LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

About to tint and put a clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 02:39 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default About to tint and put a clear bra

So does anyone have an LS-460 with the 3M clear bra installed? I've got a quote for around $800 to have the front (including headlamps and fogs) and the mirros protected, as well as 1/3 of the hood.

For the windows I can only go 35% legally on tint here and the product they quoted is called "President" series but I don't know the brand. Thanks to anyone that know these products and can comment/advise.
Old 03-24-07, 04:19 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the 3M clear bra that covers the front end including the lights and side view mirrors. I also have a medium tint on five windows. The film has been baked on the windows and carries a lifetime warranty (don't remember the brand name). My cost was $1100.
Old 03-24-07, 11:20 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

try to get CERAMIC tint if possible
Old 03-25-07, 10:17 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I have the 3M clear bra that covers the front end including the lights and side view mirrors. I also have a medium tint on five windows. The film has been baked on the windows and carries a lifetime warranty (don't remember the brand name). My cost was $1100.
I'm considering getting the clear bra for my silver vehicle. I understand, after talking with the installer, that the clear bra looks best on silver (least noticeable?). What color is your car? Does anyone else have the clear bra on their vehicle and what do you think of it as far as how noticeable it is on the vehicle? Any pics with one on?
Old 03-25-07, 01:45 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by acecert
I'm considering getting the clear bra for my silver vehicle. I understand, after talking with the installer, that the clear bra looks best on silver (least noticeable?). What color is your car? Does anyone else have the clear bra on their vehicle and what do you think of it as far as how noticeable it is on the vehicle? Any pics with one on?
Mercury Metallic. I don't have a digital camera, sorry. The line on the hood isn't all that noticeable, especially since you know it's there. Sometimes it depends on the angle and the lighting.
Old 03-26-07, 09:34 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3M clear coating on the car. The only thing you can see is the edge, and only if you look carefully. The material is very easy to clean and so far there are NO marks on the car itself from stones, etc.

I also got originally had tinting put on all the windows but had the rear window tinting removed because it cause several difficulties. First of all it caused the light sensitive rear view and side view mirrors to not respond well to headlights as the tinting cut down the light coming in the back window. . Although less light came in the back window, more light came from the side windows. Also at night it took much longer to recognize a problem out the rear window as it was too dark. I don't see where the tinit is needed on the back window as it has an electrically operated shade on it.
Old 03-26-07, 09:50 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Mercury Metallic. I don't have a digital camera, sorry. The line on the hood isn't all that noticeable, especially since you know it's there. Sometimes it depends on the angle and the lighting.
Thanks..I'm having one installed on Monday.
Old 03-26-07, 02:31 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Barrynsh
I have the 3M clear coating on the car. The only thing you can see is the edge, and only if you look carefully. The material is very easy to clean and so far there are NO marks on the car itself from stones, etc.

I also got originally had tinting put on all the windows but had the rear window tinting removed because it cause several difficulties. First of all it caused the light sensitive rear view and side view mirrors to not respond well to headlights as the tinting cut down the light coming in the back window. . Although less light came in the back window, more light came from the side windows. Also at night it took much longer to recognize a problem out the rear window as it was too dark. I don't see where the tinit is needed on the back window as it has an electrically operated shade on it.
With the medium tint on my windows, visibility is not a problem, especially with the backup camera. IMHO, the car would look odd with tinting on the side windows but none on the back window. I don't normally drive with the shade up.
Old 03-27-07, 02:08 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Just had my car returned with the clear bra. Looks great on the metallic silver - hardly noticable. Unfortunately, I waited to do this before I got 2 chips from rocks on the freeway on the front of the hood. I had touch up paint put on the dings but I wished I had done this before I got those dings!!

Aero Tect in La Verne, CA did the work and did a great job. I would highly recommend them!
Old 03-27-07, 04:59 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

My car is Verdigris Mica. I saw a black car with the bra at the shop and you can barely see it. It's a no-brainer IMO. Now as for the tint, I don't know any shops that install ceramic tint here (Seattle) - if anyone knows please let me know.

I'm concerned about the tinting because if I can't tint the back window I won't tint at all. The guys at the shop said some films will make AM and FM radio reception bad if the antenna is in the rear window. I believe it is on my car, as the top antenna on the roof is for SAT.

Anyone else had problems on tinting the LS-460?
Old 03-27-07, 06:52 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
My car is Verdigris Mica. I saw a black car with the bra at the shop and you can barely see it. It's a no-brainer IMO. Now as for the tint, I don't know any shops that install ceramic tint here (Seattle) - if anyone knows please let me know.

I'm concerned about the tinting because if I can't tint the back window I won't tint at all. The guys at the shop said some films will make AM and FM radio reception bad if the antenna is in the rear window. I believe it is on my car, as the top antenna on the roof is for SAT.

I tinted my car (film) and have had no issues.
Old 03-27-07, 07:51 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acecert
I tinted my car (film) and have had no issues.
Can you give some more info? Like what brand, how dark, etc... maybe some pics? Thanks!
Old 03-28-07, 06:00 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

I believe it was Titanium Film and I did medium all the way around.
Old 03-28-07, 07:30 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
. The guys at the shop said some films will make AM and FM radio reception bad if the antenna is in the rear window. I believe it is on my car, as the top antenna on the roof is for SAT.

As I mentioned previously, I wouldn't recommend tinting the rear window. However, I understand that the tinting material that my dealer is using does not have metal in it. When I had the rear window tinted i did not have any reception problems or problems with the remote in the 460L. In a previous car (Caddy STS) where metallic tinting material was used, I had to have it all removed because the remote stopped working unless I was standing at the car
Old 03-29-07, 10:23 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

This is what one of the vendors that can install the tint told me:

"The type of film that I'd recommend would be 3M's ColorStable. It is one of the top leading films on the market today. It is a non-reflective, non-metallized carbon film. It has a black color and will not interfere with any AM/FM Antennas, SAT Radio, GPS, and other sensitive on-board electronics."

Does anybody know this film?

Quick Reply: About to tint and put a clear bra