LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is it worthed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 05:47 PM
rxovermdx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worthed?

unless you make >$3-400,000 a year and live in a very nice area, I wouldn't get the new LS...(especially 600h), it is not worth your money, and don't let your wife (or your non-dominant emotional side of your brain) talk you into spending >$40k for a car....after all it is a car, point A to B blah blah, and it will for sure endure scratches, dents, wear and tear, etc. Rising gas price is bad as it is..it is just my small opinion...but you will remember me when your check book balance is dwindling
Old 04-23-07, 06:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Absolutely "worth it"...

Before I bought mine, I ruminated for six months and found more excuses not to buy it, than otherwise. When I sat in the one I eventually purchased in the showroom, all those doubts were erased from my mind, and I bought the car off the floor the next day (March 30th). Looking back it is one of the best purchasing decisions I have ever made. I even like to sit in the damn thing for hours while parked...

It must be Love...
Old 04-23-07, 06:07 PM
hawkeye-se
Driver School Candidate

Is it worthed? What?
Old 04-23-07, 06:47 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

"is it worth it"

spending 40K+ on a car isnt that ridiculous. How much did your RX cost!? mine was 48K out the door.

the way i see it, is if this 48K car is so good (best car ive driven) then a car that starts at 61K must be great!
Old 04-23-07, 07:23 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxovermdx
unless you make >$3-400,000 a year and live in a very nice area, I wouldn't get the new LS...(especially 600h), it is not worth your money, and don't let your wife (or your non-dominant emotional side of your brain) talk you into spending >$40k for a car....after all it is a car, point A to B blah blah, and it will for sure endure scratches, dents, wear and tear, etc. Rising gas price is bad as it is..it is just my small opinion...but you will remember me when your check book balance is dwindling

So how do you justify spending $40K on a Lexus RX350 over say a cheaper car like a Honda Pilot or CRV? After all, both get you from point A to point B just fine. Gas mileage is better on those smaller SUV's as well. Insurance in cheaper, maintenance is cheaper, and all that means more money in your checkbook.
Old 04-23-07, 07:48 PM
RXSF

justification is in how your *** feels after that trip from point A to point B
Old 04-23-07, 08:09 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Just so you know, many people here already meet your income and housing qualifications.
Old 04-23-07, 08:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it is just my small opinion...
That's o.k. Everyone has a different value system.

I bought the LS with the same concerns as you have. But I have realized that there are other less substantial things that one can splurge on. Some people spend money of frivolous things such as Louis Vuitton bags, or Rolex watches, or trophy wives, or even several grams of cocaine/heroine. I wanted something that would comfort me significantly as I frequent Los Angeles traffic (and if you've never driven in L.A. traffic, you'll know why we splurge on cars over here... ).

It isn't about money. It isn't about function either. If it was, everyone would be driving a Yaris.

It is about personality; albeit materialistic and sometimes superficial, we get things that would fit us best. We don't get cars because someone told us to do so; we get cars because we find it best for what we need and what we want.

I make sure that I donate to charities, put money in the savings account, splurge a little for my friends and family, and pay my bills on time. Can't I reward myself afterwards?
Old 04-23-07, 09:32 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people probably double or triple his qualifications.... I am surprised that everyone so far has been so nice about his comments. Maybe because it is the end of the weekend. I personally have found my LS to be the best car I have EVER purchased. I personally don't like the RX for many reasons but I wouldn't rip him for his purchase. That's why automakers make different models.
Old 04-23-07, 10:50 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
justification is in how your *** feels after that trip from point A to point B
in addition, if one had a serious accident b/4(and survived), he would have better understanding on the reason for getting the LS
Old 04-23-07, 11:39 PM
RXSF

technically, the RX might be safer...in a crash. id rather be in the SUV.
Old 04-24-07, 02:57 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't feel too secure in a RX or any other SUV for that matter, compared to the LS.

Check out this report: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?lexus
Old 04-24-07, 05:57 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
...Some people spend money of frivolous things such as Louis Vuitton bags, or Rolex watches
My wife loves her bags and I love my watches! I wouldn't call them frivolous at all.

At the end of the day, it is whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-24-07, 08:46 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
I would have to agree. My wife has Louis Vuitton bags and I own a Rolex watch that I wear everyday. I have always been I guess sort of CHEAP. I have never purchased a very expensive car even though I was always (almost ) making very good money. (And NO, I do not sell drugs) My wife talked me into getting an LS. Apparently, she thinks I deserve one. I love the car and of course my wife . If you can justify the cost of the car and you can afford it, go for it.
Old 04-24-07, 02:04 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
technically, the RX might be safer...in a crash. id rather be in the SUV.
No... SUVs are known for getting upside-down in accidents. I'd take the LS any day.

On "Worthed..." was that even English, or is that some myspace vernacular?
Not something a potential LS customer would say, for sure.

Quick Reply: Is it worthed?