LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 door hinges defective--replaced twice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 01:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
My car is also a 2007 - bought new - and I have absolutely no issues at all with any doors. Everything works perfect.

BTW I almost got rid of my LS460 for the new XJ - I'm glad I didn't - have you guys read the horror stories? Yikes... roof pops, buggy head unit software, SES light lit on brand new cars... I won't complain about my rock solid Lexi anymore.
Originally Posted by adamls2
I remember when you were about to jump on the new XJ and yeah I heard all those stories and was in denial because I really liked the car until recently I went and actually saw the car it self for the 1st time and was really disappointed with the quality of it
out of frustration with the vibration issues with my 22's I was thinking about picking up and 08 750Li with the sport package and rear entertainment package, but then thought am I getting myself into more trouble.
Old 01-13-12, 04:32 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I remember when you were about to jump on the new XJ and yeah I heard all those stories and was in denial because I really liked the car until recently I went and actually saw the car it self for the 1st time and was really disappointed with the quality of it
I remember as well when you were thinking about jumping ship and i like the way the XJ looks inside & out too. The problems on the XJ make the first yr issues on the 460 look like less of an issue.
Old 01-13-12, 09:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Im learning that sometimes you will have to just go with the lesser of the evils
Old 01-16-12, 10:45 AM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My left rear passenger door has had this hinge issue for months now. So during my last oil change I asked about what was going on. I was told that this is the first time hearing of the issue ... I told them it's under CPO and to see if it is covered ... i was told about an hour later that it WASN'T covered ... WTF!!!

So I'm reading some people on this forum getting it replaced under their CPO ... why is it so damn inconsistent across the board?

Looks like I may have to escalate to Lexus Corporate, AGAIN .... after they tried to shut me down on the Seat Cushion TSB.
Old 01-16-12, 05:21 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

now i've ordered the hinges but..... i'm dropping off the LIST of TSIB's i want done the next time i drop off the car... so hinges this week... anything listed issues or no next week.... see how it plays out..
Old 01-16-12, 10:11 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW could be good, although I had couple recalls, all of them really weren't required at least for me. however Mercedes always brughtp at least one problem for me, my dynamic driver seat pstopped working, so I did repair, Luckyly Lexus doesn't have the feature. So no 100% reliable car in my practice (to be honest my Chevy never brought me a single problem, but maybe because it was so simple)
Old 01-18-12, 06:18 AM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jjmmd
I
My ls460l has defective door hinges first appearing at 40000 milesnon passenger side and 60000miles on driver side. My dealer states Toyota is not responsiblenfornthis ...a car innate difficultynopning the doors is useless
Caution::Toyota does not stand by
Yntheir warranty!!!!! I have seen multiple blogs on the Internet concerning thisnproblem and no resolution from lxusbon problem!!!!!!!

I will buy a me cedes or BMW before buying Lexus again,,
This is our first Lexus after owning a 1998 Mercedes E320 (which we still have because it is the cheapest mode of transportation we have EVER had-best car ever!). The true test when owning a car is how the dealership/company customer service handles problems. So far, for us regarding this hinge issue, the jury is still out on Lexus.
Old 01-18-12, 03:43 PM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eleveniss
We have a 2007 GS 350. Both doors on the passenger side have defective door hinges. Both doors require a hard shove to close. The passenger side doors are rarely used and the vehicle is garaged. The concern is that the other hinges will fail soon as well. The car is out of warranty and Lexus is working with us to come up with a solution. Customer Service in Torrance is unaware of this problem. How strange a problem on a $50,000 car! From reading this forum, it sounds as if we are not the only ones who have encountered this problem. How does one know whether the $300 fix per hinge will prevent this from happening again?
As a follow-up to my first posting from last week, i wanted to let forum readers know that Lexus customer service came through and is helping us with the hinges. We are pleased with the quick response from CA and the resolution. That is what I hoped for from Lexus. Well done!!
Old 01-18-12, 06:23 PM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eleveniss
This is our first Lexus after owning a 1998 Mercedes E320 (which we still have because it is the cheapest mode of transportation we have EVER had-best car ever!). The true test when owning a car is how the dealership/company customer service handles problems. So far, for us regarding this hinge issue, the jury is still out on Lexus.
As of today, 1/18/12, Lexus, Torrance, CA, came through ! I am impressed!
Old 06-25-12, 01:29 PM
evanob
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 LS460 90K Hinge problem

Only the driver's door is affected and it just started 3 weeks ago. Try to swing door close normally and it does not make it, too much friction. No damage to this door. I still have Platinum Warranty to 100K but they said the hinges aren't covered. I have owned many cars over the years, but this hinge problem is a first. Never even seen in unreliable brands. I am trying to price the hinges to maybe change myself. Disappointed in Lexus for this strange problem. Is it only the '07s that are affected?
Old 06-25-12, 03:44 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evanob
Only the driver's door is affected and it just started 3 weeks ago. Try to swing door close normally and it does not make it, too much friction. No damage to this door. I still have Platinum Warranty to 100K but they said the hinges aren't covered. I have owned many cars over the years, but this hinge problem is a first. Never even seen in unreliable brands. I am trying to price the hinges to maybe change myself. Disappointed in Lexus for this strange problem. Is it only the '07s that are affected?
hope it works out.. i bought my hinges (pass front) a few months back.. i need to drop it off to the body shop(they come unpainted)... fyi for front doors.. the fender needs to come off..so does the front bumper..
Old 06-25-12, 04:19 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about the hinges and tricks to removing those i would love to get those painted..
Old 06-27-12, 02:10 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

hinges were about $80 or so..but it was labor an paint where the dollars come into play....
Old 07-02-12, 06:56 AM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evanob
I would elevate this to Lexus Customer Service. They helped with our replacement and the door works very well now. They were very easy to work with and they contacted the dealer for us so that when we called back, the dealer was all set to shoulder some of the cost. It was very reasonable, too! No need to do it yourself.
Old 07-02-12, 06:59 AM
evanob
Driver School Candidate

Default Hinges or partial open mechanism?

Is everyone sure that the actual hinges are the problem and not just the tensioning device that stops the door at 1/4 open and 1/2 open?

Quick Reply: LS 460 door hinges defective--replaced twice