LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bumper Fell Off Doubters

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 08:14 AM
warbird
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Fell Off Doubters

Fyi, Lexus Has Replaced The Bumper No Charge And Also Ate The Tow Charges. They Had No Explaination Why The Rear Bumper Would Fall Off . No Damage Guys , No Damage! Its Called Defect , Defect , Defect.:d
Old 02-20-08, 09:32 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warbird, for whats it's worth I believe you

I know Lexus products are not perfect. I guess it's tough for past Lexus owners to grasp these cars have so many basic problems. Past Lexus's have been known for the best quality control in the industry.

I'll bet something happened to your car during transit from Japan to the dealer in the US that caused it to fail. My brother in-law is a captain of a Ro Ro ship that transport the cars from Japan to Port Newark NJ. They all come from the Toyota plant. He has told me stories to what happens to some of the 500 or so cars they pack on the ship for transit. Mine was delivered with 21 miles on it and I had it spacial ordered, it was not driven. I was told that is the normal mileage after testing and transit. Not sure if I believe the dealer but we just bought a new 350 for my mother in-law and it had the same mileage as mine did.
Old 02-20-08, 09:50 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
Warbird, for whats it's worth I believe you

I know Lexus products are not perfect. I guess it's tough for past Lexus owners to grasp these cars have so many basic problems. Past Lexus's have been known for the best quality control in the industry.

I'll bet something happened to your car during transit from Japan to the dealer in the US that caused it to fail. My brother in-law is a captain of a Ro Ro ship that transport the cars from Japan to Port Newark NJ. They all come from the Toyota plant. He has told me stories to what happens to some of the 500 or so cars they pack on the ship for transit. Mine was delivered with 21 miles on it and I had it spacial ordered, it was not driven. I was told that is the normal mileage after testing and transit. Not sure if I believe the dealer but we just bought a new 350 for my mother in-law and it had the same mileage as mine did.
Gary,
I've been told that if the dealership is close to the port, they'll drive your car instead of transporting it on the truck, to save money. My dealership is about 200 miles from port, therefore, my car was delivered and it had 9 miles on it.
Old 02-20-08, 11:33 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

for whats its worth...we did ask for pictures for proof

and also, my car was delivered with 8 miles on it
Old 02-20-08, 12:31 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

I have to say the bumper on the car is not that strong. My LS600hL is at the shop now getting its front bumper replaced. When it was raining here a few weeks ago I was driving home through the canyons and someone’s black plastic trashcan had blown into the street. By the time I could see it coming around the corner it was too late to swerve enough to miss it. It hit the right front bumper. I was probably only going about 10 mph when I hit it. When I got home it didn’t look bad except for some scrapes. On closer inspection the plastic clips that hold the bumper on in the wheel well broke and the bumper itself was falling off the frame.

The car was already scheduled to the dealer the next day for service so I asked them if they could fix it. They looked at it and said they could buff it out and replace the clips for me at no charge. After having the car for two days they called back and said the actual plastic cover of the bumper was tweaked in such a way that the clips kept breaking every time they tried to put new ones on. The only solution was to replace the entire bumper cover. They took it to the body shop and I was quoted $1500 to replace it. For that price I called the insurance company and they said it would be covered under my comprehensive policy with a $250 deductible and not count against me since the trashcan was “moving” across the road. Unfortunately the bumper was backordered and it has taken forever for them to get it. The car is supposed to be ready today (after taking it to them on Jan 24th).

So, I too am unimpressed with the strength of the bumper if a plastic trashcan can cause that much damage when hitting the car at such a low speed. I can see how warbird would be unhappy when his rear bumper fell off.
Old 02-20-08, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

having an accident is very different from bumper just randomly falling off though
Old 02-20-08, 01:06 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You may think I'm nit-picking, but my problem with the original post was he said the "bumper fell off". Actually, he meant the bumper cover fell off, and there IS a difference.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced even the bumper cover fell off with no help. If it did, it isn't necessarily an indication of poor workmanship or materials ... it's more likely the result of some kind of damage in transit or just a unique failure.

I mean, it's not like LS bumper covers are falling off all over the place.

