LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 01:45 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Patric
First I had noisy wipers that would make a slapping sound in each direction so they replaced the blades even though they were new.

Now I hear the wind whistle from around 40 on up so its back to the dealer again to see what they will do.

Perhaps the customer should do the complete PDI before delivery with TSB list in hand to save potential repeated trips to the dealer.

Pat
Print a copy of the TSIB (24 pages), and have it in hand when you go to the dealer. Some of these guys are either too lazy or in denial when you approach them about this particular complaint.

TSIB NV009-07

Last edited by Johnny; 10-21-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 05:20 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Print a copy of the TSIB (24 pages), and have it in hand when you go to the dealer. Some of these guys are either too lazy or in denial when you approach them about this particular complaint.
Got it, thanks.

Pat
Old 10-26-07, 05:09 PM
SockMonkey
Driver School Candidate

Default My experience w/wind noise, & other TSIB's

I've owned my LS 460 since April of this year and around 3,000 miles I started to notice wind noise coming from the driver's side front window. The best I can explain it was that it sounded like it was a windy day out even on days there was no wind. After driving 2 loaner cars, 1st a Camry, then an Avalon, I was reminded how quiet the cabin of my LS 460 is, but neither of those 2 loaners had the wind noise from the side window. The thought of having the doors of my new car torn apart was akin to having heart surgery performed on your poodle; I debated the risks for a couple of months, while reading about other owners' experiences with the fix. Finally I took the plunge and had the wind noise TSIB performed at the beginning of this week and I'm extremely pleased to report that the wind noise that I had been hearing is now gone. My dealership told me mine was the 1st car of theirs in for this TSIB so a regional Lexus rep. had to be there to oversee the repair. It took 1 day and I was relieved to see it was done without any scratches to the interior or exterior of the car, and no new door rattles have appeared.

In addition to the wind noise TSIB, I also elected to have the transmission one done to remove that annoying hesitation and I highly recommend it.

My CD player suddenly stopped working with 5 CD's stuck in it somewhere around 4,000 miles so that's been replaced, along with the B pillar trim being replaced due to the unsightly wear from rubbing against it. I eagerly await the new & improved & final replacement for the B pillar trim.

And even after all of the above "issues", I have to say I'm still in love with this car. I was beginning to doubt if it was worth it, but after using loaners for a couple of days, I was quickly reminded what a great car I had.

The only downside is I'll never be able to drive anything less again. It's amazing how quickly you become dependent on some of the features and you feel lost when you're in a car without them.

I owe a great big thank you to everyone on this forum that took the time to post their experiences. It helps tremendously to have a resource such as this one to share and learn.

Last edited by SockMonkey; 10-26-07 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-30-07, 03:43 PM
wickedt
Driver School Candidate

I've done a search and cannot seem to locate an answer to my question, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed:

Has anyone taken delivery of a 2008 LS460L and experienced the 'wind noise' ?
Old 10-31-07, 03:23 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wickedt
I've done a search and cannot seem to locate an answer to my question, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed:

Has anyone taken delivery of a 2008 LS460L and experienced the 'wind noise' ?
I test drove a 2007 460 and a 2008 460L a few days ago and they both had the same mount of wind noise. To be honest, My F 150 has less wind noise.

The saleman told me sales are way down on the 460 and he's not sure why. My reply was the only reason I have not bought one is the wind noise issue. I was praying the 2008's would not have the same problem but it looks like they do. I will wait until the next batch comes in, he told me that could be 6 months since sales are so slow.
Old 10-31-07, 03:30 PM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS430X6
I test drove a 2007 460 and a 2008 460L a few days ago and they both had the same mount of wind noise. To be honest, My F 150 has less wind noise.

The saleman told me sales are way down on the 460 and he's not sure why. My reply was the only reason I have not bought one is the wind noise issue. I was praying the 2008's would not have the same problem but it looks like they do. I will wait until the next batch comes in, he told me that could be 6 months since sales are so slow.
The nav lockout could also be a contributing negative to sales...
Old 10-31-07, 03:48 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"The saleman told me sales are way down on the 460 and he's not sure why. My reply was the only reason I have not bought one is the wind noise issue. I was praying the 2008's would not have the same problem but it looks like they do. I will wait until the next batch comes in, he told me that could be 6 months since sales are so slow."

"The nav lockout could also be a contributing negative to sales..."

