LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is this true? Am I reading this right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 10:31 AM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true? Am I reading this right?

The LS460 does NOT have as soft a ride as the LS430 (without European suspension)? I'm reading that people are feeling road imperfections much more than with their now traded-in LS430s.

The LS460 is NOT as quiet as the LS430? There's windnoise that was not heard in the LS430?

Yes, I know there's a fix coming for the wind noise.

Any thoughts or opinions on any of this?
Old 07-12-07, 10:34 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

might be the tires...lexus never chooses the right stock tires

windnoise can happen to any brand, im sure there were little rattles and such in the first gen ls430
Old 07-12-07, 10:46 AM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

Most important to me is the ride.. I like the way old Lincolns and Cadillacs used to ride. If the ride isn't as soft and "unattached" as the LS430, I'd prefer the LS430 then...
Old 07-12-07, 11:03 AM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

From what I'm reading, it appears Lexus has stiffened the suspension a bit. To give a more firm ride.. Honestly, I loved the ride of the stock LS430. I'm pretty sure that was the softest riding option available.. That's what I'd like to see for the LS460.

To people who've traded in their LS430s for LS460s (SWB) - how much stiffer is the ride?
Old 07-12-07, 11:32 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I sold my 2002 LS 430 for the LS 460 SWB. Not only does the 460 have a stiff ride, but the seat's are not as plush either. The seats on the 460 are more like sports car seats compared to the LS 430. I don''t think it's just the tires. I have Dunlop's on my car and others have said the Bridgestone's are hard riding tires. I took a friend for a ride and he liked my LS 430 better than my 460. He didn't like the harsh ride of the 460 compared to my 430. You really need to take a test drive before you buy. I've also heard the air suspension has an even harder ride. I don't know about that, but you should check into before you buy. Yes, I also have the wind noise. My LS 430 did not have any wind noise. I have an appt. schedeuled for July 24th to have the wind noise repaired for the second time. I hope this fix works! I really like the 460. The Mark Levinson system in the 460 is much better than the 430...

Good luck!

Craig
Old 07-12-07, 12:43 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

so lexus has finally succumbed to the pressures of having better handling and feedback.
Old 07-12-07, 12:49 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow if some of you here are describing the LS-460 ride as "harsh" I really can't imagine how the LS-430 was. I have never driven one before, but for my standards the 460 ride is very smooth and comfy. The 460 is a fast car, so I think the so called "stiffer" suspension is a necessity.

I simply love the way this car rides. It's not on clouds and it's not a go-kart. I think it's just right for what the LS-460 is - a luxury car.
Old 07-12-07, 12:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most reviews still suggest that the LS 460 has a smooth, comfortable ride. Yes, the suspension has been tightened up a bit, but there still is that pillowy quality which LS buyers enjoy.
Old 07-12-07, 01:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There are two different shock absorber configurations for the LS460, conventional on the SWB, and pneumatic on the LWB. The latter is stiffer due to the very nature of its design. The former on the other hand rides very nicely; however I've had it at 50mph in a cloverleaf in standard mode, and it didn't complain one bit.
Old 07-12-07, 01:05 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

When it comes to the feel of the suspension it really is a matter of personal preferences and personal driving habits. Some people are finding the SWB ride too harsh, and others are spending $10K for the L plus another $3K just to get the touring suspension.

I really preferred a better suspension for my SWB, but for me it was foolish to spend $13K more just for that (also considering I didn't want a bigger car). If the touring had been available in the SWB, I would have ponied up the extra for that. I agree with Luxo that with all the power this car has, Lexus couldn't make the suspension too cushy. Of course the Electronic Stability Control probably makes it pretty difficult for the less competent driver to get into trouble anyway.
Old 07-12-07, 01:18 PM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
I sold my 2002 LS 430 for the LS 460 SWB. Not only does the 460 have a stiff ride, but the seat's are not as plush either. The seats on the 460 are more like sports car seats compared to the LS 430. I don''t think it's just the tires. I have Dunlop's on my car and others have said the Bridgestone's are hard riding tires. I took a friend for a ride and he liked my LS 430 better than my 460. He didn't like the harsh ride of the 460 compared to my 430. You really need to take a test drive before you buy. I've also heard the air suspension has an even harder ride. I don't know about that, but you should check into before you buy. Yes, I also have the wind noise. My LS 430 did not have any wind noise. I have an appt. schedeuled for July 24th to have the wind noise repaired for the second time. I hope this fix works! I really like the 460. The Mark Levinson system in the 460 is much better than the 430...

Good luck!

Craig
Great comparison/review. Thank you.

Originally Posted by RXSF
so lexus has finally succumbed to the pressures of having better handling and feedback.
It does seem that way.. Oh well.. I suppose it makes Some sense to stiffen the suspension, but I'd rather not see that happen. I don't think it would be unsafe to have kept the ride as soft as before...
Old 07-13-07, 08:26 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

HAHA! Some of these posts are funny. The seats on my LS460L are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Runner up in seat comfort is my former M5 with comfort package. My old LS430 was nice, but not as nice as this newer design. There is no sports car on the market that has seats as soft as the LS.

Put the suspension into Comfy mode, and it is soft. I dont remember my LS430 being softer, but it if was, it could not be that much. The car rides extremely smooth and soft. Put it in sport mode and it firms up.

As far as windnoise, my LS460L is more quiet than my LS430 was. If there is any windnoise, it is not enough to bother me. I think a lot of people are being **** about the noise, while others have legitimate complaints. I am sure the windnoise is different is every car.
Old 07-13-07, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocman
HAHA! Some of these posts are funny. The seats on my LS460L are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Runner up in seat comfort is my former M5 with comfort package. My old LS430 was nice, but not as nice as this newer design. There is no sports car on the market that has seats as soft as the LS.

Put the suspension into Comfy mode, and it is soft. I dont remember my LS430 being softer, but it if was, it could not be that much. The car rides extremely smooth and soft. Put it in sport mode and it firms up.

As far as windnoise, my LS460L is more quiet than my LS430 was. If there is any windnoise, it is not enough to bother me. I think a lot of people are being **** about the noise, while others have legitimate complaints. I am sure the windnoise is different is every car.
well i guess in your case the lwb really helps a lot. since you have so many sport cars, i bet the seats in the LS blow the others away and since you have lwb, you have the air suspension where the ride is substantially better than the swb, much softer and forgiving. and on the windnoise, you have the lwb which has laminated glass already so you are safe. so far all the complaints are from the swb as well

i guess it just seems like lwb is a better buy, haha
Old 07-13-07, 09:59 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the ride of the LS460 and think it is very good (exactly what I would expect in a car of this class).

Of my cars:
PorscheI have larger wheels than standard with low profile tires). The ride is responsive but punishing.
RX330: Not much feedback and feel a lot of roll in the turns.
LS460: Nice balance of feedback, performance and smoothness although sometimes I think about putting 19's just to make it a little more sporty... In general I love the ride.
Old 07-13-07, 11:56 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and since you have lwb, you have the air suspension where the ride is substantially better than the swb, much softer and forgiving.
Funny, I was told and have read that it is the other way around; the pneumatic shocks are firmer.

Quick Reply: Is this true? Am I reading this right?