LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

NAVI Update 7.1 (dealership equipment and expense)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 12:14 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have the 7.1 installation performed, were there any perceived improvements to the nuts and bolts of the navigation system. E.g. better access while in motion, more accuracy, etc
Old 11-26-07, 01:47 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by woppenhe
For those who have the 7.1 installation performed, were there any perceived improvements to the nuts and bolts of the navigation system. E.g. better access while in motion, more accuracy, etc
I haven't noticed any improvement other than the "I Agree" screen is gone and replaced by another warning screen that goes away after a couple of seconds.

I was hoping 7.1 would leave the screen where I want it (Audio) but it still defaults to Navigation on startup and/or whenever I use reverse.

Pat
Old 11-27-07, 02:34 PM
szerby
Driver School Candidate

Craig B - any chance of getting the part number and posting it? Did you get an service paperwork when you had it done? If you're like me you jam them into the glove box next to the users manual...
Old 11-27-07, 06:55 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

PT219-HDDMP-07 Nav USB UPDATE

Craig
Old 12-14-07, 01:40 PM
szerby
Driver School Candidate

After arguing with my dealers (Wayzata Lexus) service department for a whole day. they finally discovered and ordered the USB tool they need to do the update. However they say they have no way to track how the part was shipped, so it might be up to two weeks before they get it. They say it is not coming from Lexus, but the unit manufacture. Which I believe is Denso, and their electronics factory in is Tenn.
Old 12-14-07, 02:09 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Same thing at Mcgrath Lexus in Westmont, I know it took over 2 weeks to get the USB key.
Old 12-14-07, 02:55 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by szerby
After arguing with my dealers (Wayzata Lexus) service department for a whole day. they finally discovered and ordered the USB tool they need to do the update. However they say they have no way to track how the part was shipped, so it might be up to two weeks before they get it. They say it is not coming from Lexus, but the unit manufacture. Which I believe is Denso, and their electronics factory in is Tenn.
Hmm I have an old Air Force buddy that is a product manager at Denso. Wonder if he would hook me up....
Old 12-14-07, 02:59 PM
szerby
Driver School Candidate

It looks like the dealer logs on to tis.toyota.com and downloads a program called the Navigation Update Tool. That in turn takes the map dvd toyota sent them and a software key they buy together and creates a electronic image on a USB hard drive. They then take the portable hard drive to the car, and plug it in under the drivers side dash using a Firewire cable.

Then they using the car's touch screen they select update, and the cars computer pulls the image from the portable harddrive and does the update.

As they say on TV - "it's that easy!"
Old 12-14-07, 02:59 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USLEX
Hmm I have an old Air Force buddy that is a product manager at Denso. Wonder if he would hook me up....
WHOA!!! If you could get the cable, we could maybe have the means to access the operating system of the Nav. A simple download of key system files might allow someone who knows some programming (not me, unfortunately) to override the lockout with a software hack!

That would be sweet.

Old 12-19-07, 10:33 PM
szerby
Driver School Candidate

The cable is just a fireware cable, you can get them anywhere.

But moddifing the program after it has been complied and finding the right part of memory to change is like not easy. I would also guess that there is some type of checksum equation to make sure the program is unaltered before the system would allow it to be loaded.

Nothing is impossible, but the changing the wiring is a lot simpler and has been done sucessfuly already.

My dealer has finally completed the work after having the car in the show for an entire day.

I'm sure they learned a lot and hopefully other customers wanting this will have a much more pleasent experence.
Old 12-20-07, 08:08 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They have to use a key to unlock their computer, or everyone including the dealers could update for free. Even the dealer doesn't have free access to the system...

Craig
Old 12-20-07, 02:01 PM
Harbour1
Driver School Candidate

I'm about to pick up my car for the 1st time from the dealer. Where do you find the version number for the Nav?
Old 12-20-07, 02:47 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harbour1
I'm about to pick up my car for the 1st time from the dealer. Where do you find the version number for the Nav?
With the ignition on press the (Menu) button on the right side of the display.

On the next screen push the (HDD) at the top right of the screen.

The following screen will show what version you have.

Pat
Old 12-20-07, 02:52 PM
Harbour1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Pat! It will be interesting to see what version exists on a car that just got off the boat.
Old 12-20-07, 03:30 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by szerby
The cable is just a fireware cable, you can get them anywhere.

But moddifing the program after it has been complied and finding the right part of memory to change is like not easy. I would also guess that there is some type of checksum equation to make sure the program is unaltered before the system would allow it to be loaded.

Nothing is impossible, but the changing the wiring is a lot simpler and has been done sucessfuly already.
Oh, I thought the connector under the dash had its own pinout.

I agree modding the program wouldn't be easy for you or me, but consider what else the script kiddies have cracked, and this should be a walk in the park for them. I mean, if some kid in Indiana can break into the Pentagon's computers and play with missiles, or your little geeky nephew can re-write X-Box games so he always wins, this is nothing. And all you usually do to satisfy checksums is keep the character count the same.

I know I'm oversimplifying, but it boils down to the file containing the command that says something like [if VSS signal value > "0", disable actions]. The VSS value represents speed greater than 0mph (sent by the Vehicle Speed Sensor), and the actions disabled are those that go grey when the car starts moving.

If someone could set the VSS value to "100" instead of "0", then load the modified file in place of the original one, the band-aid wiring harness wouldn't be needed and we'd have full functionality.

A guy on the Acura TL forum modded the .bin file on that Nav to bypass the "OK" screen, change the screen text, and display a graphic of your choice in place of the usual startup screen. He knew how to use a disassembler and hex editor to access and change the code, and it was actually an easy job for him. That's the kind of hacker we need.

Quick Reply: NAVI Update 7.1 (dealership equipment and expense)