LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 04:38 PM
1_NOIR_GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull the trigger?

Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted here on CL mostly because I got into a bad car accident in my GS430 (rollover), but I'm okay, walked away with nothing but a brused hand (thank god). So USAA Insurance took care of everything and I must say, as bad as the wreck was, they were the best!

So now onto the question, I have been waiting quitely to find the right car, at the right price as I'm not in a rush because I have another little beater car to get around/back and fourth to work with. I wasn't really looking for an LS but I ran across a deal that's almost unreal and was wondering if I should pull the trigger. It's a 07 LS460, white on tan, 20,000 miles, the car has been repaired as the rear bumper was scratched really bad from a shopping cart so the dealer just replaced with a new $900 bumper and has the paper work to prove. Only down fall with that is the fact the it was reported so it shows up on the car fax. Now here it the biggie.............it has NO NAV, I already know that sucks because my GS that I had was fully loaded, but I think I could live with it. Other then that, the car is flawless inside and out, one owner (must have been an old lady) Price $30,000............honestly, what do you guys think?
Old 02-10-09, 04:45 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can live w/o NAV you should. I haven't check the KBB price for this, but with the facts provided, $30K is a great deal to me. That is for sure a one rare LS460.
Old 02-10-09, 05:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the price might be attractive, but with the "rare" setup of no nav, also keep in mind the day you sell the car it's going to be that much harder

check kbb and edmunds to see what the price should be.
Old 02-10-09, 06:59 PM
allklr
Pole Position

No way without the NAV, Especially on resale
Old 02-10-09, 07:02 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Pull the trigger.

If you say you can live w/o the nav, that is one heck of a deal.
Old 02-10-09, 07:14 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure it was hit by a shopping cart and nothing else?
I'd never take the word of the person who's selling the car because they just want to unload it.
How many times have you seen a shopping cart cause so much damage that the bumper had to be replaced?
Old 02-10-09, 07:30 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1_NOIR_GS
Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted here on CL mostly because I got into a bad car accident in my GS430 (rollover), but I'm okay, walked away with nothing but a brused hand (thank god). So USAA Insurance took care of everything and I must say, as bad as the wreck was, they were the best!

So now onto the question, I have been waiting quitely to find the right car, at the right price as I'm not in a rush because I have another little beater car to get around/back and fourth to work with. I wasn't really looking for an LS but I ran across a deal that's almost unreal and was wondering if I should pull the trigger. It's a 07 LS460, white on tan, 20,000 miles, the car has been repaired as the rear bumper was scratched really bad from a shopping cart so the dealer just replaced with a new $900 bumper and has the paper work to prove. Only down fall with that is the fact the it was reported so it shows up on the car fax. Now here it the biggie.............it has NO NAV, I already know that sucks because my GS that I had was fully loaded, but I think I could live with it. Other then that, the car is flawless inside and out, one owner (must have been an old lady) Price $30,000............honestly, what do you guys think?
I wouldn't let the fact that the car has no NAV stop me from purchasing.

You're buying the car used, and at an apparently great price. I would think if you plan on driving the car for 5 or 6 years, the impact of no NAV on resale would be negligible overall. The bigger question is, are you okay owning an LS without it.

I have NAV on mine, but I must say, it was probably the biggest waste of money in the purchase price. I rarely use it.

For $30k you're getting a great car...assuming there's no hidden damage from the "shopping cart" episode.
Old 02-10-09, 07:43 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you really want nav buy a garmin for a couple hundred bucks.
The Garmin is better than the factory nav anyway.
Old 02-10-09, 08:51 PM
1_NOIR_GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
are you sure it was hit by a shopping cart and nothing else?
I'd never take the word of the person who's selling the car because they just want to unload it.
How many times have you seen a shopping cart cause so much damage that the bumper had to be replaced?
I do see your point here, The only thing I could come up with is.....it might have been more cost effective to just replace the bumper as oppose to paying for paint and labor and then running the risk of it not being a perfect match to the rest of the car, if the painter didnt re-spray the entire bumper....the car is being sold from a Jaguar dealership.

Last edited by 1_NOIR_GS; 02-10-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 11:50 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_NOIR_GS
I do see your point here, The only thing I could come up with is.....it might have been more cost effective to just replace the bumper as oppose to paying for paint and labor and then running the risk of it not being a perfect match to the rest of the car, if the painter didnt re-spray the entire bumper....the car is being sold from a Jaguar dealership.
I understand what you’re saying, but from what I know any bumper that is sold by Lexus is not painted, well at least not here in the US.
So even if they were to buy a new bumper they would need to paint the whole thing anyway. so no matter what, they would have to repaint that bumper, and match it to the rest of the car. Dealers will try to spend the least amount of money possible in order to make the car presentable. They won’t go out and buy a whole new front bumper unless it is essential.

The way I see it is that the car was involved in some sort of accident that made it show up on carfax. The damages might have been fairly superficial, but I'd feel better off knowing everything about a car that I'm considering buying.
Old 02-11-09, 09:16 AM
3alwi
Rookie

i think a seller may lie to sell a car

not mentioning W/O Nav which makes it harder for him to sell it
Old 02-11-09, 02:18 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

The more I think of it , that price seems too good to be true. You might want to dig a little deeper before you pull that trigger.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 02-12-09 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 03:49 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

I would have an indy body shop look around that car. I bought at 06 BMW outside a BMW dealer for a great price then had nothing but problems with the car. In selling the car I found out that the hood and both driver's side doors had been repainted. Expensive lesson learned.
Old 02-12-09, 02:44 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$30k is WAY too to be true. Someone is lying. That car must have been in a major accident. This car books for close to $50k.
Old 02-18-09, 07:54 AM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that you should give the name of thee Jag dealer, I would be happy to "test" drive the car. And maybe see if my check for $30k would clear.... Not a fan of the Nav system anyway. and a LS460 by any other price is still a LS460...

I love my Garmins. But wife likes the extra big lexus screen

Quick Reply: Pull the trigger?