LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Might be buying a 2008 LS460 SWB Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 08:46 AM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Might be buying a 2008 LS460 SWB Questions!

Hey guys! Might be getting myself a 2008 LS460 SWB.
Question though, how can i tell if my car is a 2008 model, and not a 07? Reason is, i read in the archives of this forum, or a user who bought an 08 LS460 which was manufactured in 09/07.
I regret reading up on the car in this forum, as now im plagued with sensitivity about the wind noise. I will only get the car if its an 08!! How can i really tell its an 2008 model?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-08, 09:12 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Wind Noise

Some of the 08s are plagued with the "wind noise" problem too, and some of the 09s may have it too unless Lexus makes some changes. You should not let the wind noise issue concern you or bias your car selection, or waste your time trying to pick out one that doesn't have the problem. The fix is usually simple and inexpensive, although you might not be able to get a Lexus dealer to do it for you.

See the discussion at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=352398
Old 07-31-08, 09:21 AM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the prompt reply jmcraney. Yup i did read that posting about fixing the wind noise issue, however i thought that if i were to get a brand spanking new ls460, i might as well try my best to get one that hopefully... would not have that issue.

also, the reason for the 2008 model is that im hoping to get the Version 7.1 of the multi media interface system in the car?

Thanks again!
Old 07-31-08, 09:40 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um there are a few ways. Is this car new? You dont state. Just because a car was manufatured in 9/07 doesnt mean it wasnt an 08 model it could be an early production 08. To be an 08 model doesnt mean it has to be manufactured in 08. Keep in mind in the past Sept has been the beginning production date for the next MY for alot of manufacturers.

To answer your question, if the car is new check the sticker it will tell you what MY it is and other pertinent details. Also, if no sticker or used go to a Lexus dealer if it isnt at one and give them the VIN they will tell you. They can also tell you from the VIN what options are on the car if no sticker. Also with using the VIN pull a Carfax on the car that will also confirm. If you could decode the VIN yourself you would also know. I
Old 07-31-08, 09:41 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Wind Noise Concern

Some additional words of wisdom: There have been reports of cars developing the wind noise problem after months and miles even though they did not have it initially. Again, it is easy to fix most of the time if you are aware of the solution. If you have a problem like that you should try the triangle trim fix before you let them take your doors apart.
Old 07-31-08, 09:54 AM
garyr
Pole Position

I would get an 09 AWD.......... all problems soved. Also recomend the ML sound system.
Old 07-31-08, 11:12 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this '09 awd a sure-thing? I wonder if there will be any styling changes on the '09 models. Any links to pics?
Old 07-31-08, 11:42 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If the manual says it's an '09, then that is what you'll be getting. The wind noise problem is two-fold. On my SWB '07, I was getting wind noise from the top perimeter of the window, as it was not nesting properly in the seal when the window was closed. This noise was on both front side windows, and was noticed by my wife and I in the first month of ownership. The second noise is/was more elusive, and is the one that Lexus hasn't admitted to yet - the Jmcraney triangle noise; it is due to a defective door seal assembly in the mirror area, as well as a faulty mirror mount design which allows draft noises to buffet into the cabin. Because my ears are attuned to this, I heard the same draft noise on an otherwise very quiet LS600hL which I have been test driving the last two days. So it doesn't matter what model one buys, the buffeting will rear its ugly head eventually.

The Lexus TSIB fix, one that we assume has been implemented at the factory (?) is a good one, but the triangle noise also needs to be addressed. I suggest you bring a photo and details of Jmcraney's fix to your dealer and make it a condition of the sale. That will guarantee your car gets taken care of upfront, and should cause a ripple with Lexus, maintaining their awareness and urgency of the issue.
Old 07-31-08, 02:14 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The tenth character (number) in the 17 digit VIN number is the Model Year of the car, i.e., 7 = 2007, 8 = 2008, 9 = 2009, etc.
Old 07-31-08, 06:37 PM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

Wow guys! Thanks alot for the tips! (:
The LS460 SWB im looking at is new, however here in Singapore, they sell it quite differently. There are no stickers. Basically you just see the car, take it for a test drive, ask them about the features ... etc. Like it, you chose a color.. interior etc. Buy it.

