LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 without Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 06:23 PM
gatorsmile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 without Navigation

Does anyone have a LS460 without navigation that can provide pictures of the radio. I have not seen any. My father in law is concerned about the complexity of the radio with the nav system and I would like to give some decent advice before his purchase.

TIA
Old 03-18-07, 06:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a photo:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews.../photo_03.html
Old 03-18-07, 11:41 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorsmile
Does anyone have a LS460 without navigation that can provide pictures of the radio. I have not seen any. My father in law is concerned about the complexity of the radio with the nav system and I would like to give some decent advice before his purchase.

TIA
I'm surprised Lexus even sells the car without the nav. I can't image spending $60+ for a car that could even help me find where I need to go.
Old 03-19-07, 08:52 AM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should advise him to buy it with Nav if he ever plans on selling it or trading it in. Nobody will want this car without Nav and it will hurt resale value.
Old 03-19-07, 08:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

That's true, & that center panel on the dash doesn't look as good without the NAV screen.
Old 03-19-07, 01:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The non-NAVI option is only available I believe in the U.S. or maybe Canada. The articles I've read coming out of Europe and Asia talk about "standard satnav."

Maybe not a special order, but given the increasing popularity of NAVI systems, I imagine the allocation of non-NAVI LS 460s is much smaller, percentage-wise, than that of the non-NAVI ES 350.

Still, it's a way to save a hefty $$$ up front.
Old 03-22-07, 12:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It doesn't make sense.

Even if you're country doesn't have navigation system, the screen should be a STANDARD feature regardless.

Heck, have you seen GS 300 units in Singapore? Lexus Singapore DOES NOT offer GPS navigation system for their vehicles yet the screen is still made standard.

In Japan, even base-model GS 350 units (the cheapest variant available) still have the TV screen as part of standard equipment. Heck even the lowest-end IS 250 units there get a free screen.

Heck even a Nissan Murano (without navi) still has a MONITOR (just orange-LED one) with ALL of units sold. There isn't one that came out of the Japan factory without a standard monitor. Heck even a new Nissan Sentra (well the USDM one anyway) has the screen as standard. And the new Infiniti G35 (aka Nissan Skyline V36 in Japan), the screen is STANDARD (even on the cheapest 2.5 liter model) so.........

So yeah, this is senseless. Another example, a MB S-class (lowest to the most expensive variants) still gives you a screen (even if your country doesn't support GPS navi atm). The Honda LEGEND/Acura RL in other countries gets a SCREEN FOR FREE (even if the country where it is sold doesn't currently have navi)......... and heck, even a BMW 5 series has a monitor screen as STANDARD (with or without sat nav).

Bottomline:

Screw this dash with no standard TV screen

But look at this.....a Corolla that has a touch-screen...

This is an abomination unlike any other and probably an insult as well.

I mean, even if nav is not available in one country, I can't believe that a 21st century flagship would get this form of cost-cutting treatment.

My suggestion to Lexus is to stop producing units without the "touch-screen" monitor and start producing units that have those as standard equipment for all countries (with or without navi).

If I were Lexus, I'd put these TV screens as STANDARD EQUIPMENT for all units sold regardless of country/market (with or without sat nav)......even if I have to price it higher. Come on, it's better that way. The TV screen SHOULD be an integral part of ALL 4TH GENERATION LEXUS LS vehicles.

This is also saves time and effort for Lexus because the guys at Tahara don't need to seperate or even create respective dashboard inventories: one with the screen and one without.

The end result: All Lexus LS dashboards get the touch-screen monitor as standard. FINISHED.....

Lexus should not believe anymore on the XBOX 360 method: Wherein the standard HDD is not an integral part of the unit (where high-end model gets it free and the low-end model gets none).

It would've been better for MS to go with their XBOX1 route where HDD is a standard feature. Now that HDD is not an integral part of the X360 system, devs/game makers can't use it to their advantage (unlike in XBOX1).

Sony went with the XBOX1 route by letting its PS3 console have a standard HDD (20GB and 60GB). Good move for them.

But simply put, Lexus SHOULD NOT give a damn to lower-end buyers by giving a dashboard on the LS with NO SCREEN even if the price is lower and giving Lexus a bigger headache at the Tahara factory by creating TWO seperate dash inventories?!?!?!?!? I SAY NO!!!!!!

Lexus should impose an iron-hand and make the touch-screen as a worldwide standard feature.

But if worse comes to worse, if it can't be applied for the 4th gen Lexus LS, then Lexus please please make the screen a standard feature on the 5th gen one.........although it sucks that it would take 5 more years for the next gen one to come out.

Stupid low-end buyers

/rant over

Last edited by Blackraven; 03-22-07 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-22-07, 01:50 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
I think you raise very, very valid points. It seems there is still incentive out there for this design, such as the OP of this thread's relative, who finds a 'value' benefit and doesn't want the NAVI.

I agree with you, IMHO it should be like the GS where even w/o NAVI, a screen is included.

Maybe by the time the refresh mid-cycle comes around, that will be the case.

And I think actually even now the non-NAVI versions are probably much fewer than in the past. While just recently I have seen 2 LS 430s with non-NAVI/screenless dashes, I have yet to see an LS 460 without NAVI systems. There are probably fewer of those this time, what with the LS 460 going up in price and all.

