LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

No one is interested in hacking the Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 12:49 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb No one is interested in hacking the Nav?

I know we've talked about this some before, but I keep hoping someone with hacking experience (or connections) will take this and run with it. Someone who knows what he's doing should be able (for instance) to easily disable the in-motion lockout.

The first step would be to determine the operating system our Nav uses. Many of these systems use either Win CE or Win Mobile, but I don't know if Lexus used that or some other proprietary OS (which I doubt, since the Windows products are available off the shelf).

The next step would be to access the OS, probably through the port under the dash where updates are installed. I don't know if anyone has tried connecting a laptop or Win Mobile device to the port, but doing so might allow you to see the contents of the HDD as a drive, like any other USB device connected to your computer.

After that, it would be a matter of examining the code to see where the command is to disable Nav inputs when the car starts moving ... and disabling or overriding that command.

For someone like me with no computer language experience (and no developer tools), it's beyond my capability, but to hackers who live to break code, this should be a walk in the park. X-Box wasn't out a month before kids were rewriting it, and as we all know, just about every OS and piece of software has been hacked.

We have a lot of smart and creative people on this forum, and I'm sure someone has the skills or connections to get this done. And I suspect there would be some money in it for the guy who got it done ...

Old 01-18-08, 01:23 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also can't believe this has not been done already, I was checking over on the Acura forums and they have hacked those pretty good. Maybe you can recruit someone from over there? I was looking at one the other day where you can even change the startup screen image.
Old 01-18-08, 06:06 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by allklr
I also can't believe this has not been done already, I was checking over on the Acura forums and they have hacked those pretty good. Maybe you can recruit someone from over there? I was looking at one the other day where you can even change the startup screen image.
Yeah, and I was checking the Cadillac forum today (the wife kinda wants a new CTS), and they are chugging away there trying to hack their system. Theirs is mfd by Alpine, and it runs Win Mobile (which is a version of Win CE). People are trying to download the OS, modify it to eliminate the lockout, allow videos while moving, etc., etc. They haven't succeeded yet, but they are really working at it.

As for the Acura hack, the guy who did that one got PO'ed at the forum because he wanted some payment for his work (which I thought was reasonable) and the Admin's banned him for not being an approved sponsor.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting the idea LS owners are just lukewarm on the whole idea ... or are content to allow their Nav systems to be crippled by Lexus.

Old 01-18-08, 06:55 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting the idea LS owners are just lukewarm on the whole idea ... or are content to allow their Nav systems to be crippled by Lexus.

No Siree. Please count me in. I am willing to participate and pay my fair share to a hacker.
Old 01-18-08, 07:21 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

That's the spirit!

Old 01-18-08, 08:33 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gogogogoggo!
Old 01-19-08, 07:57 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Gogogogoggo!
I'm totally for getting full functionality back, but in the meantime (as a show of my optimism) I've ordered the override unit from PS.

Old 01-19-08, 08:22 AM
Bossa_Nova
Rookie

Add me to those in favor of, but lacking the skills to accomplish this. If someone is successful, I'd contribute to their reward.
Old 01-19-08, 11:05 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

well i finally got my lexus, but man it's complicated, I am planning on buying the nav hack, but the gps has a lot of options, right now i feel like i need to stop to get it to work.

maybe i should read the manual..

g
Old 01-19-08, 11:40 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by guy999

maybe i should read the manual..

Old 01-19-08, 01:53 PM
mfno0od
Rookie

the manual is too much blah blah for me .. self learning is way much better and interesting
Old 01-19-08, 03:13 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mfno0od
the manual is too much blah blah for me .. self learning is way much better and interesting
You and I have a lot in common. Especially since this is such a crummy manual.

Old 01-19-08, 06:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

took me maybe 5-6 nights to finish reading the damn manual... useful though i think

installed another nav hack on a 600hl today with 7.1 nav. worked out perfect
Old 01-19-08, 06:54 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
took me maybe 5-6 nights to finish reading the damn manual... useful though i think

installed another nav hack on a 600hl today with 7.1 nav. worked out perfect
Pretty soon you'll be able to quit your day job and do installs full-time.

Old 01-19-08, 06:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Pretty soon you'll be able to quit your day job and do installs full-time.

lol man, then that would be a very poor life i live

Quick Reply: No one is interested in hacking the Nav?