LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Old 11-29-08, 08:53 PM
3alwi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine seems without wind noise

even when i drive @ high speeds such as 180km or 200km

it is calm and nice

my milage 49000 km now but still good although i am starting to feel one of the tyres is wearing, it makes a sound as if it is ruined in some places
Old 11-29-08, 10:50 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3alwi
mine seems without wind noise

even when i drive @ high speeds such as 180km or 200km

it is calm and nice

my milage 49000 km now but still good although i am starting to feel one of the tyres is wearing, it makes a sound as if it is ruined in some places

I hope it stays like that forever. My car milage is 83,000 km
Old 11-30-08, 02:30 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus111
I just mentioned the TSB on the windows when I went into the dealership and then after the service advisor looked up the TSB he called and said that it would be completed.
I do have some wind noise for sure,for the last three months I was trying to tell myself that there isnt any noise (How can it ,its the flagship Lexus),just the tubulance outside the window,I tryed tapeing over the triangle peices and had zero results,then I recently read your post of lowering the window slightly,I tried it yesterday on the parkway and sure enough the noise changed,I moved it up and down rapidly and it was less wind noise down than up,This definatly makes sense in my case because thats where I hear the noise coming from the along the seal of the door up high near the top of the door,The passenger side is identical,so now I know its not the install its a faulty window seal,I will call my dealer this week and make an appointment for the fix,Or I was thinking of putting the Japan window vent guards this might do the trick in this case,the only downfall is that there $500 to $600 dollars.BTW they are the best looking vent guards ive seen .

Last edited by Whipple1; 12-01-08 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-08, 09:26 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have a picture of the Vent Guards or Internet Link?
Old 12-01-08, 03:04 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by jlawr
This is what they look like,Im really not crazy about window guards but these are sweet,I think prestigous society can get them,I asked about them and he said they are really well made and look real nice he has them on his LS.http://www.admiration.ne.jp/gallery/lexus_ls/1152.htmlI also called my dealer about the tsb for wind noise and he said he was familiar with this,he said somtimes they change the glass and seal,I think they only change the glass if its non lamitated,but mine is laminated so I guess they will only change the seals.
Old 12-01-08, 03:11 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by jlawr
Here is a link that can get them,They are a little pricey,They will make a real nice holiday gift .http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2473
Old 12-05-08, 10:10 AM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

Cool Any improvement

Originally Posted by uae
0% Improvement. I will give it 1 last shot with new triangle trims and new sealnts.

I'm wondering if the new triangle trims have improved your windnoise?
I did not have any wind noise when I bought the car 2008 (and I was VERY
AWARE of the issue thanks to this forum) but now have windnoise after
only 5,000 miles. I decided to do the Jim fix before there was any
wind noise at 900 miles (just to make sure there would not be any wind noise in the future) but after 5,000 miles it has developed. Putting down the
window just a touch, does help. Is the answer more insulation or new
triangle pieces?
Old 12-05-08, 12:01 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by lexier
I'm wondering if the new triangle trims have improved your windnoise?
I did not have any wind noise when I bought the car 2008 (and I was VERY
AWARE of the issue thanks to this forum) but now have windnoise after
only 5,000 miles. I decided to do the Jim fix before there was any
wind noise at 900 miles (just to make sure there would not be any wind noise in the future) but after 5,000 miles it has developed. Putting down the
window just a touch, does help. Is the answer more insulation or new
triangle pieces?
Check your PM for a message.
Old 12-05-08, 01:31 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whipple1
,I tryed tapeing over the triangle peices and had zero results

I too tried taping around the whole triangle piece with zero results.

I then did the silicon fix and the noise ceased.
Seems there is another wind path from inside the door skin somewhere. The silicon adhesive/sealer over those holes and seams did the trick.

Whit
Old 12-06-08, 09:51 AM
lexus111
Rookie

Talking

[QUOTE=Whipple1;4045248]I do have some wind noise for sure,for the last three months I was trying to tell myself that there isnt any noise (How can it ,its the flagship Lexus),just the tubulance outside the window,I tryed tapeing over the triangle peices and had zero results,then I recently read your post of lowering the window slightly,I tried it yesterday on the parkway and sure enough the noise changed,I moved it up and down rapidly and it was less wind noise down than up...

Good Luck with the dealership... hopefully you will have the same outcome that I did... I can tell you that my 460L is still nice and quiet compared to before the dealership fix. And I don't have to tap the window at all. I just let it go up on its own.
Old 12-06-08, 09:55 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two comments:

I just got a 2009 SWB, and it came standard with the Lamisafe front window glass. So, somebody at Lexus is listening.

At high speeds I can still hear a very mild sound of wind passing past the window (not at the front part of the window). Is that the problem we are talking about, or is that considered fixed?

Last edited by joeyb; 12-06-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-06-08, 10:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyb
Two comments:

I just got a 2009 SWB, and it came standard with the Lamisafe front window glass. So, somebody at Lexus is listening.

At high speeds I can still hear a very mild sound of wind passing past the window (not atthe front part of the window). Is that the problem we are talking about, or is that considered fixed?
How high are you talking about ? If it's high enough, I don't think it's possible to have zero wind noise inside any car.
Old 12-06-08, 10:20 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By high speed, I mean 75 mph.
By mild, I mean that if I wasn't listening for it, I might not have really noticed it.
Old 12-09-08, 08:01 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Well....I never thought much about the wind noise, but today I lowered my window just a hair, and sure enough, the car did get more quiet. I am going to call my local Lexus dude and see what he says. I'm hoping he'll have an open mind about it because he has been a pretty nice guy to deal with over the last 10 years or so. Still a very pleasant car to drive....but shouldn't have to lower the window on a $60k car to get the wind noise down.
Old 12-10-08, 02:29 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Well....I never thought much about the wind noise, but today I lowered my window just a hair, and sure enough, the car did get more quiet. I am going to call my local Lexus dude and see what he says. I'm hoping he'll have an open mind about it because he has been a pretty nice guy to deal with over the last 10 years or so. Still a very pleasant car to drive....but shouldn't have to lower the window on a $60k car to get the wind noise down.
Be prepared for the service manager to tell you, 'well this is an engineered-in feature to prevent long term, over compression of the upper window gasket and seals.'

;->

Whit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)