And of course, right now the LS 460 L has NAVI standard, and the NAVI screen is standard on ALL LS 460s sold in Europe, and probably also in Asia.
Old 03-25-07, 06:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
I'm surprised Lexus even sells the car without the nav. I can't image spending $60+ for a car that could even help me find where I need to go.
A navigation system should come standard for this type of vehicle at this price range but Lexus like most automakers want to screw the buyer and make them pay several thousand dollars for a NAV system that should come standard. There is probrably only a handful of new LS460 in the U.S. without NAV so just about everyone who buys one is going to have to pay all that extra money to get it when it should be standard and they won't really have a choice because they make so few of them without NAV. I think it is funny that if someone did not want to pay all the extra money for the NAV system that their neighbor might have a TSX, IS, TL, RL, Accord, Altima, Avalon with nav and they are going to laugh that a high end car that costs as much as the LS does not have Navigation standard and their vehicle has a option their LS doesn't. One of the main things I like about the Acura RL is that the NAV as well as everything else is standard and you don't have to pay a bunch of money extra for it nor are their RL's rolling around better equipted them each other.

It must be me but I think I prefer the looks of the LS460 dash layout without the NAV screen. At least it will not have a bunch of ugly fingerprints and smudges on it.
Old 03-25-07, 07:17 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

In my opinion NAV is a must for this car. The picture of the car
without NAV does not look right

Also in terms of resale, I would not even consider buying an LS460
without it.
Old 03-25-07, 07:41 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Too bad Lexus doesn't offer Navigation in Hawaii. That is one the main reasons why I couldn't consider an IS350, unlike the GS where even without the navigation option you still get the LCD screen. I don't understand why the IS and LS especially doesn't offer the LCD screen standard like the GS even without navi. Because of that, in Hawaii we can't get the self parking system either. No reverse camera. It sucks for us. You can get navigation in BMW, Acura, Infiniti, Mercedes, and pretty much all the competition but not in Lexus. I wish they just resolve the map copywrite issue already and get some maps for Hawaii
Old 03-25-07, 07:55 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Why all the emotion over this question? Everyone does not need or want an in-built nav system in their personal car. I have avoided nav in the past and will likely do the same in the future. I don't like the way nav complicates controlling non-nav features like audio and climate control. We know our way around the city where we live so having nav isn't important to us.

I like that Toyota/Lexus gives us the option to have a car without nav. It is not a matter of money - it's a matter of preference.

We have portable nav that we take with us for use in rental cars when we travel - that is when we really appreciate a nav system.

BTW, in-built nav returns an extremely low percentage of the original cost at resale time. I posted industry figures previously.
Old 03-26-07, 02:28 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Jim's right guys, remember all the older folks who are gonna buy this car in florida?? No offense to the older gen out there but i bet even the regular controls look pretty complicated. Some people don't want or need nav, its good that lexus gives them a choice.

Personally I'd almost have to have nav. I have the worst sense of direction.
Old 03-26-07, 10:06 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
Jim's right guys, remember all the older folks who are gonna buy this car in florida?? No offense to the older gen out there but i bet even the regular controls look pretty complicated. Some people don't want or need nav, its good that lexus gives them a choice.

Agreed. One man's techno-gadget is another man's PITA. At least Lexus is giving their customers a choice, as opposed to the other makers.

Personally, the non-touch screen dash looks just as good to me as the touch-screen dash - and you're not constantly whiping off the finger prints.
Old 03-26-07, 12:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg

Do you think Lexus is having NAV as an expensive option just to do people a favor and give them a choice? No they are making it an option so people will be forced to have to pay thousands of dollars extra for it and then just build a handful of cars without NAV that are almost impossible to get so you are forced to get the NAV option no matter what unless you special order it and have the hastle of waiting for it and it maybe not being available in certain colors or configurations. If Lexus wanted to give people the choice then have NAV standard in a car at this price range and then offer a option of deleting it. It is a marketing practice of making a customer pay for something that they really shouldn't. It is like how Lexus and some other companies make leather a "option" on their luxury cars you have to pay extra for like on the 2nd Gen GS where you really won't find a non leather version on the lots so you are forced to pay extra for leather when it should be standard on a car like a GS. They should have leather standard in luxury cars but give buyers the option of deleting it, not charge extra for it and force people to pay for it because their are hardly any made that don't have leather so it would be almost impossible to find a non leather model. Go visit a few Lexus dealers and so how many new LS460 you see on the lots that don't have NAV and I am sure special ordering one without NAV is going to be a hastle and you will probrably not save any money by doing so because you may have to pay extra to do that or they won't bargain with you on a special order. Go see how many 2nd Gen GS don't have leather and how hard it was finding one without leather when it first came out. I must have looked at well over 700 hundred on the internet and at dealerships and only saw 1 on the internet without leather.

If car companies want to give the people the option of not having NAV, leather, or even cruise control in expensive high end cars then offer the option of deleting it instead of making people pay thousands extra for things that should be standard in that price range. Honda offers people the option of leather and NAV on Accords and civics, with a 60K+ luxury car you should at least not have to pay extra for this, it should be standard with the option of deleting it if you want.

Quick Reply: LS460 without Navigation