LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

10K Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 07:11 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10K Service

I just had my 10K service done. My dealer calls it "Premium Service", identical to the 5K serivce. It was $199.95. According to the list of services, besides the oil and filter change, and the tire rotation, the rest of the services were basically inspections of fluids, brakes, tires, body paint, and, of course, the car wash. I didn't even get a loaner - it wasn't offered to me, though they shuttled me back and forth to my gym. They didn't do a cabin air filter - I didn't ask for it.

Compared to my Honda Civic hybrid minor service, which costs $50 or $35 with a coupon at the dealer, I don't see much additional value. I know I can afford it, but there is always the question of value for money. I'm thinking about having a non authorized repair shop which specializes in Lexus and other Japanese cars do my services. I believe that if they follow the manufacturer's recommendations on service, there is no affect on warranty.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 07-16-08, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if it's not because i know the master tech at the dealership, i wouldn't spend the money there. it's just not worth it imho.

and if i go, i'd just tell them what i'd do and drop all the inspections. they aren't that useful to me
Old 07-17-08, 06:44 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Fortunately, in my area there is a service center of Lexus trained ASE technicians that got fed up with working at the dealer and opened their own company. That's where I take all my Lexuses for service.

The oil change in an LS 460 can get very messy if you don't know what you're doing. Before the nut is removed to allow the oil to flow out of the car, it's important to put up a "shield" to guide the oil into the drain pan. Otherwise, some of the oil can get get on a protective plate under the car which can drip all over your garage and anywhere else you drive.

The filter housing is permanent -- only the cartridge is replaced -- but can be difficult to remove without a special tool. Some of the newer oil filters on the LS are very high quality plastic and not metal any more. One crack when removing the filter housing and you could be in for big trouble.

Two new O-Rings are required with each oil change as well as a new Crush Seal. People unfamiliar with with the uniqueness of this design may overlook this. I don't recommend taking your car to a "Jiffy Lube" to save a few bucks.

If you want better value for service, you can take your car to a Toyota Dealer and let him do it. Just have the technician rubber stamp your maintenance book to maintain your warranty.

The other item to be very careful about is changing the Cabin Air Filter (not the Engine Air Filter). Something we can do ourselves, but it too must be done correctly. See TSIB L-SB-0031-08: "The air conditioning system MUST be set to the RECIRCULATE mode. The air conditioning filter case CANNOT be removed with the system in the OUTSIDE AIR mode" Not knowing this can damage the blower.

I'm not saying you HAVE to take you car to a dealer, just someone who knows what they're doing. It's too easy to screw up the maintenance services and can come with long term consequences.

Good Luck on finding the right service center for you and do your home work!
Old 07-17-08, 08:54 AM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks alot for the recommendations. Too bad I am not in TX to use your people.
Old 07-17-08, 10:41 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the 15K service done (on my lowly ES350), For about $120, I got pretty much the same service. My dealer also does a very thorough exterior and interior cleaning (not quite a detailing, but pretty close). I also drop my car off about 3PM and return the loaner the following day about the same time. For $7.50, I get use of the loaner and a full tank of gas. Compare this to a Toyota dealer oil change, where I usually sit and wait about 90 minutes, for about $40, I think I am getting a better deal from the Lexus dealer. I also usually have one or two minor items for them to look at under warranty, so that also saves me an extra trip.
Old 07-18-08, 10:09 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been dealing with my particular dealer for about 11 years now, and I find them to be extremely good. No, probably not the cheapest (never shopped them on service), but since they have kept their key service reps, I generally get great service and they know me. I also like getting the loaner car and I don't pay anything for that (I think Dave said it cost $7.50 for his loaner?). Different strokes for different folks, but I enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that they likely know that car better than the average mechanic. I think I just got lucky and have a pretty good dealership.
Old 07-18-08, 01:34 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

You can always take your car to the Toyota dealer. They can order the filters and should have the 0W20 synthetic oil in stock. The Prius uses the same oil. They will have to order the filters in advance. That should only take them a day or two to get the filters. I also don't do the inspections. I just tell them what I want done. This is my 5th Lexus and the inspections are just a way for the dealer to make extra money... No value to the customer in my opinion... The cabin filter is part of the 10K service.

