LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 07:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My appt is tomorrow at noon. Three hour job. I'll let y'all know what they installed and take a pic.
Old 03-15-14, 03:42 PM
mariuszr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
What brand is the windshield?
Safelite glass or another brand installed by Safelite.
Windshield brand is PILKINGTON.
Old 03-15-14, 03:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mariuszr
Windshield brand is PILKINGTON.
Good aftermarket brand.
Old 03-15-14, 05:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I took my car in, left it, got my car rental (courtesy of the insurance co) and drove away for what I expected to be three hours. An hour later, the shop called and said that hey ran into a snag. Apparently, the windshield may have been replaced or removed prior to my ownership and whoever did the work before, broke several of the clips thet hold down the roof moulding that runs down the roofline. He said they would have to order the clips and that I'd have to reschedule. He says they may have been able to get away with epoxying or making do with the broken clips (as the car has been til now), but he says the car is so nice and knows how I feel about the work that he wants to do it right. So it goes back Tuesday.

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-15-14 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 09:05 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd be very careful of that shop. If the clips had been damaged from a prior replacement, wouldn't the roof molding been loose or at least caused wind noise or some indication that they were broken? My guess is the shop broke them during removal. Make sure they replace the molding with an OEM piece and that it looks perfect before you accept the car. If they even thought of putting in the new windshield using the broken clips or epoxing it in place is unthinkable of a decent shop, and even mentioning such a thing to a customer is a warning sign.
Old 03-16-14, 09:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I'd be very careful of that shop. If the clips had been damaged from a prior replacement, wouldn't the roof molding been loose or at least caused wind noise or some indication that they were broken? My guess is the shop broke them during removal. Make sure they replace the molding with an OEM piece and that it looks perfect before you accept the car. If they even thought of putting in the new windshield using the broken clips or epoxing it in place is unthinkable of a decent shop, and even mentioning such a thing to a customer is a warning sign.
That's what they're doing (replacing all the clips). Only a couple were broken apparently, but they did not want to continue to find out if more were. They are even paying for my rental car when I bring it back. Speedy Glass is the only shop that is recommended by Lexus and Toyota in my area. They are a HUGE company and well established and reputed. There's hundreds of them across Canada and it's the only one my insurance company recommended as well. Either way, my insurance company warrants the work as long as I own my car. I would have preferred that Lexus do the work, but as I stated earlier, they unfortunately do not.
Old 03-16-14, 08:48 PM
thegov3
Driver

Had a quote last month of $1200 from Safelite last month. I have $1000 deductible. I would have had to cough up the deductible if I wanted the new glass. Instead decided to repair the quarter size chip. It is not noticeable anymore unless you are looking for it. Plus, it is not in the sightline. My insurance paid for 100% of the repair (farm bureau). Not ideal, but it worked.
Old 03-16-14, 09:20 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

Originally Posted by thegov3
Had a quote last month of $1200 from Safelite last month. I have $1000 deductible. I would have had to cough up the deductible if I wanted the new glass. Instead decided to repair the quarter size chip. It is not noticeable anymore unless you are looking for it. Plus, it is not in the sightline. My insurance paid for 100% of the repair (farm bureau). Not ideal, but it worked.
can't you upgrade your COMP. to a lower deductible?
Old 03-17-14, 08:38 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

You have to be careful with how your glass breakage is handled in your insurance policy. My insurance gave me "free" glass coverage a year ago or so. Without me knowing it, that meant that they were "free" to only to limit the maximum payment they would approve to a glass installer as around $300. This meant the installer was forced to purchase low quality glass that cost him approximately $100. There was no way to get a Lexus OEM glass unless I paid everything in excess of $300. As I quired them in an effort to get OEM glass, they told me that if I was involved in an accident and the glass was broken, their glass policy covered the replacement separately from comprehensive coverage!

Seems this system was set up by Safelite. When I called my insurance company (at the number on the back of my card) Safelite answered the call. They have a contract with many insurance companies to administer glass breakage. They then limit everyone to cheap glass and refuse to even consider OEM glass. When you try to actually talk to your insurance company, Safelite refuses to give the phone number, saying they will pass your request to them and get back. The answr back, is or course, that you have been denied. This has forced all the glass distributors to buy and stock cheap Chinese glass. They basically moved most of the glass manufacturing to China and the US public has little recourse to quality OEM glass.
Old 03-18-14, 06:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

There was no way to get a Lexus OEM glass
\

When I talked to Lexus, I was told you can't even get a factory windshield anymore.
Old 03-18-14, 06:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
\

When I talked to Lexus, I was told you can't even get a factory windshield anymore.

Sewell is showing two oem windshields for an '08 LS.
Could be Sewell hasn't updated their part lists.

56111 5610150511
GLASS, WINDSHIELD EHL, T=5.48, GREEN, W/ HEATED WINDSHIELD W/ RAIN SENSING WIPERS 01 Ships 24-48 hrs $1936.80 $1659.12 $1181.45 CL discount
56111 5610150531
GLASS, WINDSHIELD EHL, T=5.48, GREEN, SIDE GLASS-LAMINATED WATER REPELLED W/ HEATED WINDSHIELD 01 Ships 24-48 hrs $2057.94 $1762.89 $1255.34 CL Discount

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S460-2008.html

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-18-14 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-18-14, 06:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe they just have a stockpile. Interesting.
Old 03-18-14, 09:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Lexus no longer making windshields available sounds a bit strange. Lexus won't CPO a car that doesn't have an OEM windshield. What's that tell you about what they think about the OEM windshield quality? Not to make that available to customers is absurd to me.
Old 03-20-14, 08:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Update.

I have an appt for Saturday. When they called to book me in, I asked what brand the windshield is. She said she was unsure, but that she'd check andlet me know. An hour later, she called and advised that the windshield says Lexus on it! Bizarre after the info was provided by the Lexus dealer. I also didn't expect the insurance company to foot the extra $$ for a factory windshield.
Old 03-21-14, 09:00 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Update.

I have an appt for Saturday. When they called to book me in, I asked what brand the windshield is. She said she was unsure, but that she'd check andlet me know. An hour later, she called and advised that the windshield says Lexus on it! Bizarre after the info was provided by the Lexus dealer. I also didn't expect the insurance company to foot the extra $$ for a factory windshield.
The OEM windshield will have, ASAHI and DOT-20 on it. ASAHI is the OEM manufacturer and DOT-20 signifies the location of manufacturer. You should see these markings on your current windshield.

I'd look at the windshield before they install if you want to make sure it's an OEM.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement