LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 12:48 PM
dayslate90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Anybody know if the radar cruise can be added after delivery?
Old 06-27-07, 01:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Simple answer: no.

More in-depth answer: not unless you spend thousands of dollars extra. The sonar system needs to be intergrated into the car's "computer" so that it is matted to the regular cruise control, throttle, brakes, seatbelt tensioners, and the such. Doing so would take a lot of aftermarket engineering and labor, which would not be cost effective.
Old 06-27-07, 04:45 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you've used Radar cruise control, you won't want to be without it.

Not only does it make driving easier in light to moderate traffic by maintaining a safe distance, but should your attention get diverted for a few seconds and the car in front of you chooses THAT time to slow down, the radar cruise control may just save you from a nasty incident, either by just slowing down, or by slowing down and warning you to PAY ATTENTION!

Regular cruise control seems much less usefull now, with all of the constant adjustments necessary.

HBH
Old 06-27-07, 06:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Helmar
Once you've used Radar cruise control, you won't want to be without it.
I don't feel that way though.

I see the value in the PreCollision System, but the Radar Cruise is too sensitive. It stops too soon when the car in front of you slows down (even at its most sensitive setting), as the brakes are applied a good one or two car lengths before you would do so yourself.

And for $3000, it is a bit steep. If my car didn't have it, I wouldn't be regretful. And I would have a little more $$ in my wallet...
Old 06-27-07, 08:53 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

The only radar cruise control car I ever drove was an Infiniti Q45 and it was nothing short of spectacular. Once I experienced that I swore I would never buy another car without it. I never got to try the Lexus radar cc since not a single car in the entire northeast came with it. I had to special order my car just so I could get it.

I'm a little concerned its not going to be as good as the Inifinti version based on your comments Phillip, but it has to be better than nothing.

Also did you mean its least senstive setting?
Old 06-28-07, 08:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Also did you mean its least senstive setting?
I meant that the setting I typically set it on is with the radar cruise control activating as close/near to the vehicle in front as possible. It can determine (you can choose) to activate the system's brakes if the car in front is about nine, six, or three car lengths in front of you.

I just find that the LS is a bit over-protective. What the LS detects as too close (therefore activating the system), is far too soon for my taste. The car would slow down significantly more than I would do so if I applied the brakes. Because of this, the car brakes too often and does not accelerate quickly enough, and leaves huge gaps while driving, making other drivers cut me off.
Old 06-28-07, 09:39 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I meant that the setting I typically set it on is with the radar cruise control activating as close/near to the vehicle in front as possible. It can determine (you can choose) to activate the system's brakes if the car in front is about nine, six, or three car lengths in front of you.
I don't believe that that's exactly what the setting is for.

Rather than adjusting the SENSITIVITY, you're adjusting the DISTANCE you want to be from the car in front. This distance is speed sensitive, just as it should be.

When I'm using the laser/radar cruise control, and I'm tracking the car in front of me, adjusting the setting causes me to move closer or drop back.

Maybe internally this is accomplished by adjusting the sensitivity, but that's not the effect.

HBH
Old 06-28-07, 10:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Helmar
Rather than adjusting the SENSITIVITY, you're adjusting the DISTANCE you want to be from the car in front. This distance is speed sensitive, just as it should be.

When I'm using the laser/radar cruise control, and I'm tracking the car in front of me, adjusting the setting causes me to move closer or drop back.
That's what I meant.

I just find that at any setting, the car adjusts/brakes too soon when moving closer, and adjusts/accelerates too late when dropping back.
Old 06-28-07, 10:22 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I love having it too, FWIW. I have the first generation system, though, in my '02 LS430UL. It only slows, but doesn't stop. Useful, but it sounds like the later versions are much more refined.

Does the latest version still not work in the rain?

Yeah, I can imagine it baby-sits you too much. But lots and lots of people tailgate too closely anyway, so maybe it really does know best.
Old 06-29-07, 04:07 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I'm very interested in PhilipMSPT's complaints about his Radar Cruise Control. I have exactly the same complaints about the Laser Cruise Control in my '05. I thought Lexus had improved the programming of the system. Apparently not. One more reason to not trade my LS430 for an LS460. I agree with those who say that they wouldn't buy another car without adaptive cruise control, however.
Old 06-29-07, 05:48 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
I love having it too, FWIW. I have the first generation system, though, in my '02 LS430UL. It only slows, but doesn't stop. Useful, but it sounds like the later versions are much more refined.

Does the latest version still not work in the rain?
In August, I'm on my way back to an LS after going from an '03 LS to an '06 BMW.

One of the few things about the BMW that's better than the LS is the dynamic cruise control.

1. It works, rain or shine. My '03 LS was LASER, and suffered in inclement weather. Hopefully my '08 RADAR version doesn't have this problem.

2. The BMW version is more responsive. When it needs to get closer to the car in front, it does so promptly and with more acceleration, while the LS was much slower doing so.

HBH
Old 06-29-07, 11:56 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll buy it when they add dynamic radar at the back of the car, pushing tailgaters back when they're following too closely, using a particle beam.
Old 07-02-07, 06:13 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Neet. A rail-gun option. Why didn't I think of that. Just erase the car behind you.

Burnaby, you're a genius. ,