LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Big LS price drop for 2010?

Old 09-25-09, 01:20 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Big LS price drop for 2010?

Was just at my dealer, and my salesman told me they had a sales meeting where they were told the 2010 LS460 base MSRP will drop approximately $9,000. (!)

My '08 with Nav and ML that listed for about $72k will probably run about $63k for 2010. Wow.

This is good news and bad news - good for anyone buying a 2010, but it also means the trade-in value of anything prior to 2010 will plummet.

Yet another reason I'm glad I leased ... I'll just turn my '08 in next year and decide if I want to lease another one. You guys who bought, though, will see the value of your cars drop, since a new one costs much less than before.

Let me emphasize this is hearsay until the official pricing info is released, but the guy had no reason to tell me a fib. In fact, he told me trading my '08 early wouldn't do me any good.

Old 09-25-09, 01:26 PM
DallasGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Was just at my dealer, and my salesman told me they had a sales meeting where they were told the 2010 LS460 base MSRP will drop approximately $9,000. (!)

My '08 with Nav and ML that listed for about $72k will probably run about $63k for 2010. Wow.

This is good news and bad news - good for anyone buying a 2010, but it also means the trade-in value of anything prior to 2010 will plummet.

Yet another reason I'm glad I leased ... I'll just turn my '08 in next year and decide if I want to lease another one. You guys who bought, though, will see the value of your cars drop, since a new one costs much less than before.

Let me emphasize this is hearsay until the official pricing info is released, but the guy had no reason to tell me a fib. In fact, he told me trading my '08 early wouldn't do me any good.

they have never done this in the past.Iam sure they wont do it now.
iam sure u R safe MIKE
Old 09-25-09, 01:42 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way, unless they move the factory to KY. I say this sales guy is full of ****.
Old 09-25-09, 02:04 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

I guess he may be full of it, but he also mentioned they've never done this before, too.

But then again, the car business has never really been in this shape, either!

One thing to think about is that it wasn't unusual to get $7,000-9,000 off list on 2007-2009 LS460's (I know I got $7,500 off mine). They will probably now just discount them less.

I'll repeat ... this is just what I was told - by a salesman I've known for years - and until I see it myself I won't know if it's true. I agree it sounds like a big change, but Toyota can afford to do it if they want to. And you have to agree it would really pump up sales ...

Old 09-25-09, 02:10 PM
DallasGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I guess he may be full of it, but he also mentioned they've never done this before, too.

But then again, the car business has never really been in this shape, either!

One thing to think about is that it wasn't unusual to get $7,000-9,000 off list on 2007-2009 LS460's (I know I got $7,500 off mine). They will probably now just discount them less.

I'll repeat ... this is just what I was told - by a salesman I've known for years - and until I see it myself I won't know if it's true. I agree it sounds like a big change, but Toyota can afford to do it if they want to. And you have to agree it would really pump up sales ...

they will probably go to everyday low price. 7500 off is nothing mercedes does over 20k off end of year deals, totally F---- up the resale. these cars r huge cash cows for them.
Old 09-25-09, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i will just wait till the 2010 LS is here and look at the sticker. just imho i think it's very hard to believe. a 73k ls460 (quite loaded) becomes 64k, that's pretty much the same price as a loaded gs460, it doesn't make sense.

put it this way, if it comes out and 2010 prices are just about the same as 09, mike you should go back to your sales and "demand" the 9k off price, haha
Old 09-25-09, 02:16 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it is $900 off instead of $9,000, but I asked twice and he insisted they were told $9,000.

Hey, I don't make this stuff up - I just report it.

Old 09-25-09, 02:43 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

They may be altering their pricing philosophy, placing a greater onus on dealers. I noticed the new HS250h starts off pretty low (for a Lexus anyway), and has a very extensive options list (not unlike Euro cars). So the car is quite modular, and this may be what Lexus is doing with the LS, to give the illusion of a price cut. Many buyers of Japanese cars complain about the way cars are packaged, getting features they don't want or need (like APGS), or wanting features that are only availble on higher models that cost $10K more. So if that is the direction they are headed in, we will now be able to mix and match what we want in a car.

*Well, that's the case in the US as far as I can see, as I checked the Canadian Lexus site, and the packaging resembles what has always been, with just a hint of modularization.*

That would then put dealers in a tight spot in the US, as they would have package their inventory in a manner that predicts what clients would like.

Last edited by Johnny; 09-25-09 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Info updated...
Old 09-25-09, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
They may be altering their pricing philosophy, placing a greater onus on dealers. I noticed the new HS250h's starts off pretty low (for a Lexus anyway), and has a very extensive options list (not unlike Euro cars). So the car is quite modular, and this may be what Lexus is doing with the LS, to give the illusion of a price cut. Many buyers of Japanese cars complain about the way cars are packaged, getting features they don't want or need (like APGS), or wanting features that are only availble on higher models that cost $10K more. So if that is the direction they are headed in, we will now be able to mix and match what we want in a car.

That would then put dealers in a tight spot, as they would have package their inventory in a manner that projects what clients would like.
haha i hope i don't start seeing leather seat as an OPTION on the ls
Old 09-25-09, 04:44 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll leave lurking mode for this one!

I hope Lexus doesn't make a mistake here. I don't so much mind the fact that Lexus (and other luxury makers) have made the brands more attainable and thus diluted in a sense, but I'd take issue if they turned the LS into an Avalon and harmed our resale value at the same time. A big part of what attracted me to Lexus is the service. I have strong fears that the level of service would decrease if they begin playing the quantity over quality game, which would be a downright shame.

They have a full line now. Personally, I'm of the opinion they should leave the flagship as-is.

Here's hoping the salesman misunderstood.
Old 09-25-09, 04:59 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont believe the price will drop any, it will remain the same. People who can afford to buy a 70K car will continue to buy them or otherwise buy something else cheaper. Remember the LS is the Lexus flagship car and I doubt Lexus will give it away. The worst that could happen is that they will minimize production. Sales guys tend to speculate a lot and I would wait until the car hits the show rooms.

Last edited by alsilverbullet; 09-25-09 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 07:28 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

Mercedes had a big price drop on the 2010 E class (about $5000). It would not surprise me if they drop the price some. These cars have HUGE markup. I got a $7,000 discount when I bought my GS350 about 18 months ago. From my point of view a $9,000 price drop would be GREAT !!!! Thinking about the new LS460 SZ or E550 for the wife. Anyway, when is the 2010 supposed to hit the showrooms?
Old 09-25-09, 07:44 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tommyd3
Anyway, when is the 2010 supposed to hit the showrooms?
Should be the latter part of next month ...

Old 09-25-09, 10:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting rumors but it would be a departure from the pattern established before...and they raised prices on new models, e.g. the 2010 IS, and just this week the 2010 ES...although they did adjust the packaging on the ES to gain significant more value by their calculation.
Old 09-26-09, 12:09 PM
amdave
Driver

if they drop it that much i may buy another one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big LS price drop for 2010?