LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 swb brake issues after fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 12:46 PM
CharSu
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2007 swb brake issues after fluid flush

Hi all,

I had an independent shop flush my brake fluid last Thursday. I started hearing this squish sound and slight initial hesitation when i depress the brake pedal, but no dash lights. I brought the car back to the shop and the guy is saying that my car is throwing code C1345, and that linear solenoid calibration is failing. Now I'm worried that my hardware need replacing, especially the actuator. Is this a dormant issue that has somehow surfaced because of the flush or did he mess up?

Thanks
Old 01-15-20, 04:13 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by CharSu
Hi all,

I had an independent shop flush my brake fluid last Thursday. I started hearing this squish sound and slight initial hesitation when i depress the brake pedal, but no dash lights. I brought the car back to the shop and the guy is saying that my car is throwing code C1345, and that linear solenoid calibration is failing. Now I'm worried that my hardware need replacing, especially the actuator. Is this a dormant issue that has somehow surfaced because of the flush or did he mess up?

Thanks
The rech just needs to perform the procedure properly with Techstream.

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-messages.html
The following users liked this post:
CharSu (01-16-20)
Old 01-15-20, 05:51 PM
CharSu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
The rech just needs to perform the procedure properly with Techstream.

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-messages.html
Thanks for this! The guy is keeping the car overnight so hopefully he'll figure it out. I found that thread earlier and was hoping that's the problem. I'll point him to the procedure you provided in case issues continue.
Old 01-15-20, 10:19 PM
CharSu
Driver School Candidate

Update: the guy called and said that my actuator needs to be replaced. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to see if clearing the code through techstream works.

My question still stands: could something have gone wrong when he flushed my brake fluid?
Old 01-16-20, 08:14 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Update: the guy called and said that my actuator needs to be replaced. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to see if clearing the code through techstream works.

My question still stands: could something have gone wrong when he flushed my brake fluid?
Be aware that there is a Lexus extended warranty on these actuators but I believe it's 10 years from original purchase date, eliminating your '07. However, check with dealer as you never know. This part is quite expensive. Mine ('11 LS) was just replaced under this special warranty and I was advised it was normally a $5k job. Good luck.
CharSu (01-17-20)
Old 01-16-20, 11:36 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Anything is possible but if it was giving no signs of failing and you had no codes before the flush then I would say something was not done correctly during or after the flush. This is one of the main reasons why the FSM tells you to disconnect the negative cable before performing work on the brake system. I would tell them to disconnect the battery long enough to reset the system totally and then perform the procedure in that thread I linked.

Last edited by sha4000; 01-16-20 at 08:05 PM.
CharSu (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 11:55 AM
CharSu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
I would tell them to disconnect the battery long enough to reset the system totally and then perform the procedure in that thread I linked.
the guy is saying that the accumulator and pump assembly needs to be replaced as well. I told him to put the car on a level surface and disconnect the negative terminal until i get there late afternoon. If i can't clear the codes myself then I'm most likely going to tow it to a dealer to get diagnosed.

Edit: apparently it's also throwing a C1256.

Last edited by CharSu; 01-16-20 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 03:20 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

the guy is saying that the accumulator and pump assembly needs to be replaced as well. I told him to put the car on a level surface and disconnect the negative terminal until i get there late afternoon. If i can't clear the codes myself then I'm most likely going to tow it to a dealer to get diagnosed.

Edit: apparently it's also throwing a C1256.
----
​​​​​​Hi, CharSu. Just read your PM. A question:
How did the technician bleed your brake system? That is, did he use Techstream and did he follow Lexus/Toyota brake maintenance procedure to bleed your brake system?
If he used the universal procedure (i.e., manual brake bleeding) without the use of Techstream, most likely your hardware (your brake accumulator and pump assembly) is still good. There is just air in your brake system caused by the non-Lexus bleeding process. You can use the link that sha4000 advised you to re-set the brake system. After you have reset/restored the brake system, you need to bleed your brake system with Techstream to purge any air in the brake system caused by the universal/conventional bleed process.
----
The following 2 users liked this post by yyymmm31:
CharSu (01-16-20), sha4000 (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 03:48 PM
CharSu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
----
​​​​​​Hi, CharSu. Just read your PM. A question:
How did the technician bleed your brake system? That is, did he use Techstream and did he follow Lexus/Toyota brake maintenance procedure to bleed your brake system?
----
he was running techstream while working on my car, but I'll ask him directly when i get there. In case he was using proper Lexus procedure, would these codes indicate hardware failure?

