LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

US perception of luxury LS vs S-Class

Old 08-31-08, 11:27 AM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the former MB owners (like me) who switched to Lexus. What helped pursuade me to buy my first LS400 in 1990 (second year of production) was seeing people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who could buy anything, buy an LS400 - for the luxury and technology and the combined value for money. In less than 20 years we now hear the phrase 'the Lexus of..." meaning the very best of that product. When I was growing up we used to say "the Cadillac of ...). Interestingly, Toyota was aiming at MB and Cadillac with their new Lexus, as was Nissan with their Infiniti and slightly earlier, Honda with their Acura. Only Lexus succeeded. I think that MB and to a lesser degree BMW were really hurt in terms of quality control after the German reunification in the early 90's. It has taken them a long time to recover. Like all GM cars, Cadillac had major QC issues also. This made the job of Lexus to gain market share a lot easier.
Old 08-31-08, 11:43 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

S-Classes are pretty common here in SoCal... heck, it seems half the Orange County girls under 25 drive C-Classes (undoubtedly leased or paid for by daddy) so the star isn't all that special.

The only reasons someone would choose the S-Class are undoubtedly driven by perceived status and/or ego.
Old 08-31-08, 11:49 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
...Look how many former Loyal MB buyers now buy Lexus...
I've owned many Mercedes, and one of the appeals of the Lexus when I bought the LS600 was that it didn't initially define me at first glance as a high-end consumer. I thought the body shape was anonymous and slightly ordinary looking - though attractive enough.

I like the shape and road presence of the S-Classes much more, but was happy to take advantage of all the LS600 internal stuff as a driver.

However the more I look at the LS600, the more I think it has that defining look of quality in the the body shape. Like all cars it will probably look dated in 10 years, but in the meantime it still is a good looker.

I hoped I might remain anonymous on the roads, but it gets quite a few looks from other road users. I forget how much presence this beauty actually has.

My daughter - who is not a car buff - was driving past me in the city the other day, and thought to herself that was a nice looking car she had passed...only to realize in the next moment that it was me. So much for anonymity!

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded-and missed)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (summer garage queen)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wifes)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)
Old 08-31-08, 11:44 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

I can't pretend that I know what others consider more prestigious. I can only say that I'd buy the LS600 if I was looking for a similar car, which I consider a more 'prestigious' and better car. Saying this having experienced Mercedes S-klasse, Audi A8 and BMW7s. The choice of LS460 vs A8 or S-klasse would not be as straightforward though.
Old 09-01-08, 01:24 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Prestige is a function of your pocketbook.

Warren Buffet has a net worth of $62 billion and drives around in a $40,000 (then) 2001 Lincoln town car.

The car doesn't make the man; it's the other way around.

I wouldn't consider myself with a little under one ten thousandth of his net worth in a $70,000 car to be of higher prestige than Buffet. I really respect that man. His philanthropy is of the highest caliber.

In the past I had a Mercedes Benz, and it's a great car. Unfortunately, I ended up paying $25,000 in maintenance on it over a period of 10 years, and I did not feel like the cost of maintenance plus what I originally paid were justified by the car itself.

I've had the LS for a little over a year now, and I've been just thrilled with the car.
Old 09-01-08, 10:54 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think there's any question that the S is considered more prestigious. I think its a function of its history, price and public perception. The same reason a Rolls Royce or Bentley will be considered more prestigious than an S.
I agree totally. I had a Mercedes and never had a comment on it. You could tell people and acquaintances held the "brand" in high esteem. When I sold it and switched to the LS, many people commented on my "Jap car" and called it a "glorified Toyota." Not surprisingly, the LS was a much better car in all other respects.
Old 09-01-08, 05:00 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Saturday afternoon we went to a Mercedes AMG Performance Event. It was like the Taste Of Lexus Event we attended last fall. Although Lexus had much better food!

One thing I learned that really did impress me was all AMG engines are hand built by one individual. It is similiar to my Harley Davidson Deuce which was built by HD's Custom Vehicle Operations. Rather than go down an assembly line where dozens of people attach some part, in the CVO only 3 senior builders put the entire bike together. They sign off on it just as the AMG engine builder signs off on his engine.

I love the pride in craftmanship!
Old 09-01-08, 08:40 PM
tom2517
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Prestige is a function of your pocketbook.

Warren Buffet has a net worth of $62 billion and drives around in a $40,000 (then) 2001 Lincoln town car.

The car doesn't make the man; it's the other way around.
I don't disagree with you, but you are talking about one in a million. For most people, driving a nice car does improve one's social status.
Old 09-01-08, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Saturday afternoon we went to a Mercedes AMG Performance Event. It was like the Taste Of Lexus Event we attended last fall. Although Lexus had much better food!

One thing I learned that really did impress me was all AMG engines are hand built by one individual. It is similiar to my Harley Davidson Deuce which was built by HD's Custom Vehicle Operations. Rather than go down an assembly line where dozens of people attach some part, in the CVO only 3 senior builders put the entire bike together. They sign off on it just as the AMG engine builder signs off on his engine.

I love the pride in craftmanship!
yup, that's why if i own a mb, more than likely it will be amg. at least i know the engine is probably better built.
Old 09-01-08, 10:53 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

yea AMG is a diff story, those cars are insane, I dont like MB, but ill take an AMG over most cars today. Its the original Sleeper
Old 09-02-08, 08:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tom2517
I don't disagree with you, but you are talking about one in a million. For most people, driving a nice car does improve one's social status.
To who ? To the people that already know you ? Like relatives & close friends? They should know your social status quite well already without looking at the car you drive.(they know your profession, the kind of house you have, among other things)

As for those who don't know you, like those that look at your car on the road, they probably don't care.
From my experience, when people look at cars on the road, they are looking at/admiring THE CAR, not the driver/occupants, unless it's somebody they already know and recognize that they can see inside, which is not always the case(especially with tinted windows).
Anyway, they may be admiring the car, but they won't remember a thing about the driver/occupants within a couple minutes.

So how does that improve your social status significantly ?
IMHO, it's mostly in one's own head .....
Old 09-02-08, 10:14 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ndk83
So what are u saying? One simlpe fatal flaw with the L- equation, cause basically ur saying go buy a hyundai! I feel nowadays that the Lex is falling into the V equation more these days
ditto. 99% of the ppl on this board bought a Lex for the image, plz don't even kid yourself.
Old 09-02-08, 03:00 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by tom2517
...For most people, driving a nice car does improve one's social status.
Well, I look at it another way. You expect to see a teenager in a beat-up old jalopy or a JapCrap. When you see a teen in a Mercedes or any modern nice car, you think he's driving his parent''s car.

When you see an elderly driver in an old beater, you wonder why he/she is so poor. Surely after a lifetime of saving and working they could afford something better?

I once saw a former local captain of industry driving a Mazda MX5 - with the top down. To me, that said he's driving his wife's car.

So it's not only social position that defines the driver, but an economic one as well. And if you're a banker watching your client for signs of wealth to invest, or why they have an overdraft at the limit, that's all good

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded-and missed)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (summer garage queen)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife's)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)