LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

More KEY findings for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 04:35 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default More KEY findings for LS460

I found it annoying that the driver's door opened when I touchec the handle but I still had to fumble with either the FOB or the interior unlock button to let my front seat passenger in. On the other hand, especially when my wife and daughter drive the car, I do NOT want the passenger doors to automatically unlock with the driver's door for obvious security reasons.

What I found is that if you approach the car and first touch the handle of the driver's side REAR door, all 4 doors unlock. It's just a quick "lean" away from normally opening the driver's door and a great alternative to keep in mind when approaching the car with passenger(s). I found that if I open the driver's door THEN reach in to unlock the passenger doors, people have already grabbed the handles in anticipation of them being unlocked like the driver's door. This "no extra brain, little extra energy" alternative solves that and let's you choose "on the fly" whether to open just the driver's door or all 4.
Old 10-21-07, 06:54 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You are right - I've gotten the routine down well. As I approach the car with guest I just touch a rear door handle and all doors are ready when they are.
This is much easier than prior cars where you either had to hit the key fob twice or immediately reach in and open the other doors after opening the drivers door.

Dave Mac
Old 10-21-07, 07:26 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the whole thing programed out to open all 4 all at once and lock them all at once when I want.
Old 10-21-07, 07:30 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

"when I want".

What does THAT mean? I thought if you reprogrammed the key, it would unlock all 4 doors when you want AND EVEN WHEN YOU DO NOT WANT!
Old 10-21-07, 11:34 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting, I did not realize that touching the rear doors first would do that, I thought they only opened the door you touch--whichever door that is.
Old 10-21-07, 11:41 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daryll40
"when I want".

What does THAT mean? I thought if you reprogrammed the key, it would unlock all 4 doors when you want AND EVEN WHEN YOU DO NOT WANT!
What I had done was bring my car to the dealer and have the car programed so all doors unlock when I either pull the handle when the key is in range or if I hit the remote unlock button. The reverse happens (all doors lock) when I hit the black button on any of the door handles and my key is in range or if I hit the remote lock button. I eliminated the problems of passengers needing or getting in before I do by doing this so that as long as I have the key and am in range, it doesn't matter who opens which handle first, they all will unlock if the car is locked. If you have security reasons that you mention that you feel you wouldn't want this, then that would be understandable.

Last edited by acecert; 10-21-07 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-21-07, 11:48 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Don't you think that is dangerous? Especially if you let your wife or daughter drive the vehicle by themselves? Anyone could jump in easily. Even if it's YOU....a car (and driver of the car) like that is a juicy target for those looking to take a shortcut to Lexus ownership. Or worse.
Old 10-21-07, 01:19 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you think that is dangerous? Especially if you let your wife or daughter drive the vehicle by themselves? Anyone could jump in easily. Even if it's YOU....a car (and driver of the car) like that is a juicy target for those looking to take a shortcut to Lexus ownership. Or worse.

perhaps the solution to your wife/daughter driving the car is to instruct them to open the car manually with the key, so all doors dont open all at once...

wait ls460s dont have actual "keys" do they? O well at least I know what too do with my first gen
Old 10-21-07, 01:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Daryl, you really should take some time to read your Owner's Manual. The door unlocking procedures and options are in there, on page 12 - "Switching the door unlock function". Further, there are some personalization settings that cover different door unlocking strategies (among others) that may suit any owner who is not satisfied with the factory settings. These are found in your Quick Guide, on page 65 - "Customizing your Lexus". I realize the size of the manual's 649 pages can be intimidating to even look at, but it is a good read for the most part. It is filled with tons of data that help you understand and make full use of all the features found on the LS460. Enjoy!

If that's still too much, pay me $500 and I'll come down and read it to you...
Old 10-21-07, 02:18 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I've read the manual twice. That's how I figured out that touching the rear door handle was an easy, available alternative that opens all doors at the same time.

What did I say here that makes you think I need to read the manual?
Old 10-21-07, 03:25 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

It can be dangerous, yes. But if someone wants in they will probably have a weapon to make that happen at which time I'll be happy to open the door. Also, there has been some controversy of having doors lock in that if you are in a bad accident and hurt it makes it difficult to get in the car. Everything is a trade-off, you just need to decide what you feel most comfortable with and I'm happy to say that your car has all the personalized settings you could possibly want to make it the way you want or very close to it.

By the way, I really like your car color. As you can see I have the silver but would much rather have chose another color.

Last edited by acecert; 10-21-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 03:45 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

What did I say here that makes you think I need to read the manual?
I found it annoying that the driver's door opened when I touchec the handle but I still had to fumble with either the FOB or the interior unlock button to let my front seat passenger in.
Sorry, but it doesn't sound like you did, because all this is covered in the manual.
Old 10-21-07, 03:58 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Sorry, but it doesn't sound like you did, because all this is covered in the manual.
As I said, I read the manual twice and perhaps did not absorb everything. You don't have to give me attitude about it.

Heck, helping each other and sharing info is what CL is supposed to be all about.
Old 10-21-07, 04:26 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Hey Daryl, let's go have a beer...
Old 10-21-07, 04:43 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Hey Daryl, let's go have a beer...
DEAL! But I we'll go in MY car and I'll unlock the passenger side by touching the rear driver's side door handle!

Quick Reply: More KEY findings for LS460