LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wiring for Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 05:17 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for Radar Detector

Hello Everyone: I was trying to find a hot wire for direct wiring of my radar detector. I tried many of the fuses on the drivers fuse box with no luck. I would wire it direct to the cigarette lighter but I do not know how to get to the cigarette lighter wiring. Is there another place to tie into or can someone tell me step by step how to get to the back of the cigarette lighter wiring? I am trying to find a hot wire that only works when the ignition is on and goes off when the ignition is turned off.

Thanks

Davedan - check is in the mail

jarm
Old 01-19-10, 08:51 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
Hello Everyone: I was trying to find a hot wire for direct wiring of my radar detector. I tried many of the fuses on the drivers fuse box with no luck. I would wire it direct to the cigarette lighter but I do not know how to get to the cigarette lighter wiring. Is there another place to tie into or can someone tell me step by step how to get to the back of the cigarette lighter wiring? I am trying to find a hot wire that only works when the ignition is on and goes off when the ignition is turned off.

Thanks

Davedan - check is in the mail

jarm
Jarm - I don't remember exactly and don't have the manual handy, but I think in the fuse box to the left of the brake pedal there is a fuse labeled "Accessory". That should be the "cigarette lighter" socket. I used an Add-a-Fuse to tap into that fuse for my detector.

It is switched with the ignition and works perfectly.

Look in the manual at the fuse block diagrams and you should find it.

Old 01-19-10, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

cigarette lighter is very easy to get to. pop the two side leather panels from the center console (toward the sides), and then the ashtray assembly pops out 45 degrees, you are done
Old 01-19-10, 10:51 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of radar detectors are you guys using?
Old 01-20-10, 04:38 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuse for the cigarette lighters (one in the ashtray, two on the rear of the center console) are located in the fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side. The fuse for the aux power socket inside the center console is located in the fuse panel under the dash on the driver side.

I'm trying hard to pull the trigger on a Passport 9500ci or the new Passport Qi45 installed systems. My installer said they replace the ashtray with a custom piece that houses the controller so it's hidden behind the ashtray cover panel. The alarm speaker goes under the dash out of sight.
Old 01-20-10, 07:52 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

^ Yeah, I must have used the AUX fuse location. It's been two years, so I've forgotten exactly which one. It IS the one under the dash on the driver's side, though.

As for the kind of detector, I'm running a Passport 8500 X50.

Old 01-20-10, 08:44 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

I'm thinking about getting the V1 but I dont want it to just be sitting there attached to the windshield.

The dilemma...lol
Old 01-20-10, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by melymel96
I'm thinking about getting the V1 but I dont want it to just be sitting there attached to the windshield.

The dilemma...lol
on my gs400 and is300, i had the hardwire but i hid the wire at the top (using the mirror power). i only put on the radar when i needed it, otherwise the wire was sort of hidden
Old 01-20-10, 09:45 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
on my gs400 and is300, i had the hardwire but i hid the wire at the top (using the mirror power). i only put on the radar when i needed it, otherwise the wire was sort of hidden
Yeah I was looking at the thread with the guy who has the GS350 who had it embedded in his rearview mirror, but then you still need to put the main unit where it can pick up the signals.

I think I will put this at the bottom of the priority list.

Anybody ever had any experience with the V1?
Old 01-20-10, 10:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah I was looking at the thread with the guy who has the GS350 who had it embedded in his rearview mirror, but then you still need to put the main unit where it can pick up the signals.

I think I will put this at the bottom of the priority list.

Anybody ever had any experience with the V1?
i have v1 and i will only use v1, quite a few of my friends had v1 and others and they all ended up with v1. it's great unit, i love it. paid what, 400 bucks? the amount it has saved me from the cops and chp and insurance is way way more

for me i put the radar right underneath the mirror. but again, that's only when i use the radar.
Old 01-20-10, 10:54 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

i have v1 and i will only use v1, quite a few of my friends had v1 and others and they all ended up with v1. it's great unit, i love it. paid what, 400 bucks? the amount it has saved me from the cops and chp and insurance is way way more

for me i put the radar right underneath the mirror. but again, that's only when i use the radar.
Thanks rominl. When I was driving into work this morning I was thinking about putting it above the rearview mirror and having the wire hidden. I was on the V1 website last night and the radar detecors were going for 279.00.
Old 01-20-10, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks rominl. When I was driving into work this morning I was thinking about putting it above the rearview mirror and having the wire hidden. I was on the V1 website last night and the radar detecors were going for 279.00.
https://store.valentine1.com/store/

i think it's always been 399?

but anyway, hiding the wire isn't a big concern. on my gs400 and is300, i did the whole hardwire in less than an hour, just need to find the power wire inside the mirror (ignition hot) and you can easily do the wire around/behind teh mirror
Old 01-20-10, 11:31 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

https://store.valentine1.com/store/

i think it's always been 399?

but anyway, hiding the wire isn't a big concern. on my gs400 and is300, i did the whole hardwire in less than an hour, just need to find the power wire inside the mirror (ignition hot) and you can easily do the wire around/behind teh mirror
LOL I could of swore that said 279.00 last night. Man I'm losing my mind and getting old...this is bad.
Old 01-20-10, 12:52 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of the Valentine V-1, I have one in my pickup which I move to the LS on trips (wifey doesn't like the audio and she drives this more than I do.)

Seems like I tied it to a switched 12V source in the left footwell wire. I suspect there is another switched 12V source in the overhead console for a really short wire run to a windhield mount.

I also have one on the bike, stealth-mounted below the headlight, I ride in VA at times where they don't like you to use electronics to avoid them, but it's prefectly OK for them to use electronics to increase their revenue.

Valentine has remote audio and visual modules. I have those modules enclosed in a hard glasses case between the handelbars. If any VA or DC LEO's come swaggering over I just close the case...out of sight.

I've seen others do a similar remote mount on their cars in VA and DC by mounting the V-1 behind the grill and remoting the modules to the ashtray.

Whit

"This election was for you Mary Jo" - Rush 1/20/10
Old 01-20-10, 01:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Love the Rush quote!

Quick Reply: Wiring for Radar Detector