LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 door hinges defective--replaced twice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 01:22 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sadly, my driver side passgenger door is hard to open. You really have to PULL the door to have it open. Not smooth like the other three. Also, when closing, it has to be in the "sweet spot" for the door closer to close...otherwise it'll be 1/2 open and the car is happy at that. Def need to bring it in one day for this before warranty expires
Old 03-06-11, 07:31 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

mine had the same issue(same door).. changed the hinges (upper was impossible to move off the car..) took an hr or so...now its perfect.... if u have to buy em theyre like 65 bucks..
Old 03-06-11, 07:41 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is there anything that may cause this? My LS has 70k miles on it and the doors are all super smooth. They are heavy too.. and have dual seals so I would imagine even a little offset would be a problem.

Youngsters or other hanging off of them them? Also what is involved for the dealer to repair these, are the hinges welded in place or is there some bolts that a DIYr could manage?

Thanks
Old 03-07-11, 04:48 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

no welds just a few bolts.. diy can do it but u may need a 2nd person to help support door while u align it.. id do 1 hinge at a time to help support the weight.. only thing is they came in unpainted (in silver) i had my painter spray em to match..

any body shop should also be able to do it in short order as well..

as for causes.. your guess is as good as mine.. i contacted the previous owner of mine.. he said that door was opened few & far between. it was used for work only
commuting between tampa an sarasota..
Old 05-24-11, 03:16 PM
tx1ccore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Driverside Door Hinge

Unfortunately I experienced a bent door hinge after my purchase of a used 2007 LS 460 (50K miles). After a week of ownership I noticed the problem.
The door would not close without a good shove. Called the dealer was
told to bring in I said I'd wait until my first oil change. The dealer told me that I must have bent the door hinge on something or the wind must have caught it and would not fix it (it had 54K at the time). Treated me like Crap. I had even purchased the extended warrant for over 2 grand up to 120K. If you buy in Michigan don't buy from Meade Lexus of Lakeside.

Thank God for Lexus of Ann Arbor they took care of it for me and treated me like I was a king. God Bless Remy and the crew at Lexus of Ann Arbor.
Old 05-24-11, 03:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by tx1ccore
Unfortunately I experienced a bent door hinge after my purchase of a used 2007 LS 460 (50K miles). After a week of ownership I noticed the problem.
The door would not close without a good shove. Called the dealer was
told to bring in I said I'd wait until my first oil change. The dealer told me that I must have bent the door hinge on something or the wind must have caught it and would not fix it (it had 54K at the time). Treated me like Crap. I had even purchased the extended warrant for over 2 grand up to 120K. If you buy in Michigan don't buy from Meade Lexus of Lakeside.

Thank God for Lexus of Ann Arbor they took care of it for me and treated me like I was a king. God Bless Remy and the crew at Lexus of Ann Arbor.
It amazes me how some people can stay in business, and what the hell they are thinking. You will never buy from Meade again (not to mention all the friends you will tell). Meanwhile, you will probably buy from Ann Arbor even if their price is higher than some other dealers.
Old 05-24-11, 08:38 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear..hundred bucks outta the dealers pocket.. to satisfy a customer.. lexus of orlando goes outta the way to take care of its customers.. i can proudly say.. i'll be a lexus owner for LIFE...
Old 06-26-11, 06:06 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Angry

damn drivers door is squeaking now.... i'm gonna see if it can get the dealer to foot the bill on this one... because i think the passenger front door is getting stiff too....does anyone know how a simple hinge could go bad?!!!!!

this is something that needs looking into....
Old 06-28-11, 08:46 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

so went to dealer today.... waiting to see if they are going to replace remaining 3 hinges(under warranty) probably not.. service rep said problem was due to "coastal moisture" WTF is coastal moisture!!!!! I LIVE IN FL...its like 100% humidity half the yr.. what do they think i drove INTO the atlantic last time i went to the beach!!
Old 06-28-11, 08:48 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

FYI they want 380+ per door to replace... any ideas how i should proceed????
Old 01-11-12, 05:18 PM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Passenger side hinges GS350 2007

We have a 2007 GS 350. Both doors on the passenger side have defective door hinges. Both doors require a hard shove to close. The passenger side doors are rarely used and the vehicle is garaged. The concern is that the other hinges will fail soon as well. The car is out of warranty and Lexus is working with us to come up with a solution. Customer Service in Torrance is unaware of this problem. How strange a problem on a $50,000 car! From reading this forum, it sounds as if we are not the only ones who have encountered this problem. How does one know whether the $300 fix per hinge will prevent this from happening again?
Old 01-11-12, 06:06 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

this is quite interesting/scary to read - I haven't experienced anything like any of those aforementioned - but I'd definitely like to see a solution to all of this. i'll run this by the service manager at the local dealership (friend of mine) and see if there's something that can be done.
Old 01-11-12, 08:10 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is also a 2007 - bought new - and I have absolutely no issues at all with any doors. Everything works perfect.

BTW I almost got rid of my LS460 for the new XJ - I'm glad I didn't - have you guys read the horror stories? Yikes... roof pops, buggy head unit software, SES light lit on brand new cars... I won't complain about my rock solid Lexi anymore.
Old 01-12-12, 01:27 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak

BTW I almost got rid of my LS460 for the new XJ - I'm glad I didn't - have you guys read the horror stories? Yikes... roof pops, buggy head unit software, SES light lit on brand new cars... I won't complain about my rock solid Lexi anymore.
I remember when you were about to jump on the new XJ and yeah I heard all those stories and was in denial because I really liked the car until recently I went and actually saw the car it self for the 1st time and was really disappointed with the quality of it
Old 01-12-12, 12:47 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

its been months since i've heard from Lexus of orlando about my hinges.... but they did have some chick call me today.. to see if i was interested in getting a new car for wifey.....i told her not until u figure out how to fix my car 1st....i'm having my calipers painted next week... if i can work the deal w/my body guy.. i'll just buy the damn hinges.. an have him put em on... BUT if they fail again...that's all the excuse i need....R8 here i come....

Quick Reply: LS 460 door hinges defective--replaced twice