LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bluetooth Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 02:32 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Problems

Any of you having issues with your bluetooth staying connected consistently? My cell phone recently does strange things..sometimes it works while connected fine and other times it does a variety of things...if a call comes in, the bluetooth connection drops but my phone still thinks it is connected so it's speaker won't work and since the car thinks it's disconnected, the speakers don't work there either...sometimes when I dial a call, it disconnects the bluetooth. After this, if I shut my bluetooth off on my phone and turn it back on sometimes the car will find it and reconnect, other times not. Sometimes the fix involved restarting the car, sometimes restarting the phone. It's beginning to drive me a little nuts and with the new hands free law coming in CA this July, I need this thing to work consistently.

Not sure to start with the troubleshooting..thought maybe I would get a friends phone and see if I could keep it connected and if so, might suggest my phone is the issue. Or, if the other phone acts up with the other phone, might suggest the car. However, because the problem acts up intermittently, it's really hard to get it to act up when I need to do actual testing and it's hard to borrow a friends phone for a good period of time. Guess I'll have to head for a long trip with a friend!

Lastly, where is the car's bluetooth chip located? I hope its not within the nav unit area...I have the override and would prefer Lexus not have to pull it out and work on it.
Old 04-12-08, 04:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

dave, i think of the whole time i owned the ls460l (6 months) and my gs350 (so far), i have had 2 times failure where the system completely went whack

time for new phone?
Old 04-12-08, 05:16 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had mine for only 4 months, but the BT hooks up flawlessly and hangs on until I shut the car off and walk away. Never had a single problem like you describe.

I'm on AT&T (formerly Cingular), and I'm using a Moto RAZR V3 FWIW.

Old 04-12-08, 07:24 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

I need to troubleshoot this first to determine where the problem is...I'm going to do that tomorrow with a friend's phone and hope that it doesn't act up. Then I'll know it's my phone.
Old 04-13-08, 07:21 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Had mine for only 4 months, but the BT hooks up flawlessly and hangs on until I shut the car off and walk away. Never had a single problem like you describe.

I'm on AT&T (formerly Cingular), and I'm using a Moto RAZR V3 FWIW.

Mike:

Were you able to transfer phone book data? Both my current phones are Razr's(Verizon & AT&T) and I have been unsuccessful. Advise.
Old 04-15-08, 07:10 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Question: Can you guys give me your experience w/ the auto connect between you phone and your car's bluetooth? Mine does it initially when the car is started, but if the bluetooth is disconnected and then later you want to reconnect, I have to do it manually (it won't automatically reconnect after it has once been connected unless you restart the car).

This isn't to be confused w/ when you get into the car and then later decide to connect for the first time, it connects automatically fine. The auto connect appears to only work once and if disconnected, won't work again until the car is restarted. Sometimes though, the auto connect won't even work when I start the car and then turn my bluetooth on my phone for the first time - varies. I am interested in other's experiences in the auto connect area. Thanks!
Old 04-15-08, 08:26 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Unfortunately Bluetooth is a "standard" that many manufacturers don't seem to follow correctly. You will find that some phones will pair better with the car than others. If you are using a PDA (Blackberry, Treo, etc) you can usually upgrade the phone firmware to the latest version and that sometimes fixes Bluetooth issues. If you have a standard phone it is much more difficult to upgrade the firmware (if available at all). The simple fix will be get a phone that is know to work correctly.
Old 04-15-08, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by acecert
Question: Can you guys give me your experience w/ the auto connect between you phone and your car's bluetooth? Mine does it initially when the car is started, but if the bluetooth is disconnected and then later you want to reconnect, I have to do it manually (it won't automatically reconnect after it has once been connected unless you restart the car).

This isn't to be confused w/ when you get into the car and then later decide to connect for the first time, it connects automatically fine. The auto connect appears to only work once and if disconnected, won't work again until the car is restarted. Sometimes though, the auto connect won't even work when I start the car and then turn my bluetooth on my phone for the first time - varies. I am interested in other's experiences in the auto connect area. Thanks!
that's the case for my phone. i think one time the phone was connected but battery went out or it "crashed". i restarted the phone but it didn't connect.

it was only one data point though