He quoted me 3500 for the parts plus 550 for labor, which i feel is a bit high for an independent shop. I called a local Lexus dealer and their quote was 4k. I'm going to ask if i can bring my own parts in to potentially save some money if troubleshooting fails.

Thank you so much for your time and attention.
Old 01-16-20, 04:33 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

he was running techstream while working on my car, but I'll ask him directly when i get there. In case he was using proper Lexus procedure, would these codes indicate hardware failure?

He quoted me 3500 for the parts plus 550 for labor, which i feel is a bit high for an independent shop. I called a local Lexus dealer and their quote was 4k. I'm going to ask if i can bring my own parts in to potentially save some money if troubleshooting fails.

Thank you so much for your time and attention.
-------
Code 1345 could indicate two things: (1) the bleeding process was not completed (stopped before the brake system memory was reset and the Linear Valve Offset Calibration was not run), or (2) the brake hardware has loose connections. Before rushing to replace the brake accumulator/pump assembly, I'd try to determine the cause for C1345. Could you reset the brake system memory and run the linear valve offset calibration (i.e., calibrate the brake system to zero) by using the procedure that sha4000 suggested above? This procedure will restore your brake system. After you have reset the brake memory and calibrated the brake system, the brake may still feel soft but C1345 code should be eliminated. Then, you may properly bleed your brake system (i.e., get rid of the softness of the brake and the noise). Additionally, check if there are disconnected wiring/tubes around the brake accumulator/pump unit. In particular, check if the two black electric connectors to the accumulator are securely connected (on the driver side of the engine bay, close to the firewall). You may ask your technician if your car battery ran out during his bleeding process (assuming he used Lexus brake bleeding procedure, which uses a lot of battery power). If your battery died in the middle of bleeding the brake system, you would get a code or two related to brake system. As for the cost of the brake accumulator, Longo Lexus online parts website lists it for about $1300 (part number 44050-50170 which replaces 44050-50130). However, one of the CL member reported that his dealer used part number 04003-45450, which is about $200 less than part number 44050-50170. In any case, make sure that your brake accumulator/pump assembly is indeed bad before replacing it.
------
CharSu (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 04:44 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I'm with Sha4000. If there was no indication of problems before the fluid change...something was done incorrectly. Taking it to the Lexus dealer if you can't clear the code is a safer move. A couple of rhetorical questions: Why did he give you a car with squishy brakes he just serviced? How much does he know about Lexus, how much work he's done previously for you on this car? Things can break during simple services, even at a Lexus dealer. Hope it's just the codes.
BTW, transmission fluid changes are another area where serious damage can be done. If you're contemplating one, do a thorough search here first!!
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
CharSu (01-16-20), sha4000 (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 08:14 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
-------
Code 1345 could indicate two things: (1) the bleeding process was not completed (stopped before the brake system memory was reset and the Linear Valve Offset Calibration was not run), or (2) the brake hardware has loose connections. Before rushing to replace the brake accumulator/pump assembly, I'd try to determine the cause for C1345. Could you reset the brake system memory and run the linear valve offset calibration (i.e., calibrate the brake system to zero) by using the procedure that sha4000 suggested above? This procedure will restore your brake system. After you have reset the brake memory and calibrated the brake system, the brake may still feel soft but C1345 code should be eliminated. Then, you may properly bleed your brake system (i.e., get rid of the softness of the brake and the noise). Additionally, check if there are disconnected wiring/tubes around the brake accumulator/pump unit. In particular, check if the two black electric connectors to the accumulator are securely connected (on the driver side of the engine bay, close to the firewall). You may ask your technician if your car battery ran out during his bleeding process (assuming he used Lexus brake bleeding procedure, which uses a lot of battery power). If your battery died in the middle of bleeding the brake system, you would get a code or two related to brake system. As for the cost of the brake accumulator, Longo Lexus online parts website lists it for about $1300 (part number 44050-50170 which replaces 44050-50130). However, one of the CL member reported that his dealer used part number 04003-45450, which is about $200 less than part number 44050-50170. In any case, make sure that your brake accumulator/pump assembly is indeed bad before replacing it.
------
Your thread really saved me when I was doing my lower control arms. I turned the car on several times while the calipers where hanging and pumped the brakes while trying to get the pads to lineup with the rotors. My dash was lit up like a christmas tree and I was stuck when I tried to just clear the codes in techstream. I found your thread which enabled me to clear all the codes. Anyway I was also wondering if his battery died during the bleeding process.
The following 2 users liked this post by sha4000:
CharSu (01-17-20), yyymmm31 (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 11:05 PM
CharSu
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the pointers. I truly appreciate the help.

