LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What is the avg age of the LS buyer? (merged)

Old 11-12-11, 11:40 PM
aw335i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

26. Just bought an LS460 for the wife to replace her Limited 07 Avalon. Amazing car. I daily drive a BMW 335i coupe. I am very jealous of her ML sound system though. lol
Old 11-13-11, 01:54 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aw335i
26. Just bought an LS460 for the wife to replace her Limited 07 Avalon. Amazing car. I daily drive a BMW 335i coupe. I am very jealous of her ML sound system though. lol
Damn, i'd marry you for an ls
Old 11-13-11, 04:01 AM
Boompa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I haven't read the pages and pages of responses (and won't) but I have been shocked at the ages I'm seeing: 26, 29, 30, 32, 41, etc.

I'm 61 and when I go in the local Lexus dealer showroom or service area as far as 460L owners I'm the youngest by a decade most of the time. Now there ARE 20's and 30's there with their IS and some 30-40's with their SUVs- but not LS460's. The other day when I was in the dealership I glanced in the customer service waiting area and it looked like people waiting in the arthritis clinic. Out of a dozen or so reading papers and drinking coffee, there wasn't ANYONE in the room younger than 70 and there were several well into their 80's

So here's my guess about the huge difference between this thread and what my eyes tell me...

I'm GUESSING the average LS buyer is 65 but most of those folks don't use the internet for anything more than email- if at all. Very few are involved in vehicle forums. So what you're seeing in this thread and others like it is the small minority of LS buyers who are also at the core of the internet age. This would hugely skew the "apparent" results of such a survey.

Go to retirement communities in Florida or Arizona you'll find 1000's of LS owners who are average age 76 and don't even know what the internet IS! LOL!!

When I was in my 20's and 30's I couldn't have afforded an LS- but truthfully I wouldn't have been caught dead in one even if I could have!! A corvette or porsche? Yes. An LS- no. (In fact, I also drive a porsche and a 4WD pick-up at age 61. The Lexus is for when I'm feelign "mature" and want to go for a comfortable, sedate ride to a nice restaurant or to view fall colors. It'll be at least 10-15 more years before my 460 is going to be a grocery-getter or daily driver in my mind.

To me at least, the vast majority of LS drivers have lived long enough to A) pay cash for a luxury vehicle, and B) appreciate the subtlety of comfort, fine interior appointments, etc. an LS offers. At age 61 I consider myself to be in the youngest tier of LS owners nationally: the under-65 "kids".

My 2¢,

Steve

Last edited by Boompa; 11-13-11 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 05:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Boompa
I haven't read the pages and pages of responses (and won't) but I have been shocked at the ages I'm seeing: 26, 29, 30, 32, 41, etc.

I'm 61 and when I go in the local Lexus dealer showroom or service area as far as 460L owners I'm the youngest by a decade most of the time. Now there ARE 20's and 30's there with their IS and some 30-40's with their SUVs- but not LS460's. The other day when I was in the dealership I glanced in the customer service waiting area and it looked like people waiting in the arthritis clinic. Out of a dozen or so reading papers and drinking coffee, there wasn't ANYONE in the room younger than 70 and there were several well into their 80's

So here's my guess about the huge difference between this thread and what my eyes tell me...

I'm GUESSING the average LS buyer is 65 but most of those folks don't use the internet for anything more than email- if at all. Very few are involved in vehicle forums. So what you're seeing in this thread and others like it is the small minority of LS buyers who are also at the core of the internet age. This would hugely skew the "apparent" results of such a survey.

Go to retirement communities in Florida or Arizona you'll find 1000's of LS owners who are average age 76 and don't even know what the internet IS! LOL!!

When I was in my 20's and 30's I couldn't have afforded an LS- but truthfully I wouldn't have been caught dead in one even if I could have!! A corvette or porsche? Yes. An LS- no. (In fact, I also drive a porsche and a 4WD pick-up at age 61. The Lexus is for when I'm feelign "mature" and want to go for a comfortable, sedate ride to a nice restaurant or to view fall colors. It'll be at least 10-15 more years before my 460 is going to be a grocery-getter or daily driver in my mind.

To me at least, the vast majority of LS drivers have lived long enough to A) pay cash for a luxury vehicle, and B) appreciate the subtlety of comfort, fine interior appointments, etc. an LS offers. At age 61 I consider myself to be in the youngest tier of LS owners nationally: the under-65 "kids".

My 2¢,

Steve
Probably a pretty good/accurate overview in general. It seems like the average age of new LS buyers is up around 60 or and the age of pre-owned buyers is lower than that.
Old 11-13-11, 04:27 PM
aw335i
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adamls2
Damn, i'd marry you for an ls
HAHA.. Happy wife happy life..

My 2¢,

Steve
I agree with you. I don't think I would be able to daily drive an LS because it is just too comfortable. I still want a fast nibble daily driver with some road feel. My wife (26 also) just loves big cars and takes mine when she feels like being a race car driver. We went from a Cadillad Deville, to a Toyota Avalon, then the Lexus. We test drove the Infinity m35, Lexus GS, Jaguar XF, BMW 750 Li, and the LS460 won by a long shot. It was the only car that gave her the feel she wanted while feeling like a worthy upgrade to the Avalon (because it is an amazing car) . She was easily sold after the ML, Int. Park assist (probably won't ever use, but cool to say your car can park itself. lol) and power reclining heated and cooled rear seats. She loves it.
Old 11-15-11, 10:09 AM
PhatDad
Driver

Been wanting an LS since I was 35, just picked one up at the young age of 39.
Old 11-15-11, 10:18 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2¢,

Steve
You CRACK me up !!!
It's so funny wut ya wrote ...... IF it weren't all so true.

Thanks for sharing ..........
A YOUNG <I can pretend> Mikey Lulejian (on)
<A drying up> Lake Oconee, GA

Old 11-15-11, 11:10 AM
krzyd
Driver

Some of us bought the LS because we're big guys, I have to crane my neck 90 degrees to clear the window jamb on the GS, I just look at an IS and chuckle "cute". That's just me though.
Old 11-15-11, 08:46 PM
460LSinTN
Rookie

27 first car i bought (parents gave me previous civic)
Old 11-16-11, 12:42 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krzyd
Some of us bought the LS because we're big guys, I have to crane my neck 90 degrees to clear the window jamb on the GS, I just look at an IS and chuckle "cute". That's just me though.
LOL same here
Old 12-08-11, 05:05 PM
realperson
Driver School Candidate

i am 57 first lexus at 36 in 1991
Old 12-09-11, 08:42 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my 460 three months ago at the age of 34. Been in the Lexus scene since I was 20. Sold my 430 to get the 460. Let the mods begin!!!
Old 12-14-11, 11:38 AM
tank97
Driver

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Looks like mostly over 50 or so, likely because they can afford them. Many want, only some can own. Looks like a lot of the exceptions are the sons of those with oil money.
what he said^... but i think now a days the age bracket went down to 30's and up coz u can buy 2nd hand and knowing that it will last loooong!
Old 12-15-11, 04:50 AM
mistermet
Rookie

Smile

My 2¢,

Steve
People think that if you're over 70 you must be senile. I'm 76, have owned my own computers since 1982 and have owned a Lexus LS since 2003, now driving a 2007 LS 460. I have a number of friends in their 70's who coincidentally own Lexus vehicles also and I can assure you that they are all computer savvy. Stop ragging on older folk. You might be there some day 😊
Old 12-15-11, 07:46 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was 39 when I bought mine, brand new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the avg age of the LS buyer? (merged)