So as for the last post, at least i can now compare the 10th digit of the vin number to see if my car was manufactured after 08. Especially since the LS460 here is actually quite rare. so far i have seen about 10-20 around? Just came back from CA and its more common over there. Which also explains why im worried that as the dealer needs to clear his stock, he wont order the fresh batch of 08s yet.

Lastly, i know i wrote the review of the LS460LWB with ML VS the S600. I just tested the S350, which in Singapore is the model that cost around the same as the LS460. Infact, a little more. Anyway, i'm now undecided. The Ls460 has ALOT more power, but the merc, the way it drives, plus i read that some of you guys feel that the S Class is quieter? And the whole reason why you buy a Lexus, is for comfort? And its actually noiser then an S CLASS?!?!

Anywayy thanks soo much for the advice!

If i buy the LS, it will be my first Lexus! ((:
Old 07-31-08, 06:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually the LS is quieter than an S-Class at cruising speed (according to technical data), provided that the wind noise issue is not present (check the vehicle). If there is wind noise, the TSIB/triangle fix should help.

There is at least one other LS 460 owner from Singapore on the board as well...
Old 07-31-08, 07:08 PM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

Hahah, i think here in Singapore, most people are buying the Mercedes S Class or BMW 730. They are the MOST common luxury sedans. One of the contributing factors, is that we have to pay road tax, and the higher the displacement of your engine, the more the government charges. Thus you have to pay about USD 3,703 a year for the LS. Guess this is one of the contributing factors why the Merc is more popular. However, it begs to wonder, why a 4,600CC Lexus, with more standard features, then a 3,500CC Mercedes, would cost less.

Due to the road taxing, and that most of these luxury cars are chauffeur driven, we now have an S300 Model, which more and more people are actually buying, basically you get the standard (or you can opt for the luxury) interior, but you just have a smaller engine. Supposedly it gives out 231bhp, and still comes standard with the 7G tronic.

I feel that the LS is better built, but i just do not understand how the Merc can cost more. It has a smaller engine, factory built just like the LS, its interior is not as luxurious, especially the leather.
Old 07-31-08, 08:23 PM
george1688
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joelkrh
Wow guys! Thanks alot for the tips! (:
The LS460 SWB im looking at is new, however here in Singapore, they sell it quite differently. There are no stickers. Basically you just see the car, take it for a test drive, ask them about the features ... etc. Like it, you chose a color.. interior etc. Buy it.

So as for the last post, at least i can now compare the 10th digit of the vin number to see if my car was manufactured after 08. Especially since the LS460 here is actually quite rare. so far i have seen about 10-20 around? Just came back from CA and its more common over there. Which also explains why im worried that as the dealer needs to clear his stock, he wont order the fresh batch of 08s yet.

Lastly, i know i wrote the review of the LS460LWB with ML VS the S600. I just tested the S350, which in Singapore is the model that cost around the same as the LS460. Infact, a little more. Anyway, i'm now undecided. The Ls460 has ALOT more power, but the merc, the way it drives, plus i read that some of you guys feel that the S Class is quieter? And the whole reason why you buy a Lexus, is for comfort? And its actually noiser then an S CLASS?!?!

Anywayy thanks soo much for the advice!

