LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Problem with Trunk of LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 12:25 PM
ojah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Trunk of LS460L

I wonder if someone else has had this experience. Sometimes after opening fully, my trunk drops down again about halfway. I cannot think of any logical explanation for this. Moreover, it doesn't happen all the time. But the occurrences are pretty unpredictable. I took the car in to my service dept. and the trunk worked flawlessly. But later that same day, it malfunctioned. It makes a noise as it drops and comes down at a rather fast speed. In fact it's rather scarey because if it didn't stop about half-way, it could be potentially harmful.

This happens even when there is no-one near the trunk.
Old 02-05-07, 03:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

call lexus and tell them whats happening
Old 02-06-07, 08:01 AM
ojah
Rookie

Thanks for your suggestion. I just called to set up an appointment. The fact that no other LS460 owner has experienced this indicates there's something wrong with my trunk's power mechanism. The problem recurred this morning when I was setting out for work. But when I tested it later at the gas station, it worked okay. I will ask Lexus to investigate even if it works at the dealership.
Old 02-06-07, 08:04 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ojah
Thanks for your suggestion. I just called to set up an appointment. The fact that no other LS460 owner has experienced this indicates there's something wrong with my trunk's power mechanism. The problem recurred this morning when I was setting out for work. But when I tested it later at the gas station, it worked okay. I will ask Lexus to investigate even if it works at the dealership.

I was just curious for my own interest as to how you are opening and closing the trunk. Are you pushing the button on the trunk to both open and close it and letting it work itself or are you manually lifting and closing the trunk?
Old 02-06-07, 08:05 AM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no problem with mine

My trunk on my 460L has worked perfect since the day I bought it back in December. I would definitely take it back to Lexus and demand that it be fixed.
Old 02-06-07, 08:10 AM
ojah
Rookie

Originally Posted by Barrynsh
I was just curious for my own interest as to how you are opening and closing the trunk. Are you pushing the button on the trunk to both open and close it and letting it work itself or are you manually lifting and closing the trunk?

I mostly use the button underneath the trunk lid. It beeps and then the trunk opens. Sometimes I open it from inside the car using the trunk button , next to the gas button.
Old 02-06-07, 11:07 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a digital camera or something with video I recommend you film the trunk opening a few times, and catch the malfunction so you can show it to the dealer.
Old 02-06-07, 11:12 AM
ojah
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma888
If you have a digital camera or something with video I recommend you film the trunk opening a few times, and catch the malfunction so you can show it to the dealer.
Great suggestion, Enigma888! That's exactly what I'll do. Thanks!!!
Old 02-07-07, 02:12 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Default Power Open Close Trunk

This is one of the reason that I decided not to get the power door/trunk option on my LS460SWB. It seem like a nice option until it fails. I think it is a nice feature but the trunk of the LS460 opens and closes better than on the 430 because the trunk is on hinges opposed to the hydraulic like cylinders.
Old 02-11-07, 12:42 PM
jotafl
Driver

I do love that option, it is nice when you have your hands full with and pressing the button on the remote and have the trunk open waiting for you, also the doors are very nice since now I have everyone trained not to shut the doors hard.
Old 02-13-07, 09:39 PM
socaljint
Driver School Candidate

Dealer issue, mine has no problem.
Old 01-12-14, 08:51 AM
badchry
Driver School Candidate

Hey people been a lurker here for a while. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found the problem. My 07 460SWB has done it a few times. Ive searched with no hits, any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-14, 10:12 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by badchry
Hey people been a lurker here for a while. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found the problem. My 07 460SWB has done it a few times. Ive searched with no hits, any info would be appreciated.
Mine has done it also on occasion. I found two conditions that causes the motor to disengage and that is if you open the trunk on an incline or somehow accidentally inhibit the movement of the trunk opening by bumping into it as it is rising. Once I understood these conditions I haven't had a problem.
Old 01-13-14, 06:11 AM
badchry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dev for the reply. Thats interesting, my driveway is on a slope. Though it also happen at work about three times. The first time there I held it up, hit the button to close it, than tried the remote and it did it again. The first time i had used the interior button. Doesn't do it every time though. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 01-16-14, 09:19 AM
korlexus
Driver

Any updates yet?

Quick Reply: Problem with Trunk of LS460L