LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Camber adjustment LS460

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 11:50 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber adjustment LS460

Hey guys,
I installed a set of Tanabe lowing springs and mht 22 inch wheels on my LS460. I have about 9k on the car, around 7k on the set of tires and thier all chewed up on the inside. Just had to replace the two fronts after 7k miles. It was showing the steel belts and started up unravel on the insides. Probably another 50 miles and i think it would have blown.
I aligned the car after i put the springs and wheels, and i just had it aligned again and it was about .6 degress out of range on both the fronts. 1.3 degrees was max allowable, that what the hunter machine printed out. I was told camber could not be adjusted and i needed a camber kit. I just hate to have to change out another set of front tires after 7k miles again.
Has anyone had this problem before?
Who makes caber plates or or kits for this car?

FYI Tanabe springs say it only lowers the car .8 but in actuality, its about 1.8 inches.
Old 06-06-09, 12:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there is no camber kits for the car and i doubt there will be one due to the size of the market. and they are correct that the camber is not adjustable on this car (just like other new lexus)

your options imho are
1) flip tires left and right (if directional) to "double" the life
2) adjust more toe in to compensate the inside wear

on lowered cars, factory spec is nothing more than a little guideline, shouldn't use that as the "spec" to follow. it all relies on shop's experience

hope this helps
Old 12-28-09, 08:57 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Having the same issue. Had to replace one rear and front after 10K miles I guess I have to keep a closer look and flip every 5-7K.

Originally Posted by tony2fingr
Hey guys,
I installed a set of Tanabe lowing springs and mht 22 inch wheels on my LS460. I have about 9k on the car, around 7k on the set of tires and thier all chewed up on the inside. Just had to replace the two fronts after 7k miles. It was showing the steel belts and started up unravel on the insides. Probably another 50 miles and i think it would have blown.
I aligned the car after i put the springs and wheels, and i just had it aligned again and it was about .6 degress out of range on both the fronts. 1.3 degrees was max allowable, that what the hunter machine printed out. I was told camber could not be adjusted and i needed a camber kit. I just hate to have to change out another set of front tires after 7k miles again.
Has anyone had this problem before?
Who makes caber plates or or kits for this car?

FYI Tanabe springs say it only lowers the car .8 but in actuality, its about 1.8 inches.
Old 12-29-09, 07:45 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Check out the fleaBay, there is someone selling adjustable tie rods by SKP. This maybe your best solution.

Also take your car to a old-school alignment shop and check out the your toe spec setting, because any kind of tire can suffer at 3-degrees camber without severe wearing. Incorrect toe setting does much more damage than camber wear.
Old 12-29-09, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

agree, toe setting is very important

i don't think there is camber anything for this car?
Old 12-29-09, 09:11 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL..camber woes. No love for LS/GS camber kits. Whats the deal w that. Toe will only do so much, need a vendor to take a chance and make a kit.
Old 12-31-09, 08:49 PM
JWC6
Driver School Candidate

I believe JIC Magic coilovers have the proper setup with a pillowball upper mount VIP FLT-TAR UCF40FLTA2VIP. Per Cyrus at JC Auto House, my camber is -1.6, which in his experience is not too big a deal since I am on stock 18 inch wheels and tires
Old 01-04-10, 10:30 AM
rz_racer
Driver

I recently put NF210 on car as well, but I have 21X10.5 in the rear.

I went to Johnsons Alignment in Torrance where they do alignments by hand and they 'said' they were able to set the my camber to -2.6 and they couldn't go any further....

They also checked my toe and said it was way off and they fixed it...

Cool thing is they wanted me to sit in the car when they were making the final adjustments to the toe. I guess to take into account my body weight when making the final adjustments...

I will keep an eye on the tread after 3-5000 miles and look for wear and flip if necessary.

the tech mentioned to me on his test drive that the car is 'bottoming out to the stops only on "severe" bumps', so they were suggesting 'maybe looking into some Bilstein struts in the future, but in general the car rides good'. I myself have never felt any of this. The car now has 92k miles with OEM struts, so there maybe a start of weakness in the struts, so I will keep it in mind. But I drove it to work today and its great. Does anybody even make aftermarket strut/shocks for the LS460? Not coilovers, just struts....

thanks guys
Old 01-04-10, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nothing that i know of
Old 01-04-10, 12:22 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

wow sounds like you do some serious driving to have 92K already! Hopefully they will have a camber kit soon for our cars..

Originally Posted by rz_racer
I recently put NF210 on car as well, but I have 21X10.5 in the rear.

I went to Johnsons Alignment in Torrance where they do alignments by hand and they 'said' they were able to set the my camber to -2.6 and they couldn't go any further....

They also checked my toe and said it was way off and they fixed it...

Cool thing is they wanted me to sit in the car when they were making the final adjustments to the toe. I guess to take into account my body weight when making the final adjustments...

I will keep an eye on the tread after 3-5000 miles and look for wear and flip if necessary.

the tech mentioned to me on his test drive that the car is 'bottoming out to the stops only on "severe" bumps', so they were suggesting 'maybe looking into some Bilstein struts in the future, but in general the car rides good'. I myself have never felt any of this. The car now has 92k miles with OEM struts, so there maybe a start of weakness in the struts, so I will keep it in mind. But I drove it to work today and its great. Does anybody even make aftermarket strut/shocks for the LS460? Not coilovers, just struts....

thanks guys
Old 07-25-10, 09:01 AM
ssd
Driver School Candidate

Default camber

my lexus was fine as were fine in this regard both as to alignment and tire wear, until 2008 ls460. my tires are shot at 15000 miles
this car was aligned 2x but it ddi not stop the driving to the right
a new dealer mechanic -shifted the sub frame at $300- the car now drives
straight. simple- How do they make a 67000 car without an adjutable camber or instructions about what to? I guess for another $5- to the cost I would have gotten instructions
Old 07-25-10, 02:39 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssd
my lexus was fine as were fine in this regard both as to alignment and tire wear, until 2008 ls460. my tires are shot at 15000 miles
straight. simple- How do they make a 67000 car without an adjutable camber or instructions about what to? I guess for another $5- to the cost I would have gotten instructions
Could you give more info on "shifted a sub frame"?
I have a same problem as ppl have described above, except I did not replace any spring or have doen anything with my suspension. Dealer tells me that there is nothing they can do, but I really hate replacing tires at 14K miles on the clock.
Old 07-26-10, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ssd
answer to first part of the question is, because the camber is simply not adjustable, so there is no instruction for it

second part, look at the previous lexus with adjustable camber and it's the other way, people complaining about alignment easily knocked out of place (including camber). not saying either way is better

third part, if you have significant inside wear, then maybe the toe setting is not ideal (adjustable)
Old 07-27-10, 10:24 AM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

there r replacement brackets that can b ordered from lexus...your alignment shop should know the part number to order...that'll give ya more positive camber....i had same problem as yours except i had awesome shop do my alignment and balancing and found this out for me....costs me arm and leg but they're worth it!...btw...expect to pay for the brackets...iirc, they costs me ~$300 for the parts!!
Old 07-27-10, 10:27 AM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

btw, henessy lexus wouldn't even touch the car when i had the wheels put on...glad they didn't tho as i wouldn't have found this awesome shop to have work on my car! (GranTurismo in GA, btw)

Quick Reply: Camber adjustment LS460