If i buy the LS, it will be my first Lexus! ((:
Hi, its great to see someone else from Singapore. I bought a LS460 SWB in March of 2008. Its a great car, its much quieter than the S350 I tested and much quieter than my relative's S500 (S550 in N. America) and in fact probably only 20% of these luxury cars are chauffeur driven. I highly doubt that the reason why people buy the S-Class over the LS460 is because of the status of driving a Mercedes in Asia and not because of the road tax because a difference of about SGD2000 (USD 1460) annually would not hurt the pockets of someone who can afford a USD 220,000 car. The reason why I bought a LS is because of its value, it has far more standard equipment like heated and cooled seats, rear side window sunshades, reverse camera, electronic trunk release and closure, ISOFIX latches for rear seats, rear cooler box, 4-zone climate control, rear seat audio controls, 8-Speed automatic gearbox, 18-inch rims, bi-xenon headlamps with AFS, front knee airbags, bluetooth interface for cell phones, air purifier and of course the reliability and service, the technician will pick up my car when its due for servicing for free while I have to pay SGD 50 for Mercedes, I know because I used to own an E-Class, but it also doesn't come with a sun roof and LWB that the S-Class have (u can opt for a LWB version but it only comes with the 4-seater version). In terms of price, the LS460 is comparable to the S300 NOT the S350. I suggest that u look for Theresa if u really want to buy it because she gave me discount of SGD30,000 on the car. I suggest that you add another SGD10,000 for the Mark Levinson sound system, the other option is the sun roof which cost SGD3,000 but if you can't take the 3 months wait, the standard version is good enough. The Mercedes costs more because its open market value (OMV) is high eg the OMV of the S300 is about the same as the LS460 SWB and FYI all the dealer stocks are 08s, I bought mine in March and its an 08, the easiest way to tell between an 08 and 07 is the aux input, the stereo system button of the cars with aux input is "Disc-AUX" instead of only "Disc"

Current Prices

LS460 SWB - $287,000
LS460 LWB - $351,000
LS600hL (5 Seater, after green rebate) - $369,229
LS600hL (4 Seater, after green rebate) - $412,274
S300L - $286,888
S350L - $320,888
S500L - $408,888
*all prices are in SGD

Last edited by george1688; 07-31-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 08:39 PM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for the great write up george. I actually PMed you a couple of days back! (:

When i test drove the LS, they told me that the S class sells better cause of the difference in the road tax. Yes i know the LS comes with more standard features, which would be options on the Merc, which is whats bothering me. How can the Lexus, with a better engine, more features, like the ones you mentioned above, cost LESS than an S300. V6 engine with only 231hp, and options that you have to PAY for.

Nevertheless, i agree with you that the LS seems like the better way forward. Just needed some input. So anyway i read in your previous post that you had issues with the wind noise? and Borneo's LS460 are ALL 2008 models? Oh dear...
Old 07-31-08, 09:05 PM
george1688
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't consider as wind noise, I feel that I am just complaining because I expected the LS460 to be like the quietest car in the world and a little noise would bother me. I just checked your PM and now I will answer some of your unanswered questions. There is no pre-safe technology, isn't it like a Mercedes only feature, I think what you were referring to is the infrared camera on the steering wheel that detects your face, NO it doesn't come with it unfortunately but the LS has more than enough to keep you safe. Radar cruise control is not available or an option I checked with them a couple of times before buying the car. Yes no auto parking is available but it won't work here because of the tight parking spaces. The standard sound system is better than the S-Class' standard sound system, its good enough. The bluetooth feature allows you to control your phone through the screen only when the car is stationary but many people got the NAV override in the US to make all the features only work when the car is stationary work when the car is in motion but I don't know where I can get that done, you can only answer or reject incoming calls when the car is in motion but I usually put my phone in my lap so I can dial when I'm driving. Borneo's service is superb they actually lent me a LS460 when my car had to be serviced overnight, a service that Mercedes never provided me for 5 yrs no matter how I begged them. About the status, people in the Upscale districts (eg Orchard, Marina) in Singapore clearly know what a Lexus is step into an upscale mall car park like Paragon and you will see many LS460s usually the number of LS460s seen in malls like these are the same as the number of S-Classes seen. LS460s are also usually valet parked nearer to the lobby in luxury hotels like St. Regis or Shangri-La. LS are usually spotted in upscale districts while the S-Class can be spotted everywhere in the island including suburbs.

Quick Reply: Might be buying a 2008 LS460 SWB Questions!