been in line with their marketing at a consistent level. Sewell in Dallas or Fort Worth for example, would be IMO better than any dealer experience in So Cal. The level of the 3 vehicles were discussing here are all top quality and a wonderful driving experience, just each a bit different in what they do best.

Last edited by cmasten; 03-21-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 09:11 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile WOW,Great points!!!

Originally Posted by cmasten
To most of the points noted above, a LOT of this also has to do with the competence of the dealer network. Lexus, Mercedes and BMW are all fine cars, but if your dealership is incompetent then your experience is not what it should be. I found Mercedes to be hit and miss.. as is Lexus. I have good luck at one dealership for any issues I may have an a bad experience at another. I left Mercedes cars and came over to Lexus for this reason.

The manufacturer is supposed to control this, but my experience for Lexus has not been in line with their marketing at a consistent level. Sewell in Dallas or Fort Worth for example, would be IMO better than any dealer experience in So Cal. The level of the 3 vehicles were discussing here are all top quality and a wonderful driving experience, just each a bit different in what they go best.
I Loved cmasten's take on this issue. He's right. I owned a Benz in the Norfolk/Va Beach,VA metro and I loved the treatment I got from Benz but, didnt have as good of an experience with the Lexus dealer. I felt the Lexus dealer saw me as some dumb black guy that got lucky. I was overcharged and never given any money of the 4 Lexus I purchased from the Va Beach dealer.

I reluctantly went to Benz(Philips) the dealer in Va Beach just two miles down the road on the same main street(Va Beach Blvd.) and the experience was a breath of fresh air. For the 1st time ever I was told I can sell my car(to the dealer for a cashiers check) and not trade it in. I got a check from Benz for the agreed value for the GS I traded in. I got a S430 from Benz(gave me $3,000 off it was the thought that counted and I didnt ask for anything off they just gave it to me) and was happy with the service and treatment(Benz gave then a welcome gift basket as well as great treatment) but, the Benz had to many issues car wise, so I left and I regret it a little to this day. The treatment and 1st class service was 2nd to none.

I can say that cmasten made very factual points in my opinion. I was treated even worse by a Lexus dealer in Maryland. After the issues with Benz I went and got a car from a dealer in Maryland that sold Lexus'(Darcars)! They were 10 times worse than my experince in Va Beach. They also called the Va Beach dealer to brag how I came to them to buy instead of the Va Beach dealer. They lied to me about the car and to the Va Beach dealer about things as well.

That said, Im not mad or angry about my experiences. I was 24 when I became very well of financially. Now I'm 36 and have learned so much from the negative as well as good experiences. I learned what cmasten is saying. Part of what we buy is how were treated. I imagine that other Benz owners love the service they get and thats part of why they stay with Benz. At least here at the Va Beach Benz dealer I went to they had customer service down to a T.

Had the dealer been bad in treatment it would have effected my overall view of the Benz itself. Dealers must concentrate on treatment of customers and potential customers and train there salesman to be precise in dealing with clients. I like the Benz,Lexus and the BMW as well as the JAg and also the Acura. If I had to pick based on all aspects from the buying,cost,treatment etc., I would be in a Benz. I decided to go with Lexus based on reliability because how I was treated by them soared my trust for ALL car salesman(Lexus). My experiences with Lexus have been horrible but, with Benz they have been 1st class as luxury car buying experiences should be.

If Benz ever corrects there issues, Im back in a Benz. For now, Lexus reliability is a winner and keeps me there despite the awful way I was treated at times. ALL the best on were you decide to buy thread starter. No decison is wrong if we feel its best for us and us alone. L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-21-10 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-10, 03:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

The issue of the individual dealership is an interesting one. When I bought my LS the dealship could not have been better. I got a spectacular deal and they could not have been more cordial and accomodating. I've purchased many cars over the years and it was by far my best experience ever.

Then last year I visited the dealership with the idea of possibly trading in for an AWD LS. Well my original salesman was no longer there so I hooked up with a new one. About the best I can say is he gives snakeoil salesmen a good name. The man outright lied to me about two key things.

I wanted the pre-collision system (which I have on my LS) and he told me that Lexus didn't offer it any more. I asked him to double chck because I had been online a week before and Lexus showed it as available. He insisted that it was no longer available (I'm sure the reason was he none on the lot and he wanted to sell a car that day).

The dealership was offering a 20% premium on fair market value for trade-ins based on Kelley Blue Book. He gave me a trade-in value based on my car being in fair condition. He told me I didn't read the offer correctly. I asked him why should get the same value for my low mileage excellent condition car as some one else with a high mileage fair condition car. I can't remember his exact response, but needless to say it was bullcrap.

I wrote to Lexus and explained the whole unpleasant experience. Hopefully he has been fired. I'll give the dealership another chance if I'm interested in a Lexus, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series