LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 06:43 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a little thread revival but this week I lowered all of my windows and noticed one of my weather strip in the rear window looked different so after careful comparison I snapped it back into the right location and bought some mequiars m40 for vinyl rubber and etc. and cleaned all of the weather stripping on the car including the doors windows and such and now my car is tomb quiet! I also did the other fix but that was last year and I got to say that the car is quiet again. Check those weather stripping on the car for anything pinched like stated before.
Old 03-24-13, 08:24 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cross-winds

Originally Posted by Lextrician
a little thread revival but this week I lowered all of my windows and noticed one of my weather strip in the rear window looked different so after careful comparison I snapped it back into the right location and bought some mequiars m40 for vinyl rubber and etc. and cleaned all of the weather stripping on the car including the doors windows and such and now my car is tomb quiet! I also did the other fix but that was last year and I got to say that the car is quiet again. Check those weather stripping on the car for anything pinched like stated before.
Had the factory fix six month ago (2009 swb). Did the JMC triangle fix twice. Have gummi-pfleged every seal numerous times. Used silicone everywhere there is a gap. For me its all about cross-winds. Straight into wind...OK. Any side angled winds I hear the gusts like a window partially open. (Tried the micro-tap to lower window and reduce pressure). Car is so quiet that it exercabates any wind noise. Still waiting to try the shop vac blowing around seals and gaps externally w/ me inside car to locate sources of infiltration (red neck wind tunnel). PITA...mike
Old 04-23-13, 11:37 AM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first time on here so I hope this message gets to you Jim. I have read your entire post about the wind noise. I bought a 2008 LS 460 about 6 months ago. The wind noise was driving me crazy and finally I googled it and came across your fix. I was amazed at everything you tried in communicating to Lexus. I have ordered the GE-280 Sealant. My question is, Has your fix been modified to not include the metal patch? Is Lexus actually doing something about this now or do I need to attempt your fix?
Thanks for your time,
John
Old 04-23-13, 12:19 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

John,

I have not seen any indications that Lexus is doing any sort of repair for the wind noise that is caused by the separation of the triangle-trim on the doors. Anything that would provide a good seal under the trim would be okay and there are lots of ways to do that. The metal patch is one way to do it and it is certainly easy to do and very effective.

The most current instructions for the DIY repair that I suggested are here in the #1 post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

Please check the Private Message feature on this site for a message.
Old 04-23-13, 06:32 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you encore888 for the TSIB link

TSIB information: http://www.lambros.net/2007LS460L/tsib/

I was experiencing a creak, tick or rattle noise from the upper and lower portion of the windshield, which is known as L-SB-0090-08 (windshield tick noise)

THANK YOU
Old 11-20-13, 03:25 AM
wjg18
Driver School Candidate

Jim,
I have read you instructions on the repair for the wind noise problem and your attempts to get Lexus to acknowledge the problem. It's clear they do not want to acknowledge the problem and have to fix thousands of cars. With that said, have you noticed that Lexus has redesigned that black triangle piece on the 2013 model year? My question is, do you know if this newly designed piece is interchangeable for use on the previous generation LS? I have not driven a 2013 so I do not know if the new design has fixed the wind noise issue. If it has, that would be an easy fix if we could just swap out the piece for the new design. I have a 2010 LS460 AWD and have a slight whistle noise on the drivers side. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Walt
Old 11-20-13, 07:05 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I looked into that too. It is not the same size triangle piece.
Old 11-21-13, 03:10 PM
wjg18
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. Did you actually check them side by side or did a Lexus parts guy tell you that the weren't the same?
Old 11-21-13, 04:05 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I looked into that too. It is not the same size triangle piece.
Originally Posted by wjg18
Thanks for your reply. Did you actually check them side by side or did a Lexus parts guy tell you that the weren't the same?
I've looked at these on several 2013 LSs and on the outside they seem to be the same size.

Here is a picture of this part that was posted a while back: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ervations.html

Here is another comment about the new trim part: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7705119-post778.html
Old 11-21-13, 04:17 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, I was told it would not fit by the service manager. He may be wrong. I looked at a showroom 2013 and the part seemed smaller to me so I took the SM word for it. Wonder if anyone has actually tried it. I may see how much the part is at Sewell online parts and if reasonable try it for the heck of it.
Old 11-21-13, 04:53 PM
jmcraney

If there is an interchangeability issue it is probably related to the registration pattern.
Old 11-22-13, 03:14 AM
wjg18
Driver School Candidate

I guess the only way to be sure is to have the parts manager bring out both new and old and compare them side by side for size and registration pattern. I did notice on the 2013 that not only did they add the vortex fin but the piece is somewhat raised in the middle and not flat like the old version. If anyone tries the new version or is able to view them together please let me know your results.
Thanks,
Walt
Old 12-09-13, 04:35 PM
Lovik
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
The new 2013 part do fit...read post here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...2013-cars.html
Old 12-12-13, 06:33 AM
wjg18
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link. I had a feeling it would work when I saw it on the 2013 at the dealer.
Old 12-12-13, 08:14 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Your experience may vary but as far as fixing the issue the 2013 part is the fix.
The dealer let me know that the part was listed as a 2009-2013, imagine that.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)