LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Quality of Real-Time Traffic display

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 05:52 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of Real-Time Traffic display

At least in the Houston area, the Real-Time Traffic data has large gaps in the traffic flow - on highways throughout the area. Some of the gaps are there all of the time - some are intermittent and come and go. This negates much of the value of the Real-Time Traffic display - if you can't see the traffic flow for the entire route.

I've tried calling XM - and their customer service staff are geared towards support for XM Radio - not the traffic data. They told me to 'contact my manufacturer'.

Had our Lexus dealer check the problem on the last service visit - and they verified another LS460 had exactly the same problem. They suggested I contact Lexus Customer Service.

Lexus Customer Service checked into the problem - and stated that Lexus cannot be responsible for the quality of the XM traffic data. They tried unsuccessfully to contact XM about the issue - which sent them to the group at XM responsible for cancelling contracts. When Lexus Customer Service called me back, they said this wasn't a Lexus problem. Denso supplies the navigation system - and it's Denso's problem.

I went to Denso's website - and sent an e-mail yesterday to Denso asking for assistance. Since Denso is a supplier for Lexus - and doesn't deal directly with Lexus customers, I'm not optimistic I'll get a response from Denso.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

If so, has anyone checked XM real-time traffic systems from other manufacturers (Cadillac, Infinity, ...) to see if the problems are unique to Lexus or shared by all of the manufacturers?
Old 09-14-07, 07:28 AM
hankbrande
Driver School Candidate

I notice here in the DC area consistently missing traffic flow data for Arlington and Mongtomery counties. Flow data for I-66 between exit Manassas and Gainesville seems to be intermittent.

I am disappointed to hear about XM's lack of support or answers for this.
Old 09-14-07, 07:46 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I've had limited experience with it in Boston, but it does not appear to be accurate. When my trial is up I'll subscribe to the radio but not the traffic.

I'm certain this is strictly an XM problem, not any fault of Lexus.
Old 09-14-07, 08:12 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm between NYC and Philly. What I've noticed so far is in surrounding Philly traffic alerts have not be accurate. However near NYC just the other day it was spot on. Yellow congestion signs also showed up for the first time at he locations and if you pushed the icon it would also inform you. I've never seen that until the other day. I may have not had the screen adjust that far out before.

When I first took ownership I drove from NJ to HH South Carolina on I-95 and the traffic info was way off.

Sorry I can't compare while we have navigation in our XC-90 V8 it does not have satellite radio available yet.

My problem is I have not had the time to figure out how to get the nav to redirect me around congestion.

The finger pointing and poor service does not surprise me at all. I'm glad your taking steps to hold someone accountable and improve the product. I'm having similar problems with Apple iTunes music software and ipod nano hardware pointing fingers at each other.
Old 09-14-07, 03:08 PM
BigDad
Driver School Candidate

The traffic updates are provided to XM by another vendor. You can find them at www.traffic.com. It is a NavTeq company, the same guys who do the maps themselves. They may be the one you need to call.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-07, 04:12 PM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Without more data, it's hard to tell where the problem actually lies.

Is there anyone with an LS that has perfect Real-Time Traffic Flow data?

Or has everyone decided to tolerate incomplete data - and hasn't felt it was worth complaining about it to Lexus?

And does anyone know if XM Nav Traffic is working better or worse on systems from other manufacturers?

The problem could be with XM's transmission.

It could be with the traffic data being provided to XM (from traffic.com/NAVTEQ).

It could be with the hardware or software running on the LS Navigation Systems.

It could be an incompatibility between the current real-time traffic data and the maps installed on the LS (which are at least a year old).

If we could find anyone that has a perfect experience with that - that would at least give us a starting point to identify where the problem lies...
Old 09-14-07, 05:03 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a lot of finger pointing going on. It's apparent this technology is still at the pioneering stage, so we may still be years away from more consistency, especially considering they are blaming each other for the gaps in their system. It's hard to fathom how they can blame Denso. That's like blaming the coffee maker for poor tasting beans...
Old 09-14-07, 05:39 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

The google maps on my iPhone has more real-time traffic info in the NYC/NJ area than the XM nav traffic on the LS.
Old 09-14-07, 06:30 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

In California, it reads but is totally inaccurate in some places. I go to the gym at 4:00 a.m. when there is no traffic on the freeway and each morning it had a yellow line on both sides of the freeway and there was no traffic. I checked it consistently each morning I went and it showed yellow most of the time...so, I decided not to subscribe to traffic until and if they can get accurate data flowing through the system.
Old 09-14-07, 07:12 PM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

At least you're getting data - even if it isn't accurate.

In Houston pretty much every highway has gaps in the data - in both directions - making the system pretty useless to determine how well the traffic is actually moving.
Old 09-15-07, 12:19 AM
lexus111
Rookie

In Vegas we don't have the colored lines yet but we do have the accidents and other items icons .... Recently I was in the Los Angeles area during a weekday afternoon and a Saturday daytime and I found the Navtraffic to be very accurate with the colored lines representing the actual flow of traffic.... most were Green but some were yellow and a few were Red and those areas were accurate to the actual flows that we experienced almost within about a 1/4 mile
Old 09-15-07, 11:13 AM
woppenhe
Rookie

Default Los Angeles Traffic Reporting

I find this one of the most satisfying features of the vehicle. Obviously, it is only going to be as accurate as the reporting system itself, but at least, here in LA, it seems to be fairly accurate. Once you get outside the LA area, the reporting pints are few and far between, but that is to be expected. I am not sure the origin of the reports, but it may have something to do with CalTrans, as most of the news stations and even my computer can draw up the same data.
Old 09-16-07, 02:44 AM
Astie
Driver School Candidate

In the San Francisco Bay Area the traffic volume data appears to be accurate for Highways 85, 101, 237 and 280 around San Jose, also 680 and 880 in the East Bay. The construction location data appears to be correct, and on the two occasions I've happened upon accidents they were both on the navigation map. On the other hand, in one case the system was indicating an accident at the junction of Highways 85 and 101 where there was none, which I put down to old data about a cleared incident.
Old 09-16-07, 09:45 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Fellas - just be thankful that you have a LEXUS Nav .. and not
a Mercedes Benz Nav!

The Nav in my ’08 E350 is absolutely pathetic!! 12 to 15 years
behind everybody else! No Touch Screen, won’t take you to an
exact location, screen is super bland, no traffic or gas stations
and most roads aren’t named. (The list goes on and on ..)

It is so pathetic that last week I bought a Garmin nuvi 680 that
now sits on the dash. It is GREAT! But, isn’t it disgusting that a
MB owner has to buy a portable nav to stick on the dash?!?

I’m not faulting any of you who want to “correct” any problems
you’re having. I just couldn’t help but share my experience.

Big Jimm
Old 09-16-07, 03:41 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Default Phoenix XM Navtraffic Experience?

Has anyone with Navtraffic had the opportunity to drive in the Phoenix area and determine the level of accuracy for this market? My prior Navtraffic experience in the Seattle area was pretty good except for a few areas which did not seem to be regularly reported. I thought it was good enough to consider renewing but not sure how accurate it is in Phoenix where the 460L is now.

Quick Reply: Quality of Real-Time Traffic display