LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Happy with your LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 10:58 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also really dislike round analog clocks in the center of the dash. I don't need Big Ben in the center when a digital one is fine and takes less space. At least the S550 one is square and between the vents so it doesn't stick out as much like a sore thumb, but I agree it isn't necessary.
Old 10-06-07, 12:20 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The Lexus digital clock is updated automatically through the GPS system.

You can't do that with an **** clock. Oops sorry, analog...
Old 10-06-07, 12:35 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby

Oh, come on. People who invented fully-automated parallel parking cannot build an electronically adjustable clock? It doesn't have to be a Rolex, it can be a quartz watch. It doesn't even have to be atomically-accurate. I simply prefer the looks of a "Big Ben" to a cheap electronic readout. I think it adds certain warmth and the car feels more cozy with an analog clock.
Old 10-06-07, 02:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I guess Lexus can't be all things to all people...

I like it this way, you like it that way.

Vive la difference!
Old 10-06-07, 04:00 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burnaby

sorry to burst your bubble but self adjustable **** clocks, opps i mean analog clocks have been in the market for the last 4 years. guess lexus just likes the cheap 25 years old timex look.
Old 10-06-07, 04:30 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Thanks Raj; I learn something new every day...
Old 10-06-07, 07:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
& the S550 too? While I have grown to like the new S-class more, that analog clock with the chrome vents on the middle of the dash is still an eyesore.
yes, don't even get me to describe how disgusting my wife looked when she saw that analog clock. it was funny how she said that makes the car looks 10 yrs older
Old 10-07-07, 02:54 PM
Astie
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry to say that I'm unhappy that I purchased an LS460, and knowing what I know now, I would never purchase it again.

On the good side, it has a great appearance, a good engine, and a fabulous sound system. There's lots of body roll when you corner hard, but the car sticks pretty well.

However, I've had endless and continuing problems with the electronics on the vehicle. I've described them in other posts here. I feel some of the gadgetry was rushed into the vehicle without sufficient testing and debugging.

The front seats are uncomfortable with a lump in the middle of the back of both seats - I feel it, my wife feels it, my friends feel it - my dealer's service manager says they are normal. The seats in my previous LS vehicles have been great, and I suspect it's an issue with the heating/cooling through the seats.

The wind noise was supposed to be fixed on my vehicle (built June '07) but we hear it. The service folks refused to fix it, saying it's normal, and we only hear it because the car is so quiet.

The road noise on Bridgestone tires is quite loud compared to my wife's much less expensive car.

Enough has been said about the limitations of the navigation system when moving. I guess Toyota management never considered that that there might be a front seat passenger. Other than the limitations when moving, which is only an issue when I have a passenger, it's a great system.

I'm pretty tired of the dealership putting up roadblocks to fixing the car. This is my third LS. I think it will be my last. This vehicle has been in the shop more than both my previous vehicles combined (and I owned them for a total of 16 years).

I know that no car is perfect. I'm not an enthusiast, but I expect my car to take me where I need to go, to be comfortable and relaxing, and not to have to think about it constantly. After three months in this car, I dislike having to drive it, my wife wants us to use her car because she dislikes this one, and I'm seriously thinking about taking the major hit of trading it. The hit would be around $15k, including sales tax and license fees, but it's enough of pain to be worth it.
Old 10-07-07, 04:43 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Tell your dealer to do their homework. This thread deals with the seat discomfort issue. Most if not all the important TSIBs are detailed here, in particular the ones you are expressing concerns over, courtesy of clambros. Enlist the assistance from the salesman who sold you the car. If you still don't get any satisfaction from your dealer, call Lexus Corporate to report their incompetence. They would be very interested in hearing what you have to say, and put the wheels in motion to give you satisfaction. It sounds like a few idiots you're dealing with need their cages rattled.
Old 10-07-07, 05:49 PM
Astie
Driver School Candidate

Burnaby, I'm aware of the thread on on uncomfortable seats - in fact, you will note that I posted in it. I'm also very aware of the list of TSIBs, and I have looked at all of them that might be relevant.

Sadly, postings in this forum have little weight with my Lexus dealership, and there doesn't appear to be a TSIB covering the seat problem (or did I miss it?). When the dealership service manager says there's no issue, and absent a confirming TSIB, it's a major pain to get a fix. It is also annoying that the dealership seems to treat customers as technical illiterates - having a Masters in Electrical Engineering and 30+ years engineering experience doesn't seem to change that attitude at all.

I have also talked to the salesman who sold me the car, and he declined to try the seats saying that there's nothing he can do if the service manager has already looked at it. There is already a case open with Lexus on this car regarding intermittent issues with the transmission and electronics, but a case number isn't a fix.

It's possible this may be a general issue with my dealership. When discussing the problems with my car at the office, several other people have chimed in with negative views of them.

