LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 RWD Handling on Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 04:23 PM
SilverC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never turn and brake at the same time. They both use up what little precious grip there is and compromise each other. Brake as hard as possible in a straight line using all the road you can, then release the brake, give the car a half second to compose itself and start turning as gently as you can. That said you cannot beat the principles of physics.
Old 03-02-15, 06:26 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I gotta say, I drove my rwd 460 in a pretty nasty snow situation a few weeks ago, i thought it handled itself pretty damn good in snow mode. It wasnt the best car on earth in the snow, but did admirably in my opinion
Old 03-03-15, 03:25 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Never turn right in the snow and/or ice. You can think about it, but don't do it. Instead just turn left 3 times to go where right would have taken you. Tires don't turn right on snow and ice very well. They do much better to the left.

Now below the equator, you'll want to do it the opposite.
Old 03-03-15, 08:29 PM
charlesatl
Driver

I learned to drive in extremely bad weather in Kansas City years ago in beater cars. I learned back then to always keep a full gas tank, use the correct tires and weigh down the back with sand or kitty litter or barbell plates. Also allow yourself plenty to arrive at your destination and remember all the other drivers have NO idea how to drive in such weather. Their idea of braking is to hit your car.
I next moved to Tulsa where the first couple of winters were horrible so I had enough and purchased a Jeep. The entire 4 years I owned the Jeep it NEVER snowed...never got to use the four wheel drive once......sheesh
Old 03-04-15, 01:04 AM
msalha
Driver School Candidate

Default handling in the snow

I lived in MA for 30 years and drove RWD for most of the 30 years. I drove BMW's most of the time.
The key to driving in the snow is weight distribution. BMW's secret to good handling is that most of their cars are 50/50 weight ration between the front and the back. I never had any issues on the snow in terms of losing control. The problem with LS460 is its nose heavy, if you put some weight in the back to make the car almost 50/50 probably around 300lb in the truck, the car would handle much better in the snow. what also does not help is the car's cushiny suspension as the car would lean too much opposite of the direction where you going causing instablity in the weight distribution.
As a gentleman mentioned earlier, don't turn right. Always turn left on the snow, This is because you would have wider turning angle and would lean force would be far less than when turning right.

Was actually shoping for LS 460 sport 2011 and likes the handling. no luck finding one in MA though
Old 03-04-15, 06:53 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msalha
I lived in MA for 30 years and drove RWD for most of the 30 years. I drove BMW's most of the time.
The key to driving in the snow is weight distribution. BMW's secret to good handling is that most of their cars are 50/50 weight ration between the front and the back. I never had any issues on the snow in terms of losing control. The problem with LS460 is its nose heavy, if you put some weight in the back to make the car almost 50/50 probably around 300lb in the truck, the car would handle much better in the snow. what also does not help is the car's cushiny suspension as the car would lean too much opposite of the direction where you going causing instablity in the weight distribution.
As a gentleman mentioned earlier, don't turn right. Always turn left on the snow, This is because you would have wider turning angle and would lean force would be far less than when turning right.

Was actually shoping for LS 460 sport 2011 and likes the handling. no luck finding one in MA though
there may still be a sport on offleaseonly.com if you want to get a car shipped to you...
Old 03-04-15, 08:28 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by msalha
BMW's secret to good handling is that most of their cars are 50/50 weight ration between the front and the back.
I have a Mazda RX-7 with almost exactly 50 / 50 weight distribution. It SUCKS in the snow / ice. An equal weight distribution helps, but I don't believe it is key. Because most cars (sedans) are fairly close to 50 / 50 anyway.

In my opinion, in the snow, the keys are a) tires made for snow (i.e. Blizzacks), b) ground clearance / snow clearance, and c) longer wheelbases. A longer wheelbase tends to reduce the tendency of a slide out of driving direction. And if a slide does occur, a longer wheelbase is easier to deal with. Kind of like the feeling of closing a standard door, and closing a barn door. A standard door is much lighter and can change direction quicker. My truck has a 155" wheelbase. One time I turned left to get on an interstate on-ramp. It was wet, and slick. I purpously goosed it to break the back-end loose. I drifted it about 1/4 of the way down the ramp, but when it started to recover it was easy to control because it was so slow to move back into alignment. A couple cars behind me were slamming on thier brakes and like stopping, thinking I was going to crash imminently. I just kept going and merged onto the interstate. The only time I've drifted and looked like a pro.

In my opinion, on ice, the key is only: The gray matter located in one's skull, paired with very low levels of acceleration in ANY direction.
Old 03-04-15, 01:47 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Well I must be the greatest winter driver of all time, I'm two weeks away (hopefully) of making it through the snowiest winter in Boston's history and I did it by driving my RWD LS 460 (with snow tires). Never came close to having a problem - even this week my Monday morning commute was snow covered, along with my Wednesday morning commute and the thing did fabulous (160 miles of driving). The only thing I worry about is all the salt that my undercarriage has had to endure this winter.

Having said all that I probably just jinxed myself.
Old 03-05-15, 07:38 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i know i might get some ridicule for this, but i almost think that my car handles better than the AWD!

it's not as dangerous in the fact that the power front he front wheels isn't pulling me around as well or into a bigger "donut"... quite simply this car doesn't break loose as easily, and i'm not driving with the false sense of security that i shouldn't have with an AWD...

just my thoughts as we have had heavy snow here this winter as well, and the only trouble i had was a plastic piece getting ripped off the bottom of my car from the 5-8" snow on the roads, which Lexus put back on a no cost...

the only benefit that i think an AWD would have would be for hilly areas or steep driveways, but since those two things aren't a problem for me i'm fine...

i am not driving with winter tires either, but good Michelin all season shoes...
Old 03-05-15, 07:51 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with Doublebase. I live in CT but just purchased a 2007 LS460 in MA this weekend. I drove up knowing that it's supposed to snow and knew I was in for an adventure if I decided to buy it and drive it back.