Craig
Old 07-18-08, 04:22 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things:

1. If you want max price for your LS on resale, a maintenance book full of on-time dealer stamps is a real dealmaker. It shows that you can afford to run such a car, and that it has received the best servicing possible with no shortcuts.

2. It costs a lot to keep technicians current on servicing. The dealer sends them on courses, buys the latest diagnostic machinery, and there's the familiarity factor for efficiency - they work on your model often... no experimenting on your car in your time! The paper service manuals for my car cost NZ$10,000 (about US$7,500). All those expenses have to be paid for, and you can be sure it's not coming out of profits!

It's a misnomer to think that cheaper is buying better. I've lost count of the number of people I hear complaining about dealer servicing costs. But they don't realize the huge overhead in running a profit-making business... staff and buildings, training and a myriad of associated costs which have to be paid for somewhere by someone. If customers don't pay, then the dealer closes and you're forced down the road to Joe's Garage where the air filter comes from a roadside factory in China, is put on backwards and clogs up 10 miles later (some blue sky guesswork in that statement )

Old cars are different. A 10 year-old Toyota with high ongoing maintenance costs is probably better served at an OEM shop, I don't know. But I know my Mercedes parts will be available for 30 years and the dealer knows how to source them and how to fit them. I've bought a China-made Merc part on one occasion, and the fit and quality was so poor I went immediately back to the dealer to replace it.

We're not talking about cash-deprived owners here. Everyone who can afford a new or 2 year-old LS can afford to run it properly and pay for it, surely?

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)

Last edited by LS600guy; 07-18-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 05:44 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Well thought out and spoken! I agree!

Originally Posted by LS600guy
Two things:

1. If you want max price for your LS on resale, a maintenance book full of on-time dealer stamps is a real dealmaker. It shows that you can afford to run such a car, and that it has received the best servicing possible with no shortcuts.

2. It costs a lot to keep technicians current on servicing. The dealer sends them on courses, buys the latest diagnostic machinery, and there's the familiarity factor for efficiency - they work on your model often... no experimenting on your car in your time! The paper service manuals for my car cost NZ$10,000 (about US$7,500). All those expenses have to be paid for, and you can be sure it's not coming out of profits!

It's a misnomer to think that cheaper is buying better. I've lost count of the number of people I hear complaining about dealer servicing costs. But they don't realize the huge overhead in running a profit-making business... staff and buildings, training and a myriad of associated costs which have to be paid for somewhere by someone. If customers don't pay, then the dealer closes and you're forced down the road to Joe's Garage where the air filter comes from a roadside factory in China, is put on backwards and clogs up 10 miles later (some blue sky guesswork in that statement )

Old cars are different. A 10 year-old Toyota with high ongoing maintenance costs is probably better served at an OEM shop, I don't know. But I know my Mercedes parts will be available for 30 years and the dealer knows how to source them and how to fit them. I've bought a China-made Merc part on one occasion, and the fit and quality was so poor I went immediately back to the dealer to replace it.

We're not talking about cash-deprived owners here. Everyone who can afford a new or 2 year-old LS can afford to run it properly and pay for it, surely?

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)
You made some great points and I agree 100% with what you said. Some may beg to differ but, I feel you hit the nail on the head. I do my services on my 2001 LS430 at the dealer for the piece of mind and Im assured the men and woman who work on my car know about it in and out. I paid what I paid for because I wanted the reliability of the Lexus brand. That means also getting the best care for my car. I see it like going to a good doctor or a great doctor. I will pay more for the great doctor for the piece of mind even if its just $1000 more.

This isnt orange juice we buy in a store, this is a car that can give you years in return if well taken care of. I do feel the other side of the issue as well. Cost can be frustrating and it seems like once every 3 months the dealers charge more at times and the cost of gas is outer space. I hope we all can survive the cost of gas till it cools down and with it effecting other goods and services its pinched us all a bit in the pocket but, like LS600 guy said, for those who have new and 2 year old LS's price of services should be a welcome cost to keep the quality of your rides great and helps resale.

I have a 7 year old LS430 and still treat it as new and I know the services are costly but, the piece of mind is priceless!

L.G.N.M