LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

hold button on steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 08:29 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hold button on steering wheel??

what is the hold button for on the steering wheel? I dont have the owners manual, thanks!
Old 05-27-07, 08:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

It's for the brake-hold feature - just push down the brake pedal, push the button on the steering wheel, and the brakes stay on regardless until you touch the gas pedal.
Old 05-27-07, 09:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

does the brake pedal actually stay depressed? or does it come back forward but continue to be stopped...?
Old 05-27-07, 09:44 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all electric. The pedal won't stay depressed because the system works at the wheels, not at the pedal.

You can turn on/off the hold feature at any time just pressing that button on the steering wheel. A green "hold" idiot light comes up, and when you press the break pedal and the car comes to a full stop, another idiot light (amber) comes indicating that the car is on "hold" by the system.

Pressing the gas pedal releases the breaks and turns off the amber idiot light. The green light stays on (hold system activated) until you either press the button to turn it off, or turn the engine off.
Old 05-27-07, 09:50 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hold function...

after 3 minutes i believe the car automatically sets the parking brake. there will be a warning for you. you will have to manually disengage the parking brake to get the car going again.
Old 05-28-07, 08:05 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably one of my absolute favorite features of the car. I LOVE IT!
Old 09-08-14, 05:48 PM
HondaChuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

While your sitting there with the brake hold on, your foot is off the pedal. Do the drivers behind you still see brake lights?
Old 09-08-14, 06:22 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

Yes, the driver behind you will see your brake light. The hold button is convenient when using drive-thru windows.
Old 09-08-14, 06:34 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10

The hold button is convenient when using drive-thru windows.
Not really, IMO. When you unlatch your seatbelt to get your wallet out to pay, the system does its emergency brake thing, and it's easy to miss that this has occurred. Then, once you get your grease and hit the gas, the fun starts - NOT!
Old 09-08-14, 06:41 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

great for when stopped on steep hills zero roll back... great feature some manual cars have it as well.
Old 09-09-14, 07:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Not really, IMO. When you unlatch your seatbelt to get your wallet out to pay, the system does its emergency brake thing, and it's easy to miss that this has occurred. Then, once you get your grease and hit the gas, the fun starts - NOT!
LOL. Soooo true. On the second day I owned this car, I was at a DQ drive through. The brakes had activated while I was using the hold feature. Didn't yet know how the system worked (auto E-brake after so many minutes). I literally dragged the back end of the car to a parking stall to figure things out..."brake overheating" light came on etc. What a fiasco! LOL.
Old 09-09-14, 07:39 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my system has been "jumping/creeping" recently, and i've just replaced the rear pads.

it seems as though the brake isn't engaging fully? even on level ground.
Old 09-09-14, 07:52 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
my system has been "jumping/creeping" recently, and i've just replaced the rear pads.

it seems as though the brake isn't engaging fully? even on level ground.
Someone help us out here. I was thinking that the parking/emergency/hold brake was a drum and shoe arrangement and has nothing to do with the rear disc/pad. Anybody know?
Old 09-09-14, 11:25 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEST feature of the LS460 bar none! So useful in city driving!

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! I tell everyone about it...people think I work for Lexus
Old 09-10-14, 09:43 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Someone help us out here. I was thinking that the parking/emergency/hold brake was a drum and shoe arrangement and has nothing to do with the rear disc/pad. Anybody know?
The electronic parking brake is drum and shoe, the brake hold is actually using ECB to hold the pads in the position at which you come to a complete stop. If the car should creep or roll the car SHOULD and is supposed to increase pressure to the brakes to bring it back to a complete stop. There could be some other issue if the car is creeping forward or rolling (if on an incline).

-Joe

Quick Reply: hold button on steering wheel??