Old 02-20-08, 02:15 PM
rajwany
Driver

Originally Posted by DrComputer
I have to say the bumper on the car is not that strong. My LS600hL is at the shop now getting its front bumper replaced. When it was raining here a few weeks ago I was driving home through the canyons and someone’s black plastic trashcan had blown into the street. By the time I could see it coming around the corner it was too late to swerve enough to miss it. It hit the right front bumper. I was probably only going about 10 mph when I hit it. When I got home it didn’t look bad except for some scrapes. On closer inspection the plastic clips that hold the bumper on in the wheel well broke and the bumper itself was falling off the frame.

The car was already scheduled to the dealer the next day for service so I asked them if they could fix it. They looked at it and said they could buff it out and replace the clips for me at no charge. After having the car for two days they called back and said the actual plastic cover of the bumper was tweaked in such a way that the clips kept breaking every time they tried to put new ones on. The only solution was to replace the entire bumper cover. They took it to the body shop and I was quoted $1500 to replace it. For that price I called the insurance company and they said it would be covered under my comprehensive policy with a $250 deductible and not count against me since the trashcan was “moving” across the road. Unfortunately the bumper was backordered and it has taken forever for them to get it. The car is supposed to be ready today (after taking it to them on Jan 24th).

So, I too am unimpressed with the strength of the bumper if a plastic trashcan can cause that much damage when hitting the car at such a low speed. I can see how warbird would be unhappy when his rear bumper fell off.

r u trying to tell me that u convinced the ins company that the trash can was moving so it should be covered under the comprehensive policy. wow what ins co do u have. did they ask for the TRASH CANS license or not.
Old 02-20-08, 02:17 PM
rajwany
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You may think I'm nit-picking, but my problem with the original post was he said the "bumper fell off". Actually, he meant the bumper cover fell off, and there IS a difference.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced even the bumper cover fell off with no help. If it did, it isn't necessarily an indication of poor workmanship or materials ... it's more likely the result of some kind of damage in transit or just a unique failure.

I mean, it's not like LS bumper covers are falling off all over the place.

hey mike maybe this'll be the first on the guiness book "watch out for falling bumpers"
Old 02-20-08, 08:01 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rajwany
hey mike maybe this'll be the first on the guiness book "watch out for falling bumpers"
You know, Raj, it's possible the object DrComputer hit on that dark and stormy night wasn't a trash can after all ... but actually one of the thousands of LS bumper covers littering the roads.

Old 02-21-08, 04:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by warbird
Fyi, Lexus Has Replaced The Bumper No Charge And Also Ate The Tow Charges. They Had No Explaination Why The Rear Bumper Would Fall Off . No Damage Guys , No Damage! Its Called Defect , Defect , Defect.:d
War, there were doubters on Tundra wheels falling off or folding up under, just ignore it and use the wealth of information here provided by members.
Old 02-21-08, 06:13 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
War, there were doubters on Tundra wheels falling off or folding up under, just ignore it and use the wealth of information here provided by members.
What? Any links to this?
Old 02-21-08, 06:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onepointon
What? Any links to this?

Here are a couple but if you look at Tundra/Sequoia forums you will see where something brought up is first discounted, joked about etc. You can even see that in the ES oil leak thread, here on wind noise thread.

Now not saying there is an issue with LS bumper/bumper cover clips, but these folks could be thrown an empathy bone if not just for experiencing it no matter what the cause of it is.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1011296/...ain/index.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ll_joints.html
Old 02-21-08, 09:11 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rajwany
r u trying to tell me that u convinced the ins company that the trash can was moving so it should be covered under the comprehensive policy. wow what ins co do u have. did they ask for the TRASH CANS license or not.
It was my agent that actually suggested the "moving" part, not me. State Farm has made enough money off of me over the years so the $1500 they paid out won't break them. Got the car back yesterday and it looks great.
Old 02-22-08, 11:28 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrComputer
It was my agent that actually suggested the "moving" part, not me. State Farm has made enough money off of me over the years so the $1500 they paid out won't break them. Got the car back yesterday and it looks great.
Yeah, I would normally expect that to be treated as a Collision claim. A lot of people think Collision coverage is just for colliding with other cars, but it also applies to animals, trees, fences and all kinds of things ... including trash cans and old Lexus bumper covers.

Quick Reply: Bumper Fell Off Doubters