To my surprise, the car came with Blizzaks on already and a set of all seasons in the trunk and back seat. Needless to say, I bought it and I can't believe how well the LS handled in the snow on the way back. There was probably 2-5" of snow on the highway, as it was coming down hard and plows couldn't keep up. By the time I got into CT, I got used to its handling and was confident in driving it. I've probably had close to 30 cars in my lifetime, and aside from some 4x4 trucks I've owned, this has to be one of the best snow cars, even beating most front-wheel drives I've driven. However, I do realize that the snow tires had much to do with this as well.
Learned a lot in regards to the LS thanks to this forum, by the way.
Old 03-05-15, 12:03 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by konradl
I have to agree with Doublebase. I live in CT but just purchased a 2007 LS460 in MA this weekend. I drove up knowing that it's supposed to snow and knew I was in for an adventure if I decided to buy it and drive it back.

To my surprise, the car came with Blizzaks on already and a set of all seasons in the trunk and back seat. Needless to say, I bought it and I can't believe how well the LS handled in the snow on the way back. There was probably 2-5" of snow on the highway, as it was coming down hard and plows couldn't keep up. By the time I got into CT, I got used to its handling and was confident in driving it. I've probably had close to 30 cars in my lifetime, and aside from some 4x4 trucks I've owned, this has to be one of the best snow cars, even beating most front-wheel drives I've driven. However, I do realize that the snow tires had much to do with this as well.
Hey konradl: CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO CL!!
Since you're a self confirmed lurker, I'm sure that you've been able to see that everyone around here are pretty informative, and just all around a great bunch of LS owners!
When you get a chance, create a new thread and post photos! We'd love to see your "new to you" LS!
Glad you got home safe, congratulations and once again-welcome to CL!
Old 03-05-15, 04:03 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

My buddy has a Hyundai Azera (front wheel drive) and he says the thing is terrible in the snow - which makes me laugh because the reason why he didn't buy the LS is because it's rear wheel drive (I don't think he realizes that you can get it in AWD).

There really are some front wheel drive cars that aren't very good in the snow, it has to do with weight distribution. I have driven some mini vans in the snow and they are down right dangerous.
Old 03-06-15, 07:01 AM
konradl
Rookie

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Hey konradl: CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO CL!!
Since you're a self confirmed lurker, I'm sure that you've been able to see that everyone around here are pretty informative, and just all around a great bunch of LS owners!
When you get a chance, create a new thread and post photos! We'd love to see your "new to you" LS!
Glad you got home safe, congratulations and once again-welcome to CL!
Thanks a bunch CRowe! Although I was pretty confident with the Lexus/Toyota reliability, it's always nice to do research before hand. And you are right, this is a great forum from what I've read through so far with a great bunch of LS owners, a lots of valuable, priceless info. Not the same can be said about the snooty MB S500 forum I belonged to a few years back - that didn't last long. It seems to be the opposite case with the LS owners on here and overall.
I'll be sure to post some pictures soon, although it's just a stock, gray LS
Old 03-06-15, 07:05 AM
konradl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doublebase
My buddy has a Hyundai Azera (front wheel drive) and he says the thing is terrible in the snow - which makes me laugh because the reason why he didn't buy the LS is because it's rear wheel drive (I don't think he realizes that you can get it in AWD).

There really are some front wheel drive cars that aren't very good in the snow, it has to do with weight distribution. I have driven some mini vans in the snow and they are down right dangerous.
To be honest, that was my only hesitation at first since we like to take trips up north (VT, NH) in winter. However, that worry went out the door after the drive home in the storm. As you said, weight distribution has a lot to do with it and it so happens that the LS is well distributed.
Old 03-06-15, 08:04 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks a bunch CRowe! Although I was pretty confident with the Lexus/Toyota reliability, it's always nice to do research before hand. And you are right, this is a great forum from what I've read through so far with a great bunch of LS owners, a lots of valuable, priceless info. Not the same can be said about the snooty MB S500 forum I belonged to a few years back - that didn't last long. It seems to be the opposite case with the LS owners on here and overall.
I'll be sure to post some pictures soon, although it's just a stock, gray LS
My friend... If I may make a statement here
Well first: It was largely due to the people in the LS forum that gave me the reassurance to purchase the car. Its one thing to know about a cars lineage but nothing can replace the feedback and input from owners of a vehicle.
Secondly, due to this car being RWD, I had many apprehensions about driving this car in the snow, but this thread has cleared up much if not all of it and I no longer feel this car would perform in a inferior fashion. Snow tires (Doublebase) or All Season (Petetybabes), that grey matter-as 7milesout puts it, between your ears matters for quite a bit of how a car will handle!
Lastly, I look forward to seeing your photos, and please understand, and this isn't a snooty remark, but very true and nearly fact: there's no such thing as "just a stock LS". These cars are timeless and beautiful in their own right. Whenever I see one driving in my area, I always find myself admiring the car. Simply a very nice vehicle.

Quick Reply: LS 460 RWD Handling on Snow