So i got to the shop and found out that he, in fact, did not perform the flush with techstream. He used the snap on alternative with manual bleeding for the front brakes and then the snap on tool bleeding for the rears. He only borrowed the techstream yesterday from a friend to run tests. I couldn't follow the recommended procedure because he had returned the techstream to his friend.

I'm towing it to a nearby dealership tomorrow for full diagnostics and bleeding for 480. Hopefully the problem goes away, but I'm prepared for the worst. I found 47070-50040 (pump assembly) for $850 and 04003-45450 (actuator) for a little over $1100. I know the dealership will likely refuse me bringing my own parts, even if they are genuine Lexus parts, so I will be calling around for quotes for the install tomorrow, just in case.

It's really difficult to communicate effectively with him because of his heavy accent, but it comes down to him insisting that the problem is just a coincidence and that he has done all he can. i really regret taking my car to his shop, but he is highly recommended within the clublexus southern California subforum. It's partly my fault for not asking about techstream explicitly. I'm also incredibly paranoid about my transmission now since i did a drain and fill with him the same day he did my brake flush.
Old 01-17-20, 09:43 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Thank you all for the pointers. I truly appreciate the help.

So i got to the shop and found out that he, in fact, did not perform the flush with techstream. He used the snap on alternative with manual bleeding for the front brakes and then the snap on tool bleeding for the rears. He only borrowed the techstream yesterday from a friend to run tests. I couldn't follow the recommended procedure because he had returned the techstream to his friend.

I'm towing it to a nearby dealership tomorrow for full diagnostics and bleeding for 480. Hopefully the problem goes away, but I'm prepared for the worst. I found 47070-50040 (pump assembly) for $850 and 04003-45450 (actuator) for a little over $1100. I know the dealership will likely refuse me bringing my own parts, even if they are genuine Lexus parts, so I will be calling around for quotes for the install tomorrow, just in case.

It's really difficult to communicate effectively with him because of his heavy accent, but it comes down to him insisting that the problem is just a coincidence and that he has done all he can. i really regret taking my car to his shop, but he is highly recommended within the clublexus southern California subforum. It's partly my fault for not asking about techstream explicitly. I'm also incredibly paranoid about my transmission now since i did a drain and fill with him the same day he did my brake flush.
----
Based on your description of what the technician did, most likely your brake hardware (accumulator/pump assembly) is still good. It looks that the technician somehow let the air into your brake system during his attempt to bleed your brake system without using Lexus LS460 bleeding procedure and without Techstream. If you haven't done so, you should first of all stop him from poking around with Techstream on your car. Since he is not familiar with Techstream, he may accidentally change some settings on your car with Techstream, which could be difficult to trouble-shoot afterwards. Next, restore your brake system by performing the procedure to reset brake memory and calibrate the linear valve offset (see the link in sha0000 posting), which is a relatively simple process and can be done without physically touching the brake hardware (just connect Techstream to your car and perform the procedure on the computer screen). Thirdly, do a proper brake bleed process with Techstream (you need 2 bottles of 32 oz DOT3 brake fluid at $15). After that, you should have a working brake system. As for the transmission fluid drain and fill your technician performed, because he didn't have Techstream, most likely he didn't check your transmission fluid level at Lexus recommended temperature (at 95-108F or 35-42C), which could result in either more fluid or less fluid in your transmission. You'll need to check your transmission fluid level with Techstream and add or release transmission fluid accordingly. You don't need to take your car to the dealer (which causes you $$$). You need to find a shop that specialized in Lexus/Toyota cars. Shops specialized in Lexus/Toyota cars use Techstream since Techsteam is a must-have tool to service Lexus/Toyota cars. There are quite a few such shops in in southern CA, e.g., Luxury Motorworks 626/256-4849 (I have no association what so ever with them but spoke with one of their techs when I dealt with the transmission fluid leaking into my cooling system problem on my LS460. Steve Larkin of Lexury Motorworks offered solid advice on repairing my cooling and transmission problem, free of charge).
----
The following 2 users liked this post by yyymmm31:
CharSu (01-17-20), sha4000 (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 02:05 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I would just tell the dealership that the shop bled the brakes incorrectly which resulted in all the lights on the dash. The first thing they will go to is the actuator so make sure you let them know that it was working perfectly fine before that and ALL you want them to do is clear the lights and bleed the system.

Last edited by sha4000; 01-18-20 at 06:35 AM.
CharSu (01-17-20)

Quick Reply: 2007 swb brake issues after fluid flush