I have a tendency to judge companies by how they deal with problems when they occur, as they inevitably will in any business. I had no problems with my previous two LSes and so I was a happy camper. I have had problems with this car and I feel that neither the dealership nor Lexus have stepped up to address the issues.

I have talked to a lemon law attorney, and her view was that the problems are not (yet) sufficient to justify a legal case against Lexus. I happen to disagree with her, but I don't have any wish to undertake a court case that could easily exceed the cost of trading the vehicle (in time, money and stress) but with no certainty of a positive outcome.
Old 10-07-07, 06:14 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My answer for the 1st post in this thread: Yes, 100%. The few issues I had with the car were solved quick and very well. No complaints.
Old 10-07-07, 06:35 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Astie
Burnaby, I'm aware of the thread on on uncomfortable seats - in fact, you will note that I posted in it. I'm also very aware of the list of TSIBs, and I have looked at all of them that might be relevant.

Sadly, postings in this forum have little weight with my Lexus dealership, and there doesn't appear to be a TSIB covering the seat problem (or did I miss it?). When the dealership service manager says there's no issue, and absent a confirming TSIB, it's a major pain to get a fix. It is also annoying that the dealership seems to treat customers as technical illiterates - having a Masters in Electrical Engineering and 30+ years engineering experience doesn't seem to change that attitude at all.

I have also talked to the salesman who sold me the car, and he declined to try the seats saying that there's nothing he can do if the service manager has already looked at it. There is already a case open with Lexus on this car regarding intermittent issues with the transmission and electronics, but a case number isn't a fix.

It's possible this may be a general issue with my dealership. When discussing the problems with my car at the office, several other people have chimed in with negative views of them.

I have a tendency to judge companies by how they deal with problems when they occur, as they inevitably will in any business. I had no problems with my previous two LSes and so I was a happy camper. I have had problems with this car and I feel that neither the dealership nor Lexus have stepped up to address the issues.

I have talked to a lemon law attorney, and her view was that the problems are not (yet) sufficient to justify a legal case against Lexus. I happen to disagree with her, but I don't have any wish to undertake a court case that could easily exceed the cost of trading the vehicle (in time, money and stress) but with no certainty of a positive outcome.
I really feel your pain, Astie. I was in a somewhat similar situation prior to my dealer's (Jim Pattison Lexus) taking the bull by the horns and initiating the window noise repair "under warranty". Lexus Canada was deaf to their inquiries about this issue, as they claimed they hadn't heard of it. I printed out the TSIB, and my dealer used it as a parts list and went ahead with the repair, for which I highly commend them. It might have helped that Jim Pattison is one of Canada's billionaires, and he has a forty year history in this business, I dunno.

Your seat problem sounds like one that might be addressed in the same manner described by shawnjohn9 in the same thread. I believe he works at a Houston Lexus dealership. I haven't felt this phenomena, unless I slide the seat cushion completely forward. In that position, the hard lump comes into play, almost as though they used too little foam in that area. Since I only weigh 165 pounds, I can adjust to almost any seat configuration.

Nevertheless, from the sounds of the varied responses from our posters' dealers, there are obviously mixed results between one dealership and another. And that is not good. I don't know where in California you reside, but a change of venue might yield better results. I am an engineer as well (Mech), so it is difficult for any service department to try and talk circles around me. I try not to expose this advantage in order to gauge their depth, but often it's hard not to if I encounter some resistance. It's always a balancing act, in any case.

It's obvious you've exhausted all available routes, so the only recourse may be to bring Lexus to the table (legally), and hold their feet to the fire. Failing that, I would reach the same conclusion you have. Good Luck Astie!
Old 10-07-07, 07:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your suggestions, Burnaby. I hope those who have issues with their vehicles get it resolved some way or another.
Old 10-08-07, 01:11 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Originally Posted by Astie
I know that no car is perfect. I'm not an enthusiast, but I expect my car to take me where I need to go, to be comfortable and relaxing, and not to have to think about it constantly. After three months in this car, I dislike having to drive it, my wife wants us to use her car because she dislikes this one, and I'm seriously thinking about taking the major hit of trading it. The hit would be around $15k, including sales tax and license fees, but it's enough of pain to be worth it.
My feelings exactly. BTW, I was driving the ES350 loaner for 3 days. Initially it felt uncomfortable, getting into a cheaper car, but the ride is better in many ways. I can actually drive this car and not think about noise, suspension and transmission. I think the noise is even less in this car than in LS460. At least I don't remember hearing it. I actually prefer not noticing the noise to noticing all kinds of noise in an exceptionally quiet cabin

Tomorrow I'll get my LS back with transmission upgrage. We'll see how it goes...
Old 10-08-07, 08:23 PM
ghmundt
Driver

As one of the first people to get an 07 LS 460, I quickly concluded I didn't like it as well as the LS430 I gave up. Back then, everyone on the site thought that was heresy. It is nice to know that, unfortunately, many others feel the same as I do.

Quick Reply: Happy with your LS460?