Amen to both of those posts....wind noise still present.....nav lockout....cheap interiors. It's hard to understand what Lexus is thinking.
Old 10-31-07, 04:45 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Most people buying LS 460 don't read the forums. They usually come here after the purchase. I really doubt the sales were affected by consumer education about the nav/noise issues.
Old 10-31-07, 04:49 PM
Atlas
Rookie

Sales slow, since when? The LS460 is selling an average of 3,000 units per month in '07. These numbers are over their target. The sales numbers don't support the clain of slow sales
Old 10-31-07, 04:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The wind noise issue definitely is a concern for prospective buyers. And for sure, people have different opinions on the new car's features, and of course the NAVI lockout (which has been on Lexus vehicles for several generations now as a safety feature) has engendered strong dislike among groups of owners. And it's possible that at some particular dealerships, sales are down.

However, let's be factual here. Sales for the LS 460 OVERALL are higher than before. And one might rightfully point out that the previous year was the final year of the LS 430 and there was a final dropoff, but look at September 2004 and 2005 sales as well.

September 2007 sales - up 238%
LS 460/600h L 2,918
26,350 YTD

September 2006 sales
LS 430 898
9,971 YTD

September 2005 sales
LS 430 1,897
20,416 YTD

September 2004 sales
LS 430 2,448
23,478 YTD

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=309919
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181094

As to whether the issue will affect sales, I don't know. But I hope they have tightened quality control at the production line to make most of the models largely fine. The positive experience of newer owners on this board (not all I realize) supports this. Whether a design change is incorporated downstream remains to be seen.
Old 10-31-07, 06:35 PM
gkw
Rookie

Default Mine is fixed and I love it!

I haven't read all 31 pages of posts, but I wanted to let you guys know about my positive experience with getting mine fixed.

My dealer (Lexus Northboro - although I bought the car in Fla) called me when the parts were in a few weeks ago to have the work done. Then they apologized to say that they weren't ready to do the repair until the Lexus rep was there.

Two weeks later, they called me while I was out of town to say that he was going to be there and they wanted me to bring the car in. When I said I was out of town, they offered to drive to my house (30 miles) and pick up the car.

Two days later when I returned, they delivered my car back to the house and the change is remarkable. I have about 2500 miles since the repair and couldn't be happier.

This week they installed the Homelink TSB.

Now if we could only figure out the NAV/DVD lockout...

And, I am averaging 26MPG since 9/1/07!

GW
Old 11-01-07, 09:18 AM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorozov
Most people buying LS 460 don't read the forums. They usually come here after the purchase. I really doubt the sales were affected by consumer education about the nav/noise issues.
I, for one, stumbled upon the CL website only a day before going to the Lexus dealer (it was a Costco reference to go that dealer). Where I read about the wind noise was from the owners comments in Edmunds.com, where I think a lot of people would go to do research. I then googled wind noise and Lexus and got the CL reference. I then spent a couple of hours going through the issues raised in CL - such as wind noise, transmission hesitation and glove box rattle. This gave me very specific things to listen for and feel during my test drive. Fortunately my LS LWB Exec didn't have any of those problems and I pulled the trigger. BTW, none of the three Lexus sales people, including the Sales Manager said that they had ever heard of CL. I suggested that they look at the site - it might prepare them better for customers. The sales manager did admit he had heard of the wind noise issue and it was a problem with the side view mirror which was being fixed.
Old 11-01-07, 03:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

BTW, none of the three Lexus sales people, including the Sales Manager said that they had ever heard of CL.

There's a technical term for this ......... lying.

Its a symptom present in many, but not all, salespersons.
Old 11-01-07, 03:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Oh, and I forgot to add. For those who are not lying, the problem is ignorance.

In either case, its not pretty.
Old 11-02-07, 04:46 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
I, for one, stumbled upon the CL website only a day before going to the Lexus dealer (it was a Costco reference to go that dealer). Where I read about the wind noise was from the owners comments in Edmunds.com, where I think a lot of people would go to do research. I then googled wind noise and Lexus and got the CL reference. I then spent a couple of hours going through the issues raised in CL - such as wind noise, transmission hesitation and glove box rattle. This gave me very specific things to listen for and feel during my test drive. Fortunately my LS LWB Exec didn't have any of those problems and I pulled the trigger. BTW, none of the three Lexus sales people, including the Sales Manager said that they had ever heard of CL. I suggested that they look at the site - it might prepare them better for customers. The sales manager did admit he had heard of the wind noise issue and it was a problem with the side view mirror which was being fixed.
My dealers (I bot from two different ones at two different times) claim they never heard of CL either. I agree...they are probably lying.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)